Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pregnant stray cat giving birth right now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Amazing , faith in humanity restored , well done OP on looking after that stray and her kittens :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

This is my favourite thread ever.
    Deals have whiskas kitten dry food in at the moment for 1.50 a pop if that's any use to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

Cordell wrote:
    Well...same think happen in my garden last night, stray cat gave birth to 5 kittens. I cannot have them in my garden as I have a dog that will not get along with them as they drive him mad, so for the moment the dog is not going into the garden anymore, but this cannot go on. What can I do? I live in Limerick, is there any animal welfare that can take them?

I called the Offaly SPCA so maybe do that if there is one in Limerick? They were really helpful and they should be able to tell you what to do.

jenn1984 wrote:
    Realistically we are going through 10 boxes of cat food a week as mammy cats get SUPER hungry plus our own cat also loves his food! As soon as we realized mammy no.2 was in labour, we had to go into town and get a cat bed for her too. Very expensive business!

Oh my God!!! That's crazy. Are they all indoor cats? My cats usually aren't very hungry at all but they're outside on a farm yard during the day so they're probably hunting. The new mammy cat eats more than the others but not a huge amount.
    Amazing , faith in humanity restored , well done OP on looking after that stray and her kittens

:) thank you.
    Kablamo! wrote:
    This is my favourite thread ever. Deals have whiskas kitten dry food in at the moment for 1.50 a pop if that's any use to you.

I raid Dealz all of the time for these nuts. We got a huge bag of Go Cat but the snobby little monkeys started refusing it! Thank God for Dealz and their cheap Whiskas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭jenn1984

KatW4 wrote: »
    Oh my God!!! That's crazy. Are they all indoor cats? My cats usually aren't very hungry at all but they're outside on a farm yard during the day so they're probably hunting. The new mammy cat eats more than the others but not a huge amount.

Well the 2 mammy cats are presumably outdoor cats as we've fed them for a while and it always seemed like they stuck close to our house. Mammy cat number 1 is insisting on about 6 pouches a day and will meow in your face until you give in to her - her kittens are bruisers so she needs the calories. Mammy cat number 2 seems to be eating like normal, but I've been at work since this morning so not sure how much she's been fed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

If I were you Id be giving a mix of wet and dry food.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

They probably have worms too, which would explain the insatiable hunger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Are you feeding the mommies adult or kitten food? The kitten food is higher in fat/protein etc so they may be less hungry with it!

Yea I'm thinking we'll have to get some of the kitten dry food from LIDL that one of you guys recommended and mix it in with the wet food - should spread it out a bit. Have tried mammy cat on the wet kitten food but she leaves about half of it behind her or just licks the jelly of it. Guessing it wouldn't be wise to give mammy cat a worming tablet when she still has the kittens to feed?

Id check with the vets about the worm tablet. Don't want the kittens getting worms from mammy either.

• Advertisement

The kittens are 2 weeks old today. All of their eyes are open now and they're pulling themselves around on their tummies! They came up for a snuggle this morning so I took some pictures!

http://imgur.com/a/iAeZx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

The kittens are 2 weeks old today. All of their eyes are open now and they're pulling themselves around on their tummies! They came up for a snuggle this morning so I took some pictures!

http://imgur.com/a/iAeZx

The daddy was a tabby, I see :) What precious babies, and the slightly anxious look of the mummy, so sweet. :)

Speedwell wrote:
    The daddy was a tabby, I see What precious babies, and the slightly anxious look of the mummy, so sweet.

Yep he must have been! The mammy cat always looks like that but she's still purring non stop. They're so adorable and also very noisy. They meow very loudly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭morgana

Aww cuteness overload
    ðŸ±ðŸˆ

What a gorgeous little family of fluffsters!

Mammy is a very pretty lady.

New pictures of all of the 3 week old kittens :)

I love this thread!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

Oh my God!!!! They are adorable

trixychic wrote: »
    Oh my God!!!! They are adorable

That's turning out to be a problem! We've decided to hold on to one but we're having a hard time choosing which! Holding onto all of them isn't an option unfortunately :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Speak to your vet about Parazole wormer, its a liquid and can safely be given to young kittens, you'll need a syringe without needle, and a digital scale to check weight (dose goes by weight). parazole is easy on their tiny tums and can be given to mam too. read instructions carefully, its a 3 day dose, but great to kittens, I use it a lot when I get handed kittens. (I am not a rescue, people just hand them to me or we find them)

mymo wrote: »
    Speak to your vet about Parazole wormer, its a liquid and can safely be given to young kittens, you'll need a syringe without needle, and a digital scale to check weight (dose goes by weight). parazole is easy on their tiny tums and can be given to mam too. read instructions carefully, its a 3 day dose, but great to kittens, I use it a lot when I get handed kittens. (I am not a rescue, people just hand them to me or we find them)

Thanks for the advice! We are not a rescue either but cats just seem to find us!

