Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seriously thinking of a bike camera to protect myself

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The Indo sensationalising something? Never!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Interested to see the responses - from a car dependent nation like ours, no surprise. Other than 'road tax', lack of helmets, hi vis and making cyclists take a test / carry insurance, very few acknowledged the actions of the errant motorists or call for improved infrastructure or the restriction of the private car into Dublin. A typical day, really..

Ah I don't bother reading the comments, as you say, same oul rubbish spewed out like a broken record...

In general it's written like an article you'd write over your lunch break having just stood around the street with your iphone videoing people on bikes that morning...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I've been running camera(s) for a good number of years now. I rarely have any cause to use the footage 99% gets deleted. I've truly only had a couple of instances where the footage was of value, one of which happened before Christmas when a taxi did a U-turn across my path which saw me go flying. But in truth, although I was glad to have it at the time, the footage was never used for anything beyond showing friends.

But I do like to having them just in case. It's mostly for peace of mind, and I pop up footage of nice cycles onto youtube to look back on in years to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mp31

Mobius or Runcam HD - smaller form factor than the GoPro if that's important to you and they can be mounted on your helmet in a relatively inconspicuous manner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

mp31 wrote: »
    Mobius or Runcam HD - smaller form factor than the GoPro if that's important to you and they can be mounted on your helmet in a relatively inconspicuous manner

I'll second the Mobius cam.

It is the Camera that I would swear by and use it for all my commutes and in busy areas.

Great little yoke and ideal for what you want. The image quality for reg plates etc is superb, and one of the best I have used. For the record, I have tested a LOT of cams. The user interface is the best I have come across too. Even updates the time/date automatically when you are using it.

You can super glue velcro to the bottom of the attaching plate and some on your helmet, and you are good to go. The latest ones have a 2 hour + battery life too. If that isn't long enough for you, just get a second one. It is that good.

OP,

I had you in mind this morning, so here is a small clip of the Mobius cam in action. Make sure to set fbitube to 1080p

Lots of details in the signs etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Utdfan20titles

Masala wrote: »
    Even the fact that I go to Guards and file a complaint ... Something will have to be done. Even if it's a call around to the driver house for a few words ... It might save someone life down the line and give the driver a good lesson. I would expect that a complaint will be auctioned....

How much would a complaint normally go for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Chiparus

New fly 12 looks interesting, if a bit pricey. but it combines a light and it is designed for cyclists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Where did I "dismiss assault"? I simply expressed the view that if it's the passenger spitting, the likelihood that reporting it to the gardai will have any meaningful effect to the extent of saving a life, is fairly remote. It's got nothing to do with dismissing or excusing the toerags that did it, simply recognising the practical reality of the situation.

If it was me and I had the reg I'm sure I'd report it too, but just wouldn't have my hopes up about any meaningful satisfaction resulting.

Best thing to do is ask the guards to get the drivers insurance details and if you were traumatized by the event put in a PIAB claim.

There are several diseases transmitted in saliva and we would give an anti Hep B immunoglobulin injection if someone was at risk of inoculation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Chiparus wrote: »
    New fly 12 looks interesting, if a bit pricey. but it combines a light and it is designed for cyclists.

Looks really good, what is the price tag?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Masala

mp31 wrote: »

Many thanks... Would u have a link for me on one???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Chiparus

CramCycle wrote: »
    Looks really good, what is the price tag?

349, that is from the manufacturers , but it does have a long battery life ,and going be the fly 6 it should be excellent quality.

Joovuu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mp31

I bought mine from an Ebay seller a while ago and last year bought an extended battery and weatherproof cover from here https://www.mobius-actioncam.com/

I haven't seen anyone else sell a lightweight low profile cover but you could also go for a larger hard plastic thing sold at Joovuu etc. if you prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I might think about the Fly6 for the rear. I use a GoPro 4 Silver on the helmet. I'd recommend anyone who commutes daily (and doesn't mind another gadget to charge) to get a camera. I commute 45km and have seen it all. It certainly helps to have video evidence if you ever wish to report it to someone. It also helps to so you'll know your location, date, car reg etc. as you may not remember from shock of an incident and they're usually long gone if you miss them at a set of lights.

A camera won't protect you but it's your leg to stand on if you need it. All you can do is be the 1% of cyclists who actually follow the rules of the road and ride safely. You can't trust anyone to drive safe either, I nearly kissed the front of a bus the other week as I was going around 40kph. Professional driver my ass.

• Advertisement
Advertisement