Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pregnant stray cat giving birth right now

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Aw, what a fab thread. Gorgeous kitty's all over the place. Nice way to start a Monday morning :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭jenn1984

We've decided to keep three of our six foster kittens. Finding homes seems to be surprisingly hard as we still have nothing sorted for the others. ANOTHER stray cat that we helped months ago with a collar injury decided to give birth to four kittens on our doorstep on Friday morning! Unfortunately we can't take in anymore but luckily we have a home for mum/kittens arranged with swapover tomorrow - she's being fed/watered, etc. in our garage until then. Kitten pictures attached...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Angel2016

jenn1984 wrote: »
    We've decided to keep three of our six foster kittens. Finding homes seems to be surprisingly hard as we still have nothing sorted for the others. ANOTHER stray cat that we helped months ago with a collar injury decided to give birth to four kittens on our doorstep on Friday morning! Unfortunately we can't take in anymore but luckily we have a home for mum/kittens arranged with swapover tomorrow - she's being fed/watered, etc. in our garage until then. Kitten pictures attached...

They look beautiful one of them looks to have some weapy eyes I would get some cold tea and cotton wool and clean them each day and if it gets worse you can get drops from the vets as it's a type of flu.
    I have loads of kittens to home at the moment and own 8 cats as it is all are because people kept letting their female breed making more and more babies I was fostering them and no on wanted them they stayed with me but I had a catio built in January and its brilliant its an extra space for them so they are not in the house all the time but still have cover from the elements and access obviously to the house.

Angel2016 wrote: »
    They look beautiful one of them looks to have some weapy eyes I would get some cold tea and cotton wool and clean them each day and if it gets worse you can get drops from the vets as it's a type of flu.
    I have loads of kittens to home at the moment and own 8 cats as it is all are because people kept letting their female breed making more and more babies I was fostering them and no on wanted them they stayed with me but I had a catio built in January and its brilliant its an extra space for them so they are not in the house all the time but still have cover from the elements and access obviously to the house.

A few of them have cat flu unfortunately - passed on from mammy cat. We're into a regular routine of dabbing their eyes with cotton balls dipped in cooled water from the kettle followed by eye drops from the vets. One of them is basically blind every morning until we sort him out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Angel2016

A few of them have cat flu unfortunately - passed on from mammy cat. We're into a regular routine of dabbing their eyes with cotton balls dipped in cooled water from the kettle followed by eye drops from the vets. One of them is basically blind every morning until we sort him out.

Ah god love them it's very sad I had that myself but they do come around one of my females Flora is 4 and still has runny eyes it wont go away but can just be contained vet said just to watch if it got worse but for the most part she is grand just the odd time you have to wipe it.

If only people would get their females spayed !
    I was trying to uploads pics of my cat enclosure but cant do it on here its a great idea for a house that has multiple cats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I always got an ointment for my kittens' eyes. They hated it but it worked. Also check for ear mites... they seem to be a cause of eye irritation, too. The third thing to think about is the shape of the cat's face... you can't do anything about the smashed-in overbred Persian look where the top of the nose is higher than the bottom of the eyes.

Angel2016 wrote: »
    Ah god love them it's very sad I had that myself but they do come around one of my females Flora is 4 and still has runny eyes it wont go away but can just be contained vet said just to watch if it got worse but for the most part she is grand just the odd time you have to wipe it.

If only people would get their females spayed !
    I was trying to uploads pics of my cat enclosure but cant do it on here its a great idea for a house that has multiple cats.

I know - it's beyond stupid that people won't make a little effort and get their females spayed. We have our male neutered so he won't contribute to the problem in the area plus it's better for his health. We want to start getting the mammy cats fixed only problem is one kitten from the younger litter that is almost 8 weeks old isn't interested in kitten food yet so we still need mammy cat for feeding :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

eyedrops alone won't sort the issue.He needs antibiotics...frankly, they all do to kill the virus off.you can only have them vaccinated if they are completely healthy so a course of AB is an absolute must.There is a long acting AB called convenia,it's given by injection.Not the cheapest option but it does save the hassle and insecurity ans stress of tablets...