Quick update. The kittens are 3 weeks and 1 day old today. They are all walking around and some of them are so quick!! They've started to play a little with each other and they've started to clean themselves now and then. They're impossible to get pictures of because they're so fast now but I'll try and get some later to upload!

The kittens had their first experience of being outside today. They meowed while I was carrying them out but as soon as they hit the fresh air, they were so silent and extremely curious! They had a great time :D

https://imgur.com/a/daDs5

Omg! They're so sturdy looking! But they still have gorgeous TTTs (tiny triangular tails).

So cute!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Wow! I wish I wasn't renting so I could take one! So so so cute! Again, well done for taking all this on yourself!

• Advertisement

Omg! They're so sturdy looking! But they still have gorgeous TTTs (tiny triangular tails).

They're getting their but they fall over all the time which is super cute ha! Their tails are adorable.
    TG1 wrote:
    Wow! I wish I wasn't renting so I could take one! So so so cute! Again, well done for taking all this on yourself!

Such a pity because they're such sweet little things! Thank you :) I'm delighted that we did because they make me ridiculously happy.

The kittens are a month old today, how time flies. They're really starting to grow up.

They're all walking now, some of them fly around so fast. They love exploring around the house but they squeal if they can't find their bed.

They all have little teeth and sharp enough claws. I have quite a few little scratches from them.

Most of them have started to play and fight. They're adorable when they start to bite each other and knock one another over. Cheeky babies.

The last few nights they haven't slept with their mammy. They've all gathered in a big pile and slept at the bottom of the scratching/climbing post. They all have a taste of their mammy's kitten food as well.

I've taken some pictures but they're a little hard to see because the kittens move around so much!

https://imgur.com/a/opamP

(Just as I was writing this post, one of them peed all over our bed :( )

(Just as I was writing this post, one of them peed all over our bed :( )

That kitten has decided you are its family and it is adding its scent to the family sleeping area. Not every kitten does this, and they do grow out of it eventually.

Speedwell wrote:
    That kitten has decided you are its family and it is adding its scent to the family sleeping area. Not every kitten does this, and they do grow out of it eventually.

Oh that's so lovely! I hope they grow out of it or I'll run out of bedclothes!

Oh that's so lovely! I hope they grow out of it or I'll run out of bedclothes!

I had a kitten who did it regularly while we were all in bed. This was in the US, where duvets typically have a sewn-on cover, and so you have to wash the whole thing. :eek: There were a few times I scolded the poor mite, "Next time it is you who is getting put in the washing machine", though I was just being silly, of course. I think she stopped doing it when she was about six or seven months old and felt secure enough in the house. The peeing got replaced by the usual "bed feet are my enemy" pouncing for a little while, haha. She's now 15 years old and snoozing next to my husband.

• Advertisement

Speedwell wrote:
    I had a kitten who did it regularly while we were all in bed. This was in the US, where duvets typically have a sewn-on cover, and so you have to wash the whole thing. There were a few times I scolded the poor mite, "Next time it is you who is getting put in the washing machine", though I was just being silly, of course. I think she stopped doing it when she was about six or seven months old and felt secure enough in the house. The peeing got replaced by the usual "bed feet are my enemy" pouncing for a little while, haha. She's now 15 years old and snoozing next to my husband.

Oh what a lovely story :) 15 years old is fab!

Here is a collage of our foster kittens - three just turned 6 weeks and three are almost four weeks old :)

jenn1984 wrote:
    Here is a collage of our foster kittens - three just turned 6 weeks and three are almost four weeks old

They're all adorable! All of ours turned 5 weeks old yesterday. Are yours eating proper food yet?

They're all adorable! All of ours turned 5 weeks old yesterday. Are yours eating proper food yet?

