Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cat with abscess from bite

• 15-05-2016 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I have a very poorly cat and just wondered if anyone had any comforting words or tips I could be doing till now and the morning (next trip to vet).

She was attacked last weekend we think by another cat. We didnt notice there was anything wrong for a bit as she was acting as normal (eating, drinking, using litter) but that a back leg seemed ot be giving her some jip and then i noticed some scratches when i examined her properly. Anyway we got her to vet and they found a nasty bite that had got an abscess in it and they kept her in.

Xrays were all clear but they drained that abscess and cleaned her up and she was ready to come home Thursday. Since then it'e been tough!

She has a tube in her back which is draining the abscess and in the last 24 hours I think it is clogged and there is quite a bit of dried gunk around it where they shaved her. She will not let me near it. The vet said to leave it and if i wanted to i could dab with hot water and cotton wool, which i have but it is kinda beyond that now, over saturday night there seems to be too much leakage that i could even begin to try and clean. She desperately wants to clean it too, it is killing her!

She is sleeping a LOT and very down. But I think that may also be to do with the fact she spent a whole day and half fighting with the collar and pretty much awake non stop. I'm hoping that is a factor!

I have got the antibiotics and pain killers into her ok. Today has been the only struggle as she is eating much less so i reckon ive only got half of the antibiotic in today but I will keep trying every few hours to get her to eat more.

She likes to stay around us and at night she curls up in my arms or chest which is rather awkward with the tube but she insists on the hugs!

A pet and rub still get a purr all right but to watch her its like she has just given up. She looks so sad and has so little energy.

We are in the vet first thing again in the morning but if there was anything you think i could do in mean time let me know! My heart is broken :(

Thanks x

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭taytobreath

if it were me i wouldn't be waiting till the morning for a vet.
    You said it yourself..... "but to watch her its like she has just given up", only you and a vet can make the right judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

Unfortunately no vet available on sunday nights around where I am. As far as I am aware there is only UCD outside of hours and I live in Wicklow, I would have had no way of getting her there. I was just so grateful for the appointment already booked.

She actually perked up a bit last night and ate more so all that antibiotic got in to her. She also was a little back to herself, giving out and giving sass. I got up with her again during the night around 3am and she ate more for me and used her litter. She also sat at the window sill checking out the outside world.

She slept with me after that and was up again with me this morning at 7am giving out and hungry again and trying to get the collar off. All of which is good. I'm just very worried about that bloody tube in her and the leakage.

Anyway not long now to find out what is next. My partner is taking her so waiting on a phone call :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭morgana

Fingers crossed for your cat. Mine had cat bite abscess twice and the antibiotics fixed him right up. Poor thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

Cats are tough. You have to remember as well that the drugs may have given the impression that she had "given up". More than likely she was drowsy. Good luck today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Poor Puss, hope she is feeling better soon.

• Advertisement

Thanks so much folks!
    Getting live updates from my boyfriend here in work! (which is bold I know but I cannot think of ANYTHING else).

They have said she is fighting hard and definitely not given up (as you said eezipc, that could be the medication). They are keeping the tube in and prescribing more antibiotics. Wound is fully cleaned too and another check up in a 2-3 days.

Lots more minding of my poor little cat!

She looks grand. If she is anything like my four cats, she is probably exaggerating and looking for more attention and of course more treats... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

CaoimheSquee, that's really good news! Please keep us updated, I was on tenterhooks waiting. If it's any help my own cat got into rat poison (in the house!) about seven years ago. On a drip for three days, and going into the vet we thought he almost definitely wasn't coming home again. He's purring on my lap right now.

Eezipc- I would have said you were mad until my dog was spayed. Poor thing, crying and whimpering and getting frustrated. So of course she got cuddles and pets. Her recovery was oddly slow, her activity came back up again etc. but she was still crying. Once she started crying to be chased around the house with a tennis ball I copped as to what was happening!

