Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on fast growing vine needed (Alternative to Ivy)

Options
  • 15-05-2016 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We have an ugly concrete shed wall in the garden which we would like to cover with the intention of selling the house next year. I'd like to plant something that will grow quickly (cover 10' X 15' by next year) and that would be decorative for photos and viewing. We want to avoid ivy as we've heard it can be damaging to walls.

Could anyone recommend a climber or vine that would do this for us?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Personally if you are selling, as I buyer I would prefer to see just a clean painted wall rather than a climber.
    But then we had a clematis on either side of our front door when we moved it and that got ripped out and relocated.
    Don't assume your buyer likes plants climbing on buildings. To me that I think climbers can be destructive to the building, harbour insects and provide a highway for mice (more relevant for a house than a shed).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

engrish? wrote: »
    Hi,

We have an ugly concrete shed wall in the garden which we would like to cover with the intention of selling the house next year. I'd like to plant something that will grow quickly (cover 10' X 15' by next year) and that would be decorative for photos and viewing. We want to avoid ivy as we've heard it can be damaging to walls.

Could anyone recommend a climber or vine that would do this for us?

Thanks!

Ivy only damages weak walls. Clematis are nice and should do the job.
    Even if you just paint it cream it would improve it and then maybe fix a trellis to it or use wall planters

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_1_2_hso_sc_smartcategory_1?rh=n%3A4224875031%2Ck%3Awall+planter&keywords=wall+planter&ie=UTF8&qid=1463476751&sr=8-2-acs

Advertisement