Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

continuous assessment and examinations

• 15-05-2016 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi,

I am currently a first yr student in LIT, finished my exams. I would like to know how continuous assessment and examinations work there is not much info on the LIT website.

I just have one question example on a module there is 40% continuous assessment and and 60% Summer examination.

What I want to know is if I get 29% in CA does that mean I only need 11% in the exam to pass the module.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Black_Ninja

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭AppleKidd

Yes

Thanks I just have that one module which i am worried about. I am looking for more then the 11% I am just asking in case sh!t hits the fan. That is all, were did you find the info on CA and exams cause the website is not helpful.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,893 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

AppleKidd wrote: »
    Thanks I just have that one module which i am worried about. I am looking for more then the 11% I am just asking in case sh!t hits the fan. That is all, were did you find the info on CA and exams cause the website is not helpful.

Thanks.

It's the case with many modules in colleges everywhere.

Technically you need 20% (20/100) in the exam - That would be worth 12% overall and would bring you to just over 40% overall. The exam will be marked out of 100 one would presume.

I can't understand how ye didn't know going into the exam what the story was though. Did no lecturers/course leader go through the process with ye at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭dmc17

Did you get 29% in the CA or 29/40?

If you got 29% then you would have failed the CA giving you a total of 11.6% overall. This would mean you need to make up the remaining 29% in the summer exam. Since it is marked out of 60 you would need roughly half that which would mean you'd need to be getting 50% in your summer exam.

If you got 29/40 then you would need 11% of the remaining 60% to get to 40% overall. This would mean you'd only need 19% in your summer exam to pass overall.

But, be careful going forward as, for some modules it can be mandatory to pass either the CA or final exam element i.e you can't fail the CA and make up the difference in the final exam

callaway92 wrote: »
    It's the case with many modules in colleges everywhere.

Technically you need 20% (20/100) in the exam - That would be worth 12% overall and would bring you to just over 40% overall. The exam will be marked out of 100 one would presume.

I can't understand how ye didn't know going into the exam what the story was though. Did no lecturers/course leader go through the process with ye at all?

They weren't really forward with information, and with the CA it was so hard to get the results off them.

• Advertisement

dmc17 wrote: »
    Did you get 29% in the CA or 29/40?

If you got 29% then you would have failed the CA giving you a total of 11.6% overall. This would mean you need to make up the remaining 29% in the summer exam. Since it is marked out of 60 you would need roughly half that which would mean you'd need to be getting 50% in your summer exam.

If you got 29/40 then you would need 11% of the remaining 60% to get to 40% overall. This would mean you'd only need 19% in your summer exam to pass overall.

But, be careful going forward as, for some modules it can be mandatory to pass either the CA or final exam element i.e you can't fail the CA and make up the difference in the final exam

I got 29% out of 40%. Does that mean I just need the 11%, or do I need to get overall 40% in the summer exam. to pass the module.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭dmc17

AppleKidd wrote: »
    I got 29% out of 40%. Does that mean I just need the 11%, or do I need to get overall 40% in the summer exam. to pass the module.

If you got 29 of the available 40 then you would just need the extra 11% to get a 40% overall. The summer exam will then be worth 60% of the overall. So to get 11% from this you need just over 1/6 of the marks i.e 19% of the summer paper.

However, if you got 29 out of 40 in your CA, then this averages close to 75% so you should be aiming higher than simply just scraping a pass overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Lyrical

Sorry to go against what has already been said.But you need a minimum of 25 out of 100 in the written exam to pass irrespective of your CA.One module I have is split 50% CA and 50% for the written exam.If you get over 40% in the CA you are still required to get a minimum of 25/100 in the written exam to pass the subject (I presume this is to prevent students from skipping the written exams entirely).

If you got good marks on the other exams and for example got 36% overall on the subject you are worried about, you probably will be compensated and brought up to a pass. I'm unsure if the 25% minimum grade applies to all subjects across the board, but I wouldn't worry about it I sometimes finished exams thinking the worst and did ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭frankz

Lyrical wrote: »
    Sorry to go against what has already been said.But you need a minimum of 25 out of 100 in the written exam to pass irrespective of your CA.One module I have is split 50% CA and 50% for the written exam..

What was already said was more accurate on a general level.

What you are saying usually applies only in areas like science/chefs with a lot of lab/kitchen work for CA.

In areas like humanities and business there is no requirement to pass both the the CA and exam separately.
    This is the general rule - areas like science are an exception.

So in going against what was already said you were correct - but only for your particular area of study rather than as a general rule. So right to be sorry :-) :-)

So OP it depends on what area you are studying in
    Lyrical wrote: »

If you got good marks on the other exams and for example got 36% overall on the subject you are worried about, you probably will be compensated and brought up to a pass.

It is more transparent than that. There is no probably.
    If you get 35% or more in two subjects and pass the other four then you will be passed by compensation rather than brought up to a pass.

Advertisement