Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you return a library book to any library in Fingal?

Options
  • 15-05-2016 10:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭

I borrowed a book from Howth library and I live in another part of Fingal. Can I return the book to another Fingal library or does it have to be Howth?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It should be returned to Howth.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I know in dun laoghaire rathdown you can leave it back in any of the other libraries, which I regularly do. I would have thought it would be the same in Fingal.

You can get their email online, libraries are usually quick to respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Lady_North1

You can return it to any library now.... Even Dublin City Council....
    I've picked up books in Fingal using my Dublin City Council Library card. They're all linked so books can be returned to your nearest library.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Yep you can.

I worked in my local library for 2 weeks in 4th year, any books that aren't owned by your branch, are sent back the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... They're all linked so books can be returned to your nearest library.
    .., any books that aren't owned by your branch, are sent back the next day.
    Is someone paid to drive around the different libraries returning books? Seems like a bit of a waste of resources that could be utilised elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Is someone paid to drive around the different libraries returning books? Seems like a bit of a waste of resources that could be utilised elsewhere.

No it's done via post.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Of course someone is paid, better 1 van full of 30 books on the road than 30 cars clogging up the roads doing more mileage delivering books back to more distant libraries. (EDIT: just see the post above, still stands, someone is paid and less cars)

From what I see they want to encourage library use and this is an easy way to do it. The libraries I go to have different opening hours too.

There is lots of inter library stuff going on anyway, people will request books from other libraries and they get delivered to your local one, this can have a fee. It looks to me like they also share staff so I expect some might be sent to another library if they are busy and would presumably bring books with them.

Advertisement