You would not believe how sweet she is being. She has my nerves shot and me up half the night consoling her and sitting with her but it's all worth it. She has been there for many a panic attack and tears, and when my partners friend died last year she made it her business to sooth him during the particularly hard times. It is the least I can do!

She has been giving so much love and affection and the last few nights. She has slept on my head, my chest or in my arms resting her whole body against me. She has had her face on mine too which is rather awkward with the cone!

Partner says she has eaten even more on getting home and that she had a pretty tough time getting the wound cleaned so reckons she will sleep again for most of the day. Feeling rather proud of my little fighter :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭morgana

Great news! I found as well that cats re great fighters - when our timid little (in mind but not body :P) male got very sick a few years ago, the vet reckoned he was a gonner. He was on a drip for almost a week, and was sent home cause they couldn't do any more for him. As soon as he got home, he went straight to the food bowl and went on improving steadily, asking for cuddles and getting more alert every day!
    He (and the rest of the gang, his illness was a blessing in disguise cause now all cats get way better food than before) was put on a grain-free diet and is now the picture of health and happy out!
    So never give up, cats will surprise you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭taytobreath

You would not believe how sweet she is being. She has my nerves shot and me up half the night consoling her and sitting with her but it's all worth it. She has been there for many a panic attack and tears, and when my partners friend died last year she made it her business to sooth him during the particularly hard times. It is the least I can do!

She has been giving so much love and affection and the last few nights. She has slept on my head, my chest or in my arms resting her whole body against me. She has had her face on mine too which is rather awkward with the cone!

Partner says she has eaten even more on getting home and that she had a pretty tough time getting the wound cleaned so reckons she will sleep again for most of the day. Feeling rather proud of my little fighter :)

Wonderful news, aren't they worth it lol

My goodness they so are!

I am having one of those periods where life decides to throw ALL bad things at you at once and even though she is poorly she STILL comforts me, she just needs loads more back herself at the moment. Which is fine!

Wound is still draining and she is on 2 antibiotics a day now but she is taking them without any fuss. It just means i have to get up earlier to get it into her and let her clean her paws and ears while the collar is off. Also she wakes me so much at night to pet and reassure her but again, its the least I can do.

People think I am mad in work having to take time off and all the lack of sleep and money paid out to vets but honestly I do it gladly and double so if I needed to. I fear I may need her than she needs me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

People think I am mad in work having to take time off and all the lack of sleep and money paid out to vets but honestly I do it gladly and double so if I needed to. I fear I may need her than she needs me!

Id do it all too - youre not mad, youre just nice.

Id do it all too - youre not mad, youre just nice.
    Not mad at all. Just a decent person who clearly loves animals. What's mad about that? If that's the case, call me craycray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

You look after the living creature that depends completely on you.

I have really realised how much she depends on me.
    She has looked to me every moment that she has needed to be comforted and scared. I honestly thought she was so much more indifferent to me. In reality that is so wrong!

2 years ago she ran away when we moved home and after almost 2 weeks I had given up hope.
    One evening I went up to my bedroom quite upset and resigned to never hearing that relentless chatter and meow and sassy cat. Next thing I hear it through the window. I think I am going mad but run down the stairs, open the door and there she is absolutely yelling at me!
    I'll never know where she went but I think she got hurt and then just managed to get herself back to me when she was well enough to do so. Since then she has never gone far but where we live now she is SO happy and loves ot be outside exploring as much as possible. She was only coming in to sleep really these days so I figured she needed me less and less. Anyway, my heart and soul is very warmed right now!

Back on topic.....the tube came out today!

Cone is gone too (but still kept just in case) and antibiotics finish on Saturday.

She is pooing again (albeit not the healthiest but i am sure the meds have upset her tummy anyway) and drinking water and chatting away to everyone who will listen.

The best cat!

I can imagine the thought process in her head when you opened the door.
    "WTF? I went out hunting for food for you and when I came back you were gone. You owe me big time."

Advertisement