I know - it's beyond stupid that people won't make a little effort and get their females spayed. We have our male neutered so he won't contribute to the problem in the area plus it's better for his health. We want to start getting the mammy cats fixed only problem is one kitten from the younger litter that is almost 8 weeks old isn't interested in kitten food yet so we still need mammy cat for feeding :(

LOL...8 weeks is well old enough to be weaned,spoiled little fella so he is. My rule of thumb is: if kittens have teeth,they are old enough to start solid food.Mix some kitten formula with catfood..he'll change quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

eyedrops alone won't sort the issue.He needs antibiotics...frankly, they all do to kill the virus off.you can only have them vaccinated if they are completely healthy so a course of AB is an absolute must.There is a long acting AB called convenia,it's given by injection.Not the cheapest option but it does save the hassle and insecurity ans stress of tablets...

The eyedrops are probably fucithalmic (think the name may have changed but that's what it used to be called) so should be enough to clear it up.

• Advertisement

Funny... we went to our vets and he said the only thing for it was the eye drops. I'm very familiar with convenia as our male cat has had a couple of issues that he needed AB with and since he DESPISES the vet, it's better to get something long-lasting so he doesn't have to go back. I think a vets trip for the kittens is in order...

Rommie wrote: »
    The eyedrops are probably fucithalmic (think the name may have changed but that's what it used to be called) so should be enough to clear it up.

no, they won't.The virus is in the body.only using drops will treat the symptoms, not the disease

Funny... we went to our vets and he said the only thing for it was the eye drops. I'm very familiar with convenia as our male cat has had a couple of issues that he needed AB with and since he DESPISES the vet, it's better to get something long-lasting so he doesn't have to go back. I think a vets trip for the kittens is in order...

yes I would say so. Vet is right that eye drops will help the ye..if applied every day.But it will always come back.Best to kill the virus...I love me my convenia. I've got 10 feral's only way to treat them is convenia, a pair of leather gloves and a shrinking cage....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

no, they won't.The virus is in the body.only using drops will treat the symptoms, not the disease

It's an antibiotic eye ointment and has worked on every single rescue cat/kitten with cat flu that I've had in the past ten years. Vet has never reccommended anything else and they are a cats only vet so I'm not going to doubt them

Edit to add: Now on the other hand if this is the full blown thing with mouth ulcers and all then yeah I would definitely be going back to the vet

Rommie wrote: »
    It's an antibiotic eye ointment and has worked on every single rescue cat/kitten with cat flu that I've had in the past ten years

I know what it is lol. And yes it will work on the eyes. But it won't kill the virus in the body. Always use it in combination with,otherwise you're just thinking short term..

One of the kittens whose eyes are particularly bad is losing her voice - not sure if that could be connected to ulcers which we've never checked for. Unfortunately I'm not too confident in the abilities of our vet - we had a brilliant one until last year, who then emigrated. The replacement doesn't particularly care about cats, funny for a vet I know. Large animals seems to be their main focus but the other vets in town doesn't have any scanning equipment, etc. so we don't have much of a choice :( I'm terrified for down the road as I wouldn't want to take our own cat to her for anything. We had a stray last year with a bad injury - we took her in to the vets and were told she had a broken tail - so we looked after her with this info. A month later the nice vet (who left soon after) told us she also had a broken back - we couldn't figure out why the poor thing was growling when we lifted her!! Rant over... :p

One of the kittens whose eyes are particularly bad is losing her voice - not sure if that could be connected to ulcers which we've never checked for. Unfortunately I'm not too confident in the abilities of our vet - we had a brilliant one until last year, who then emigrated. The replacement doesn't particularly care about cats, funny for a vet I know. Large animals seems to be their main focus but the other vets in town doesn't have any scanning equipment, etc. so we don't have much of a choice :( I'm terrified for down the road as I wouldn't want to take our own cat to her for anything. We had a stray last year with a bad injury - we took her in to the vets and were told she had a broken tail - so we looked after her with this info. A month later the nice vet (who left soon after) told us she also had a broken back - we couldn't figure out why the poor thing was growling when we lifted her!! Rant over... :p

For crying out loud..must be a country vet so, only cattle and sheep. If you can find another great, I'll pm you what needs doing meanwhile

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

So the kittens are getting bigger and bolder now! I still have 4 of them left. I was away this week and my boyfriends sister looked after them, I can't believe how big they got in 5 days!!

