Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC Horizon special on vaping [22-5-2016]

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

The flavours concern, was that not already shown to be a questionable experiment in the first place because of the method of carrying out the experiment, a test or tester could deliberately or inadvertently "burn" the liquid and flavours in a trial, which users are unlikely in practice to do??

No mention of varying voltages etc?

There have been multiple studies that have invalidated their own findings this way, years ago. All properly skewered by Farsalinos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

That was excellent television, it showed the science behind the closing remarks and covered most of the issues. Yes the experiment they did with the 3 groups was junk as science but it was only done to show how these studies are done rather than to demonstrate effectiveness or harms, improvements.
    What will non smokers make of it though? I suspect the ban them brigade will find justification for banning and the supportive will find reasons to support but most won't have watched it and won't care one way or another.

None the less well done to the beeb for this, a bit late but at least it's now out their.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

grindle wrote: »
    There have been multiple studies that have invalidated their own findings this way, years ago. All properly skewered by Farsalinos.

That's it. I dont know if it was an editing thing or not but the scientist wast just filling a dry new ego clearomizer and hooking it up to a machine and studying the straight vapour from that with no none of the real life practices mention of pre soaking, voltages, temperatures.........

I was quite surprised that Farsalinos didnt get a mention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

That's it. I dont know if it was an editing thing or not but the scientist wast just filling a dry new ego clearomizer and hooking it up to a machine and studying the straight vapour from that with no none of the real life practices mention of pre soaking, voltages, temperatures.........

I was quite surprised that Farsalinos didnt get a mention.

I would imagine that it is more of a public service broadcast so nothing too specific the take home message is it's way better than smoking but not with out risks.

I was suprised by the menthol flavour causing more damage than the pina colada flavoured juice. It showed that if anything is going to sink vaping it is going to be the flavours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

The main issue is there are "unknowns" as vaping is a very recent thing. We will know in 10-20 years what the impact will be.

Regardless of what the ingredients are though, your lungs are only evolved to cope with air. The fact that many of these ingredients and flavours are "food-safe" is largely irrelevant for that reason.

It's safer than smoking as you don't have the burnt and incompletely burnt particles (unless the device is too hot) but inhaling anything deliberately, even just salty water vapour can have impacts you might not expect.

What I took from the documentary was while they're a good quitting aid, non smokers should remain non smokers/non vapers.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

12Phase wrote: »
    The main issue is there are "unknowns" as vaping is a very recent thing. We will know in 10-20 years what the impact will be.

Regardless of what the ingredients are though, your lungs are only evolved to cope with air. The fact that many of these ingredients and flavours are "food-safe" is largely irrelevant for that reason.

It's safer than smoking as you don't have the burnt and incompletely burnt particles (unless the device is too hot) but inhaling anything deliberately, even just salty water vapour can have impacts you might not expect.

What I took from the documentary was while they're a good quitting aid, non smokers should remain non smokers/non vapers.

Completely makes sense.

But how many vapers want to/could give up now?

Personally I don't and know I wouldn't find it easy, been going strong for 3 years having switched overnight.

But there's always that element of a time bomb ticking away in the background, tempered with the almost absolute knowledge that the alternative would be to have remained smoking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭8mm

I'm curious about the slight inflammatory responses that can happen in the lungs and whether this is a short term break in period for new vapers or an on-going effect.

Could that be a PG or VG intolerance that they have found? Or just an issue with menthol / minty flavours that irritate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

So many factors weren't touched on. Like the level of nic in the juices tested, what menthol was it? another menthol might run better on the same test. How much are we soaking up in our mouth before it even reaches the lungs? How long does vapour hang around your lungs? seems to me it's in and right back out again. I don't buy quick tets like that without a tonne of info. The most surprising part of the whole docu' was the guy from Big tobacco actually hailing vaping. His tests showed it's about as harmful as ... air

• Registered Users Posts: 24 sarahm1994

For anyone interested in e-cigarette research, there will be a free public lecture taking place in University College Cork on Thursday the 26th May at 7pm. The lecture is entitled 'Tobacco and E-Cigarettes: the good, the bad and the ugly’ and will be given by Professor Kenneth Ward a Professor in the School of Public Health at the University of Memphis. Some info below:

Despite considerable progress, tobacco continues to kill more than 5 million people around the world each year. Dr. Ward will provide a brief overview of the history, causes, and consequences of tobacco use, and then discuss what we know about the latest strains in the global tobacco epidemic, and whether e-cigarettes are help or hype.

Professor Ward is the Director of the Division of Social and Behavioural Sciences and his research looks at approaches to reducing the burden of tobacco use and other addictive behaviors. Professor Ward is also a current Fulbright Scholar at the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, where he is collaborating on research on smoking cessation in patients with chronic medical conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭jonski

Any idea on how Professor Kenneth Ward is leaning as regards vaping ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,461 ✭✭✭✭Esel

sarahm1994 wrote: »
    For anyone interested in e-cigarette research, there will be a free public lecture taking place in University College Cork on Thursday the 26th May at 7pm. The lecture is entitled 'Tobacco and E-Cigarettes: the good, the bad and the ugly’ and will be given by Professor Kenneth Ward a Professor in the School of Public Health at the University of Memphis. Some info below:

Despite considerable progress, tobacco continues to kill more than 5 million people around the world each year. Dr. Ward will provide a brief overview of the history, causes, and consequences of tobacco use, and then discuss what we know about the latest strains in the global tobacco epidemic, and whether e-cigarettes are help or hype.

Professor Ward is the Director of the Division of Social and Behavioural Sciences and his research looks at approaches to reducing the burden of tobacco use and other addictive behaviors. Professor Ward is also a current Fulbright Scholar at the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, where he is collaborating on research on smoking cessation in patients with chronic medical conditions.

Four posts on this lecture in the last five hours. Last post before that four years ago. Not slagging, just saying.

What percentage of the lecture will be given to the E-cig phenomenon? Will it just be a postscript?

I won't be there, but maybe some local vapers will; and will report back. If not, could you post a summary or a link to same, please.

Not your ornery onager

jonski wrote: »
    Any idea on how Professor Kenneth Ward is leaning as regards vaping ?

A look at the list of sponsors and grant receipts tell you which side of the fence he sits on.
    http://phm2016.ucc.ie/phm-public-lecture/

It would be super if a bunch of vapers could turn up and ask some pertinent questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 persivald

Hi my fellow vapers!
    anyone knows where or when: A Billion Lives (Documentary) will be available here in Ireland?

persivald wrote: »
    Hi my fellow vapers!
    anyone knows where or when: A Billion Lives (Documentary) will be available here in Ireland?

I don't think it will get a screening in cinemas here. They did shoot some footage here though, I expect Netflix or one of the streaming channels will be the distribution method. Theirs some talk of putting it on YouTube but I expect they will want to get their investment back before that happens.
    It would have been nice to have it for this years vapefest but that option is gone now, shame as a readymade audience like that will be hard to gather any other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

tommy2bad wrote: »
    I don't think it will get a screening in cinemas here. They did shoot some footage here though, I expect Netflix or one of the streaming channels will be the distribution method. Theirs some talk of putting it on YouTube but I expect they will want to get their investment back before that happens.
    It would have been nice to have it for this years vapefest but that option is gone now, shame as a readymade audience like that will be hard to gather any other way.

Never heard of this documentary, what is it saying please?

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Never heard of this documentary, what is it saying please?

https://youtu.be/zSq9iqal2cA

tommy2bad wrote: »

Sounds very interesting indeed, I would love to see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Dramatik

You can watch it here:

no sorry i saw that one its the One Billion Lives I meant.

Advertisement