Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disappointing Performance Review

Options
  • 15-05-2016 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,
    I'm an computer programmer with 20 years experience. I've contracted and been permanent for various phases of my career. 3 years ago I started as an IT contractor with my current employer. A year and a half ago I was asked to take up a permanent role which after consideration I did.
    Last December I had a disappointing performance review. I was told that as I was no longer a contractor but a full time employee I needed to have more "visibility" and "presence" within the team.
    The general point I understand. However, the quality and quantity of my work, to my mind has been very good. Also, a lot of the time, to get projects over the line, I need to focus independently and communicate with other stakeholders when necessary. I've told my manager that I see "visibility" and "presence" as a part of getting the projects done anyway and these should grow as an effect. If I focus on just increasing my "visibility", aren't I taking my eye off the ball in terms of getting projects finished.
    In response to this I was thinking of setting up a technical forum which could meet every 1 or 2 months to discuss technical and project items. This would help improve both my visibility and my team mates and also boost team morale.
    The team is very busy and I really need my manager's backing on this.

Any Ideas?

I really enjoy the technical aspects of this job, but this review has disappointed me.
    Since December I believe my quality/quantity of work has got even better.
    When I've noticed an opportunity I've engaged people, informed people etc, so not quite sure if this is what's required.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Setting up the technical forum is a good initiative and it's one that I'd be delighted to see an appraisee take. You need to think about the frequency, location, timing and agenda. Think about the benefits it could bring the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Since December I believe my quality/quantity of work has got even better.

From a management point of view the review has had a positive result.

Are you working for a large US multinational?

Sometimes they employ Forced Distribution techniques where everyone needs to be graded, such as 10% Star employees, 80% okay, and 10% under performing.

You also mention that you were told you needed to be more visible, which implies you're not on great terms with your manager. And if he needed to put someone into the 'under performing' category, it can sometimes be easier to put your non friends into that category.

I may have read to much into what you said - I'm in the middle of watching Sherlock reruns :pac::o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

It's fairly common to put new hires into the needs improvement category.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 TomOBrien2605

And not on merit?!?

And not on merit?!?

Look. Stack ranking is a **** system. One of those stupid management tools that has been debunked numerous times. No argument here. No middle manager likes it.

However, if a manager has to piss off somebody, a new hire is the best option. Because most won't be in your position of having worked there before and therefore "developing" isn't a big deal. If the team keeps growing you can get achieves next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 TomOBrien2605

Look. Stack ranking is a **** system. One of those stupid management tools that has been debunked numerous times. No argument here. No middle manager likes it.

However, if a manager has to piss off somebody, a new hire is the best option. Because most won't be in your position of having worked there before and therefore "developing" isn't a big deal. If the team keeps growing you can get achieves next year.

I wonder would my technical forum initiative help. Or is it irrelevant if the newest hires are the easy targets?
    Also I would need manager to support initiative.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Based on my experiences, it's not common. In my workplace, we don't grade anyone for six months after joining, so as to give them to settle.

Being a contractor, you're probably used to a level of independence that just isn't possible as a full employee. It's easy to resolve though, by increasing your profile and showing and some initiative and mentoring/coaching skills. It sounds like you have a lot of experience that you can share with other team members, as well as keeping yourself current.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

This definitely sounds fixable at least. I think the technical forum is a really good idea, raise it with your manager.

dudara wrote: »
    Based on my experiences, it's not common. In my workplace, we don't grade anyone for six months after joining, so as to give them to settle.

Being a contractor, you're probably used to a level of independence that just isn't possible as a full employee. It's easy to resolve though, by increasing your profile and showing and some initiative and mentoring/coaching skills. It sounds like you have a lot of experience that you can share with other team members, as well as keeping yourself current.

That 6 months ends with a performance review in fact. In fact you can be let go.

I was talking about how the the first yearly review (or pro rated review) is often stacked against new hires. The op has been working 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

I would query with your manager how they believe you've processed since December, your post mentions you think your work has improved but has this been expressed by your boss. If your disappointed with a performance review then try touch base with your manager more regularly whether its updates with projects or advice/feedback.

At least then your not going to be surprised at your next review. Having carried out reviews myself in the past, if someone was surprised with how I had graded them then I had not done my job effectively by not giving enough feedback. A review should reinforce feedback you get regularly and should not be surprising. If your manager is not forthcoming with regular feedback maybe seek it out, it will definitely make you more visible anyway. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement