Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC Horizon special on vaping [22-5-2016]

• 15-05-2016 3:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭

Just a heads up for this upcoming documentary from BBC's Horizon team.

Air date: 22-5-2016

E-Cigarettes - Miracle or Menace?

Michael Mosley investigates the dramatic rise in e-cigarettes in recent years, and questions whether they are a health risk or a better alternative to smoking. He reports on the content of e-cigarettes, meets scientists who are studying their effects and takes up vaping himself to see how it effects his health.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭jonski

I have been waiting for this since I heard he took up vaping back in January . I have been watching his documentaries for a good few years and would value his opinion . I'm just hoping now that it's positive .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Thanks for the "Heads Up" I just hope to God its not anything negative as there is enough of that crap about.

jonski wrote: »
    I have been waiting for this since I heard he took up vaping back in January . I have been watching his documentaries for a good few years and would value his opinion . I'm just hoping now that it's positive .

Why would he take up Vaping if he is not a ex smoker? guess it must be just for the programme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Why would he take up Vaping if he is not a ex smoker? guess it must be just for the programme.

He's never smoked. From here :- http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2016/horizon-returns

More and more Britons are becoming regular e-cigarette users or ‘vapers’. These e-cigarettes are being hailed by some as the ultimate aid to quitting smoking, and by others as a new public health danger. Until now, the risks of smoking e-cigarettes are still widely unknown and, with regulations set to change next year, Horizon looks at the evidence out there, putting e-cigarettes to the test. In this Horizon first, we will get the answers everyone has been waiting for. Presented by Michael Mosley he puts volunteers through a vaping experiment to explore the unanswered questions. What are e-cigarettes really doing to your health? Are they really better for you than cigarettes? What is actually in them? Is passive vapour harmful? And can they really stop you from smoking? And, just to see what all the fuss is about, Michael - a lifelong ‘non-smoker’ - even takes up the habit himself.

I'm going to watch it out of curiosity to see what slant the non-political BBC puts on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭8mm

I think having a non-smoker vaping will allow them to record before and after physiological effects and act as a "control" of sorts.

Should be a interesting watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Michael Mosley did a quite positive piece about vaping a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huvPuCYoBGs

I am surprised whatever tests etc Michael is doing have not already been done!.... as the British Medical people recently said its better than smoking cigarettes surely they must have done test?. I just hope they don't come out with any negative stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Zelda247 wrote: »
    I am surprised whatever tests etc Michael is doing have not already been done!.... as the British Medical people recently said its better than smoking cigarettes surely they must have done test?

Hundreds of studies have been done, what the public have heard about is a sliver of any certain study skewed to make ecigs look bad.

It's shameful that it's taken until the month preceding the TPD for scientists to form a positive consensus on ecigs considering the wealth of evidence built up so far.
    Every negative report on a study debunked soon after. Debunking sloppy science rarely makes the front page!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭jno547

Here's a preview of the findings from the programme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B79WvOBPxns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭perfectisthe

jno547 wrote: »
    Here's a preview of the findings from the programme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B79WvOBPxns

That was really interesting. Sounds like it's going to be a pretty positive piece.

• Advertisement

That was really interesting. Sounds like it's going to be a pretty positive piece.

Yeah it sounds good, a lot of common sense in it which is what's badly needed and not the knee jerk reactions from the un educated.
    Well worth watching I'd say.

There is some information on the programme on a uk website called. Planet of the Vapes, sorry don't know how to do a link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭jonski

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Set it to record there, because I know I'll forget later

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Looking forward to this.

AthAnRi wrote:
    Looking forward to this.

Worth watching, welcome by the way.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭Don Imac2

I cannot watch it tonight. Does anyone know when they repeat Horizon programmes during the week?

Got in on record, will watch now in a bit, just kicking the kids to bed

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭redkid

This is interesting!!

Some nice mods there too!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

Going well so far!

Now, I have peace, going to get watching it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Only caught the last 20mins of it but it was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭redkid

Fairly comprehensive test results there, was even surprised myself a little and Iv a bit of reading done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Interesting stuff in there, broadly along the lines of what I expected.

I think exposure is definitely an issue. Someone who sub ohms through 20ml+ of 3mg every day is far more likely to run into health problems down the road compared to the person who vapes 2 or 3ml of a much higher nic liquid.

Nicotine clearly isn't the biggest cause for concern. Inhaling large volumes of PG/VG with certain flavourings every day might well be.

Hopefully the programme inspires plenty of people to quit cigarettes.

It was pretty good, nothing really surprising at all, but it was mostly positive. Of course you'll still get the anti-brigade who'll focus on the very few negatives. Nothing new there either then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

There were a bit many special effects in it for me, but an interesting program at the same time.

The flavours concern, was that not already shown to be a questionable experiment in the first place because of the method of carrying out the experiment, a test or tester could deliberately or inadvertently "burn" the liquid and flavours in a trial, which users are unlikely in practice to do??

No mention of varying voltages etc?

There was one test which has been discredited but can't recall which it was.

That reminded me of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

I recorded it on BBC2 HD & it was only on for 10mins,it was advertised for over an hour.
    I found it on YT if anyone else missed it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hu3F_pz1Qg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

I recorded it on BBC2 HD & it was only on for 10mins,it was advertised for over an hour.
    I found it on YT if anyone else missed it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hu3F_pz1Qg

I now know why I missed the programme,the tv guide from the Irish Sun said that it started at 22.25 to 23.30,so the part I watched was the last 10 mins:D:D

• Advertisement

I recorded it on BBC2 HD, was fine. It started at 9:30

Advertisement