Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Optician

Options
  • 15-05-2016 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Need to find an optician in Galway for glasses and gas permeable contact lenses. East side/city centre preferable. Any recommendations gratefully received. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

crazyhorse wrote: »
    Need to find an optician in Galway for glasses and gas permeable contact lenses. East side/city centre preferable. Any recommendations gratefully received. Thanks

Optique opticians briarhill. Above Dunnet Stores

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Helen Walsh Middle St Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Went to Collette Kelly opticians myself at the start of the year.
    Recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Buddy74

May get into trouble with mod but don't use that high St chain (if I don't mention name no harm ) in Eyre square centre eye check is fine but all the products I purchased fell apart and yes it took me two times and one very nasty customer agent to learn my lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I went to Specsavers and found them great. The person doing the test was actually an opthalmologist from the hospital on the day I went and to say she was thorough was a radical understatement, I got a forensic going over.I thought she was brilliant. The have good machines too for diagnosis eg. for getting a photo of your retina which can pick up signs of serious illness well before you might experience them.
    For 30 euro it was a brilliant service.

If you get glasses for over 89 euro too you get a second pair free.
    They have a branch in Galway Shopping Centre on the Headford Rd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

I like Helen Walsh. Nice people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Buddy74 wrote: »
    May get into trouble with mod but don't use that high St chain (if I don't mention name no harm ) in Eyre square centre eye check is fine but all the products I purchased fell apart and yes it took me two times and one very nasty customer agent to learn my lesson.

Have to agree. Got my eyes tested and they gave me wrong prescription (young guy, barely out of college...I kept telling him he was wrong..wouldn't listen). So I went to Collette Kelly, who is great but ferociously expensive...she gave me correct prescription. Her glasses frames were very expensive too so I went back to the unnamed place in the Eyre Sq Centre and got my glasses there for cheap using her prescription. So it worked out fine for me but I was very dissatisfied with the eye test in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Have to agree. Got my eyes tested and they gave me wrong prescription (young guy, barely out of college...I kept telling him he was wrong..wouldn't listen). So I went to Collette Kelly, who is great but ferociously expensive...she gave me correct prescription. Her glasses frames were very expensive too so I went back to the unnamed place in the Eyre Sq Centre and got my glasses there for cheap using her prescription. So it worked out fine for me but I was very dissatisfied with the eye test in the first place.

I would tend to stay away from chains from sad experience. Andrea Concannon in Salthill is great. She herself wasn't in store at the time but the chap who dealt with me was excellent. Took time to deal with my concerns.

I was wondering can that always be done? Getting prescription and frames in different places? I did exactly the same myself but one store said to me the prescription they give will be perfectly suitable (ie its thickness etc) for their frames but it may not be suitable for a different store. However I felt that was a ruse but would be kicking myself if in fact the prescription from store x did not fit the frames from store y.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭crazyhorse

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply and offering helpful suggestions.

Advertisement