Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current best value site for parts delivered to Ireland?

Options
  • 15-05-2016 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi guys,
    is there any particular sites that are considered the the bast value for delivery of computer parts in Ireland?

I've put together a parts list for a build, but due to lack of experience (I used to be more plugged into all this!) I'm not sure where the bast value for parts delivered to ireland can be found, either within or outside of Ireland.

Any recommendations from the megamind of this forum?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

mindfactory.de

Or computeruniverse.net

Wanna post the parts list for us to review?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Amazon can also be good

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I've found Mindfactory to be generally the best, excluding cases. They'll charge you a second flat-rate fee (€29.99) if you order one, because it's so big. For components though their prices are best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

For large items Monitors/Cases [definitely Monitors really due to the risk of dead pixels] I'd recommend either Amazon or OCUK.
    Amazon in particular are a pleasure to deal with for returns.
    £ vs € isn't as bad as it used to be as well due to the BREXIT and delivery is normally either free or very reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Shop around. Over £100 difference in price between Scan and OCUK on a monitor I'm looking at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 TheSluiceGate

Edit - deleted duplicate post.

mindfactory.de

Or computeruniverse.net

Wanna post the parts list for us to review?

I'd actually had a look at the mindfactory site last night. There isn't an english language version of this site is there? I'd used google's translate option but it wasn't perfect. Do the prices there include VAT?

I'd started to do a comparisson to an irish based supplier, which is where I'd originally put my parts list together from (I can't post URLs as a new user)

I already have Monitor/Mouse/Keyboard/Sata Drive so:

Motherboard: [ASUS 1151 Z170-P D3] - €114.81

Processor: [INTEL CORE I5 6400 1151 RETAIL] €229.72

RAM: [CORSAIR 16GB DDR4 2400 VEN LPX BLK] - €81.61

Graphics: [PALIT 4GB GEF GTX 960 JETSTREAM GDDR5] - €250.50

Power Supply: [AeroCool 500 WATT 80+ Bronze Certified] €44.80

Case: [CIT Venom Gaming Case] - €29.99

Case Fan: [GameMax WindForce 120mm Case Cooling Fan] - €4.99

Since putting this list together I've been advised to a) get a Gold rated power supply and b) that the motherboard / processor I've chosen, one is overclockable and the other isn't so I need to change one part or the other.

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    For large items Monitors/Cases [definitely Monitors really due to the risk of dead pixels] I'd recommend either Amazon or OCUK.
    Amazon in particular are a pleasure to deal with for returns.
    £ vs € isn't as bad as it used to be as well due to the BREXIT and delivery is normally either free or very reasonable.

Thanks for this, I'd kind of disregarded the UK as I'd heard the exchange rate made it a bad choice. I'll have another look.

Serephucus wrote: »
    I've found Mindfactory to be generally the best, excluding cases. They'll charge you a second flat-rate fee (€29.99) if you order one, because it's so big. For components though their prices are best.

Thanks, I was actually looking at Mindfactory the other night, but I found it hard to use because of the language barrier though, despite google translate. Is there an english language version of this site?

No English version no.

It includes VAT yeah.

Your build is sound, from mindfactory you'd be able to afford a 390 I'd say. If not, get a 4gb R9 380.

Some Z170 motherboards can overclock the 6400, have a look into them cos I don't know any off my head

• Advertisement

Also, you've nothing for storage, and 8gb RAM is probably enough.

Definitely get an SSD

I generally shop around on Newegg or something, just because they've got great filtering options for stuff, and you get a rough idea of comparative price.

When I have things narrowed down to a couple of products (or single product) for each thing, then I'll go price shopping on other sites. As such, I don't really use much of the site outside of the search box. :P

Edit: I missed that. Yeah as DS said, if you don't have one, definitely get an SSD. I'd get an SSD over an extra 8GB of RAM any day of the week.

No English version no.

It includes VAT yeah.

Your build is sound, from mindfactory you'd be able to afford a 390 I'd say. If not, get a 4gb R9 380.

Some Z170 motherboards can overclock the 6400, have a look into them cos I don't know any off my head

Thanks for your reply.

So maybe yeah, I'll finalise my build and then muddle through with mindfactory.

Also, you've nothing for storage, and 8gb RAM is probably enough.

Definitely get an SSD

Thanks.

Yeah I actually had gone back to edit my post of the spec. I already have a Monitor, Mouse, keyboard, and several 1TB Sata drives. I also have a Windows 7 disc and key.

Can you explain briefly why 8GB of RAM would be enough? Would there not be a net benefit to going for 16 overall?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Thanks.

Yeah I actually had gone back to edit my post of the spec. I already have a Monitor, Mouse, keyboard, and several 1TB Sata drives. I also have a Windows 7 disc and key.

Can you explain briefly why 8GB of RAM would be enough? Would there not be a net benefit to going for 16 overall?