A family member has been ill so we have been a little distracted recently and about 3 weeks ago, I noticed that one of my original cats had gotten pregnant. While I was away, she refused to come inside the house for my bf's sister (not unusual, she does this every time I'm away). As soon as I got back tonight, she came flying into the house, via the window. Her bump is gone so I think she has had her kittens! I went to look for them but it's too dark and wet and I couldn't see them.

She went back outside a few minutes ago and went straight for a shed so I'm guessing they might be in there. I'll need someone to help open the shed tomorrow and I'll go looking! I'm so stressed at the thought of more kittens but excited to see them grow too.

I will post pictures of the first set of kittens tomorrow and if I find Fluffy's kittens, I'll post a picture of those too.

Oh dear!! Were you able to find them? The first of ours went today- 2 went to the same family. It broke our hearts :(

Oh dear!! Were you able to find them? The first of ours went today- 2 went to the same family. It broke our hearts :(

Yeah I found them after in a shed outside. She has them well looked after. The shed is full of straw and very warm so she was a clever cat to have them in there.

I want to move them inside the house but I'm afraid to with the other kittens as they're very giddy and because of their mum who can be a bit nasty. I don't know what to do!

https://imgur.com/a/XpiSO

Also, another of the original kittens went to its new home today. He's gone with a lovely girl I went to school with her and her daughter. I was so sad to see him go but more sad for his mammy and brothers who can't find him. Giving away kittens is hard. But keeping 11 cats is just to expensive for us so it's the best thing to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Why wasn't she neutered?

Neutering would have been ideal - we got one of our stray mammys done 2 weeks ago. We have the 2nd stray on antibiotics to help with her cat flu - then she's going in for her operation next week. Hows mammy/kittens doing in the shed KatW4?

Why wasn't she neutered?

She's not neutered because we have had the worst year of our lives and we forgot. A simple mistake. All the kittens and cats will have a happy home with us if we can't rehome them. We may have made a mistake in not getting her neutered but we will look after every one of them no matter what.
    jenn1984 wrote:
    Neutering would have been ideal - we got one of our stray mammys done 2 weeks ago. We have the 2nd stray on antibiotics to help with her cat flu - then she's going in for her operation next week. Hows mammy/kittens doing in the shed KatW4?

They're doing great. She actually carried them into the house today and has set up her new home in the bottom of my wardrobe the little monkey. She's doing a great job as a mammy, she's very proud of them and extremely protective over them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭morgana

Aww how sweet :). And you are doing a great job in looking after them all! They certainly landed on their 4 paws :)

Great to know mammy/kittens have you looking out for them. Life gets in the way - I'm sure you would have gotten them neutered in different circumstances. How many felines do you have in the house now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

KatW4 wrote: »
    She actually carried them into the house today and has set up her new home in the bottom of my wardrobe the little monkey.

Too cute - we need a pic!!!

jenn1984 wrote:
    Great to know mammy/kittens have you looking out for them. Life gets in the way - I'm sure you would have gotten them neutered in different circumstances. How many felines do you have in the house now?

We had something pretty major and pretty awful happen and if it hadn't, she would have been neutered. However, they will always be looked after here.

We have 10 cats altogether. My own 3 and Fluffy's 3 kittens , Angel the stray and the 3 kittens left that haven't been rehomed yet. I know it's mad to have that many but we are very lucky that we have a huge yard and plenty of sheds for them to explore, play and hunt for mice. Then they have their own room in the house for when they're being fed and when they're in for the night.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

All those purrrrrsss...... :o:):):):)

Too cute - we need a pic!!!

This was her out in the shed. Her kittens are hard to see because they're all black and white!

I didn't put a picture of them inside because she's currently in a laundry basket on top of a pillow and it looks pretty squashed. She's not and that's where she wants to be but hopefully I'll coax her into the big dog bed I had for the other cat and her kittens.

https://imgur.com/a/bRCli

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

KatW4 wrote: »
    This was her out in the shed. Her kittens are hard to see because they're all black and white!

I didn't put a picture of them inside because she's currently in a laundry basket on top of a pillow and it looks pretty squashed. She's not and that's where she wants to be but hopefully I'll coax her into the big dog bed I had for the other cat and her kittens.

https://imgur.com/a/bRCli

omg!....starting my day with such a cute pic!!!!

Advertisement