Two of the eldest are stealing a bit of mammy's food but we watch them cause 8 week olds are supposed to have 100g split over the day and they're only 6 weeks- they're all still feeding off mammy cat

jenn1984 wrote:
    Two of the eldest are stealing a bit of mammy's food but we watch them cause 8 week olds are supposed to have 100g split over the day and they're only 6 weeks- they're all still feeding off mammy cat

All of ours are stealing the mammy cats food and if they don't get away with that, they run over to the other 3 cats and try theirs too! Little monkeys. Hopefully they'll be okay!

So the kittens are 5 and a half weeks old! They're getting so big and super cheeky. They're all greedy little things, stealing their mammy's food and my other 3 cats' food. We've started to give them a tiny little bit and they love it.

They're so fast, they'd be out the front door before you're in it. They keep hiding on us so we have a bit of a panic every now and then looking for them.

I can't stand still for one second or they will climb up my legs! They are destroying my clothes.

They're gorgeous though and we can really see all their different little personalities coming out.

https://imgur.com/a/02Kkj

Omg! A little naughty trail of them up your leg! So cute!

So the kittens are 5 and a half weeks old! They're getting so big and super cheeky. They're all greedy little things, stealing their mammy's food and my other 3 cats' food. We've started to give them a tiny little bit and they love it.

They're so fast, they'd be out the front door before you're in it. They keep hiding on us so we have a bit of a panic every now and then looking for them.

I can't stand still for one second or they will climb up my legs! They are destroying my clothes.

They're gorgeous though and we can really see all their different little personalities coming out.

https://imgur.com/a/02Kkj

Same here. Word of advice- wear jeans! They don't mind crawling up bare legs!!

jenn1984 wrote:
    Same here. Word of advice- wear jeans! They don't mind crawling up bare legs!!

Ouch!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I saw them in person yesterday. They are the cutest things :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Wanderer41

I love this thread! They are just so cute! I found my kitten when she was around 4 weeks old after being abandoned. She used to love climbing up my legs.. still loves to attack my feet though! She still bites and scratches a bit, and doesn't let you pet her much (well she will only let me pet her a little and pick her up.. no one else) but she has come on so much. Well done for rescuing them, I hate to think of what would have happened to my own kitten if I hadn't found her!

LizT wrote:
    I saw them in person yesterday. They are the cutest things

They miss you already!
    Wanderer41 wrote:
    I love this thread! They are just so cute! I found my kitten when she was around 4 weeks old after being abandoned. She used to love climbing up my legs.. still loves to attack my feet though! She still bites and scratches a bit, and doesn't let you pet her much (well she will only let me pet her a little and pick her up.. no one else) but she has come on so much. Well done for rescuing them, I hate to think of what would have happened to my own kitten if I hadn't found her!

Oh the poor thing! Well done on taking the little thing in. It's heartbreaking to think someone could abandon something so small. :( She sounds absolutely adorable!!!

The first of the kittens left today! I was pretty sad to see her go but I get attached very easily. I hope she'll be okay and that the mammy cat will be too.

I can't believe they're 2 days shy of 9 weeks old already!! They're all so big and playful now. They've destroyed my house though. They pull everything apart, they've pulled the curtain rail down and they climb on everything. My arms are cut to bits from their little claws. They're still super adorable though!

The first of the kittens left today! I was pretty sad to see her go but I get attached very easily. I hope she'll be okay and that the mammy cat will be too.

I can't believe they're 2 days shy of 9 weeks old already!! They're all so big and playful now. They've destroyed my house though. They pull everything apart, they've pulled the curtain rail down and they climb on everything. My arms are cut to bits from their little claws. They're still super adorable though!

Any chance of updated photos???

trixychic wrote: »
    Any chance of updated photos???

Of course! Here you go :)

https://imgur.com/a/24uqe

The little girl on the suitcase is the one that is gone to her new home. The rest are boys :)

Oh my God they are adorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Awh!!!! They are adorable!!!!

They are gorgeous!

Even though I'm sure the little girl who went to her new home will be scared initially, she will soon be commanding her slaves and enjoying her new status as Queen Fluffster.

They are so gorgeous! Naughty but cute :D

• Advertisement

Even though I'm sure the little girl who went to her new home will be scared initially, she will soon be commanding her slaves and enjoying her new status as Queen Fluffster.

I hope she'll be okay. I was so worried about her being scared and lonely but I got a picture of her and her new owner having a cuddle so fingers crossed that she will be fine :)

Advertisement