Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eclipse Setup Question

Options
  • 15-05-2016 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,197 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm trying to setup Eclipse as an IDE at the minute.

I've installed Indigo and JRE 1.8.0_91. I've also downloaded the java doc jdk-8u91-docs-all.zip and made it the javadoc for all jar files (some links say just for rt.jar, others said for all).

I've tried using the hover and it seems to work for most items such as String, System, out, etc. However, does (or should) this work on reserved keywords such as public, int, class, etc?

Is there anything else I need to do or check to ensure correct setup of this IDE? I've written a few basic programs and it seems to be compiling and running them as I would expect.

I'm also getting this message with getmessage() associated with an exception.

Note: This element has no attached source and the javadoc could not be found in the attached javadoc.

Have I set this up incorrectly?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

• Registered Users Posts: 8,197 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Thanks, but should I not be able to see something when I hover over it in Eclipse?

This is my code:
    public class Application {
    	public static void main(String[] args) {

try {
    			int value = 24 / 0;
    			System.out.println(value);
    		} catch (Exception e) {
    			System.out.println(e.getMessage());
    		}

}
    }

I thought I would see the below text (from your link) if I hovered over getMessage in the eclipse code:

getMessage

public String getMessage()

Returns the detail message string of this throwable.

Returns:
    the detail message string of this Throwable instance (which may be null).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Try setting the integer value to 0 or 24, or even 1 for that matter, but don't divide by 0, because it will return an undefined int.

I don't see how that will allow me to review the api for getmessage etc in eclipse:

Note how System ties in with what is stored in the API:
    System_Hover.jpg
    https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/lang/System.html

Why do these not show the same?

get_Message_Hover.jpg
    https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/lang/Throwable.html#getMessage%28%29

println_Hover.jpg
    https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/io/PrintStream.html#println%28%29

Sorry, I misread your initial post as my mind was elsewhere. I'd suggest checking this out with the Eclipse Support Forums if there are any. Someone else might weigh in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 john locke

Hi,

I'm trying to setup Eclipse as an IDE at the minute.

I've installed Indigo and JRE 1.8.0_91. I've also downloaded the java doc jdk-8u91-docs-all.zip and made it the javadoc for all jar files (some links say just for rt.jar, others said for all).

My first question would be why are you using indigo which is 5 years old? Mars is the current version with Neon coming out next month!

john locke wrote: »
    My first question would be why are you using indigo which is 5 years old? Mars is the current version with Neon coming out next month!

I must have been out of my mind with tiredness, letting that slip one through.

That is what my employer is using.

Is there any particular reason why they still use Indigo? As far as I'm aware, the next iteration, N, will be released in the near future.

I don't know - I've just started. Aerospace industry, so maybe a bit conservative?

• Advertisement
Advertisement