Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting started

Options
  • 15-05-2016 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone, hope this isn't one of the 'ah here, not again threads' but I'm interested in starting triathlons.

Bit of background: I've basically sat on my ass for years and weight went north of 16st. I'm now 31.

September last, I started biking and through a combination of a beginner group that was averse to winter and a really friendly intermediate group, I've got to the stage where I can do 100k+ spins with confidence, if not speed. Weight has dropped a bit, and I've seen more of the wicklow mountains in crappy weather then any normal person should.

Running wise, I did a few weeks in a gym and was comfortable enough doing 10k on either the cross trainer or the treadmill. I'm not a natural runner, but can pound away.

Swimming wise, I thrash around in the water and have zero technique. When I was a gym member late last year, i was doing laps of a half sized pool. Apart from not being able to breath and swim at the same time, I was fit enough to not stop for 5-10 laps, but have zero ability to swim efficiently.

So, is it too late? I'm interested as I want to improve my fitness and I like being out and about. What level of fitness would you need to start knocking on the door of a beginner tri group? Is it true that you guys hate cyclists the same way that we hate motorcyclists and people who go swimming/running straight after a bike ride?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Never too late. Join a local tri club and don't look back. Watch a local race for inspiration...triathletes come in all shapes, sizes and speeds : )

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

ezra_ wrote: »

Is it true that you guys hate cyclists the same way that we hate motorcyclists and people who go swimming/running straight after a bike ride?!

no, thats a cyclist thing due to insecurity because most of them aren't half as fit and fast as they think. anyone who is really a cyclist that i know doesn't share this fred-like dislike for cyclists.

from what you post, you'll have no problem with the fitness side of tri. you should have the fitness for a sprint no bother. your biggest problem will be the swim, not just the fitness but getting the technique right to get through 750m, and then transferring that to the open water. being able to swim 750m (really you'd want to be comfortable doing twice that, but once the technique is right getting the distance up is much easier) in the pool first is the first step, then you need to get used to OW swimming which is a very different thing.

where are you based? Joining a club would be your best bet, and people can recommend one if we know where you are based

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Its just part of the rules I guess.

I'm based near Naas (albeit in Wicklow).
    I know that with cycing, there is a minimum ability of being able to ride 20k or so that clubs will look for before you rock up and say hi (unless they are running a special intro group). Does such a thing exist in tri?

What gear do you need at the start - I have a bike and a pair of runners. I don't have a wetsuit...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

to train you'll need nothing more. you'll need to do pool work before you start thinking about OW so no immediate need for a wetsuit but if you want to do a race this season (probably end of season one) you'll need a wetsuit to do OW practise and the race, wetsuits are compulsory for irish races given the water temps

wrong side of the country for me so will let the locals advise a club.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cart man

There is a good active Tri club in Naas. Best of luck, probably your best place to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Hi ezra,
    A friend of mine (aged 43 and a bit) joined the Naas Triathlon club last year and went from being a very weak swimmer to comfortably being able to get around a 750M Sprint event after about 4-5 months of training, swimming in particular was his area for focus, so they come highly recommended.

I went a slightly different route as I live in the big Schmoke and took group 'improver swimming lessons' in a pool for 10 weeks (small class and was ideal), as my running and cycling were ok ish. I made really good progress and would recommend this route too if joining a club isn't something that you want to consider at the moment.

The Howth Aquathon (500M swim and 3K run or 1,000M and longer run option) are ideal for a first OW swim event. They run 3 of these per year, the first of which is actually tonight. I plan to give it a whirl again tonight and hopefully the last 4-5 months in the pool will stand to me as I was a weak swimmer last year.

Anyone else doing Howth tonight??

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

ezra_ wrote: »
    Its just part of the rules I guess.

I'm based near Naas (albeit in Wicklow).
    I know that with cycing, there is a minimum ability of being able to ride 20k or so that clubs will look for before you rock up and say hi (unless they are running a special intro group). Does such a thing exist in tri?

What gear do you need at the start - I have a bike and a pair of runners. I don't have a wetsuit...

I'm a committee member in Naas Triathlon club so give us a shout if you are interested in joining.

Also feel free to pop down to Monread park tonight to do our running set from half 7. Just look for the coach Barry Smyth and he will look after you.

On a side not see you in Howth tonight smashiner!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Thanks for that - I'm out on the bike tonight but is this every Monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

Yep every Monday.

We also have a swim session in K Leisure on Tuesday 9-10pm.

Turbo on Thursday in Pipers Hill School from 8-9.

Feel free to pop down to any of those sessions.

I'm a committee member in Naas Triathlon club so give us a shout if you are interested in joining.

Also feel free to pop down to Monread park tonight to do our running set from half 7. Just look for the coach Barry Smyth and he will look after you.

On a side not see you in Howth tonight smashiner!

Hi BiB,
    Yep, see you there so. I am doing the 500M 'Race 2' with another friend of mine and will be in a 'Tiger Tri' wet suit, yellow swim cap (easier for the kayaks to come rescue me ;)).

Which race are you doing, I take it that you will be in the Naas Tri Gear?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Also a member in Naas - lots of sessions to drop in and out of. More info on their website.

Did Howth last night, really enjoyed it. The sea was bloody cold and I struggled for the first 200M despite a warm up in the sea prior to the start. Great event, totally recommend it to newbie OW swimmers.

I think that I even saw a few lads in Naas Tri gear heading to Beshoffs after the race for sly fish and chips (recovery food)......I was across the car park skulking in my mates car eating mine...:D

Advertisement