Depends what you are using it for? Some of the stuff I do eats ram due to huge files, the majority of the time I'm tipping along with only 4GBs or so in use. If I didn't need it for these rare tasks I wouldn't notice any difference

8gb RAM is enough for 99% of games, very few will preform better with more.

An SSD will make everything faster, boot times, loads etc.

16gb will have its day but its not yet, I'd take 4gb RAM with an SSD over 16gb without to be honest.

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Thanks.

Depends what you are using it for? Some of the stuff I do eats ram due to huge files, the majority of the time I'm tipping along with only 4GBs or so in use. If I didn't need it for these rare tasks I wouldn't notice any difference

Thanks, I'll be using it for gaming mainly. Some audio production, but I actually have another older machine that does just fine with that. So this one, more so the gaming.

8gb RAM is enough for 99% of games, very few will preform better with more.

An SSD will make everything faster, boot times, loads etc.

16gb will have its day but its not yet, I'd take 4gb RAM with an SSD over 16gb without to be honest.

Thanks! I'll definitely look at dropping the RAM to 8GB (which I had raised to 16GB mainly at an impulse!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Thanks, I'll be using it for gaming mainly. Some audio production, but I actually have another older machine that does just fine with that. So this one, more so the gaming.

Yeah, don't think there are many, if any games using more than 8 GB. If you have 4 ram slots in total, you can always add more later, and for yiur uses, by the time you will need to consider more than 16 GB for gaming, you will likely need a whole new build!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

The motherboard you posted also supports M.2 ssd you may look into getting one of these instead of a normal ssd small bit more expensive but it dont take up any space in your case and is twice as fast as normal ssd in most models.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

RAM is only important with audio production if you use many sample libraries. If Kontakt, Omnisphere or Battery get much use at multiple times in a project, RAM is important. If you mostly use soft synths and effects then the CPU is key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Is there an English version of the mindfactory website or am I missing something?

Is there an English version of the mindfactory website or am I missing something?

No English version. If you use Google Chrome it translate the page for you.

There isn't, as far as I can tell. If you're using Chrome though it should auto-translate the page for you.

Edit: Damn that was fast jayo. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

I'm about to order lots of parts and for most of them Mindfactory is cheaper than OCUK.

OCUK strips out the UK 20% Vat rate and recalculates prices with the Irish 23% as expected when you select Irish delivery in a drop down. For comparison purposes I just needed to convert to Euro.

For Amazon.co.uk and .de I use a website Vat calc to strip out the UK 20% and german 19% Vat rate and recalculate with Irish 23%

I know that OCUK and all the Amazons do enough trade with Irish customers to trigger the EU VAT legislation Purchaser Local Vat rate rather than the Vendor local Vat rate thingy.

The question is, does Mindfactory sell enough into Ireland to have triggered this also. Can anyone confirm whether they've been charged 19% German Vat or 23% Irish Vat on their Mindfactory orders. Even if you've never seen it mentioned, have you always wondered why the prices on your Mindfactory invoices where higher than the website prices? That would be an indication they are indeed having to add Irish Vat instead of German.

For the purposes of my comparison table I stripped out the 19% German Vat on my Mindfactory order and added Irish 23%. Its still the cheapest by a couple of hundred. However, it'd be even cheaper if it turns out that Mindfactory don't sell enough into Ireland yet to trigger the Local Vat rate thingy.

Hopefully someone can confirm either way soon. I'd like to have a definitive final Mindfactory savings figure to take to OCUK on the phone today and tell them they need to give me at least that much of a discount to get the whole order or I'll split it up and purchase each part where its cheapest. Worth a try!! I'd prefer to order it all from OCUK and if they were only a little more expensive it'd be worth my peace of mind when it came to CS, language barriers and RMA's etc to pay the extra. Not when the price difference could potentially be up to €250 though.

TLDR. Mindfactory website prices include German 19% VAT. Are they selling enough into Ireland to have triggered the Local Vat rate EU VAT directive though. Are they charging us 23% Irish Vat at the checkout?

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thegame983

Does anyone know delivery time from mindfactory? I might be getting some stuff delivered in a few weeks and I'd like to time it for after I come back from abroad and before I go back to work

thegame983 wrote: »
    Does anyone know delivery time from mindfactory? I might be getting some stuff delivered in a few weeks and I'd like to time it for after I come back from abroad and before I go back to work

I ordered on a monday and recieved them on thursday morning so id say 4 to 5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭thegreenbean

superg wrote: »
    Shop around. Over £100 difference in price between Scan and OCUK on a monitor I'm looking at.

I'd have to agree, OCUK have a good returns policy and will reply to you within hours if you have a problem. Amazon the same. Caseking.de are another good option. For watercooling i always use aquatuning.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thegame983

jayo26 wrote: »
    I ordered on a monday and recieved them on thursday morning so id say 4 to 5 days.

Cheers dude. Do they have a flat rate delivery fee? I used hardwareversand a few years ago and it was 30 quid. I presume i's something similar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Ahem! So does anyone know if Mindfactory charge German Vat at 19% or Irish Vat at 23% at the checkout?

Advertisement