Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Lucan to City Center

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Take the Old Lucan Road there's a cycle bridge.

Then take the bridge to Liffey Valley

I did try that, the problem being that when you cross to LV, the cycle path meanders randomly around the centre, then abruptly stops at the large roundabout of death at the entrance.

The Ballyfermot route mentioned above is really good, and I'm going to continue using that I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

ArthurG wrote: »
    I did try that, the problem being that when you cross to LV, the cycle path meanders randomly around the centre, then abruptly stops at the large roundabout of death at the entrance.

The Ballyfermot route mentioned above is really good, and I'm going to continue using that I think.

When you get the busstop at LV/Foot bridge over, turn right down onto the old road. You cycle up road to Hermitage, onto path and cycle up cycle path getting back onto beside the N3. Not having to cross the on/off ramps of the N3.

Still don't understand why cyclists are continuing to cross them or cycle out with the traffic on the N3 over the M50 interchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Tommy Max

does canal path go the whole way in to city centre from adamstown lucan. or do you have to come off it onto main roads.

was thinking of jogging to work along the route. is it safe? I see a bit online about attacks etc.

the other option is to jog into chapelizod and then on via islandbridge but then you get into the city and its just a nuasance with traffic and lights.

Would ideally prefer a quieter more relaxing traffic free route along the canal if it is safe and goes all the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

It's very separate from the road from Lucan to Inchicore. After that, there's a stretch down to Suir Bridge that runs alongside the Luas line. There are just a few roads to be crossed along the way.

Regarding safety, I've never had any problem in the mornings. Too early for scumbags, I reckon. In the summer evenings, there can be some boyos around the lock gates etc. and I've been intimidated by them on occasion. I've read about attacks. I've pretty much abandoned it in the evenings but would use it if it's a mucky wet evening....as the scumbags would more likely be indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

The canal is nice to cycle on and the road separation is brilliant. I've found that around the clondalkin section near park west it can get a little hairy at times, lads riding motorbikes erratically along the path but they have always left me alone. There are cameras the entire route which seem to be manned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭VeryRapidSkoda

I agree with Onmebike, I do the canal route every morning and its fine. Lots of people out walking, jogging etc and other cyclists going in both directions, so far never had a problem.
    I used to come home that way in the evening but decided to stop after having stones thrown by gangs of teenagers drinking at the locks. Mainly at the Killeen lock, I went under the bridge there and unwittingly came up into the middle of them. This was when the weather was lovely, they were not there when it was raining or wintery out. They wait until people are stopped and going through the gate to throw stuff, there are cameras there but nothing ever seemed to be done to disperse them.
    I've since stuck to cycling back the Ballyfermot route and its much quicker, just be wary of cars turning left into the car park by the pub across from Iceland. I had a close call there once when a car which was stopped in traffic suddenly just pulled out without indicating and into a spot. I managed to stop but close enough that my front wheel managed to touch his tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I agree with Onmebike, I do the canal route every morning and its fine. Lots of people out walking, jogging etc and other cyclists going in both directions, so far never had a problem.
    I used to come home that way in the evening but decided to stop after having stones thrown by gangs of teenagers drinking at the locks. Mainly at the Killeen lock, I went under the bridge there and unwittingly came up into the middle of them. This was when the weather was lovely, they were not there when it was raining or wintery out. They wait until people are stopped and going through the gate to throw stuff, there are cameras there but nothing ever seemed to be done to disperse them.
    I've since stuck to cycling back the Ballyfermot route and its much quicker, just be wary of cars turning left into the car park by the pub across from Iceland. I had a close call there once when a car which was stopped in traffic suddenly just pulled out without indicating and into a spot. I managed to stop but close enough that my front wheel managed to touch his tyre.

Always thought about running on it but wasn't sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 TheManthatsDan

Used to cycle the canal every day from Bawnouge towards Glasnevin, it's a joy to use as it's completely separate from cars and you can chill, same with the dark evenings as there are plenty of others around but I usually took the long way home after 11pm or so.
    Agreed that the summer is the worst part as the scrotes hang around and act hard but never had any issues with them.
    I stopped going under the bridge at Killeen after a puncture, but it often looked "inhabited" under there. The cameras can't see under there, likewise the bridge at Bawnouge.

There's always a few drinkers at the bench nearest to the waterside pub, they've never said a word to me, but watch out for constant broken glass on the ground.

Also instead of following the canal passed inchicore ( great for Rathmines/Harcourt Street etc ) you can carry on straight and make it to Thomas Street via Fatima/Marrowbone in a few minutes.

Definitely recommend it from Lucan, it's all cycle lanes from woodies/penny hill to the canal too. practically Amsterdam sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Tommy Max

is the canal route straightforward the whole way in from adamstown? you don't have to come off the canal path? I want to get in to merrion square.

since I plan on running some mornings I just want to be away from traffic. have gone in his deadmans inn down tgrough chapelizod islandbridge. its grand until you get to heuston and then its just traffic and lights. not very enjoyable jogging stretch.

has anybody jogged in the mornings early between 6 and 7am along the canal towards merrion square? any hassle or risk at that time?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

I'd regularly cycle that early and never had any bit of trouble. It's very quiet and usually only a couple of people walking or cycling at that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 TheManthatsDan

There's several stops at traffic lights along the way I'm afraid, but this is after good long stretches of Canal, there's a couple of those kissing gate things too that aren't even at lights, but they have a space for you to scoot through, it will stop your rhythm a but you will stay on the canal path until Inchicore.

To get to Merrion Square you would turn right at Inchicore following the Canal, meaning you could go under nearly all the bridges for that stretch thereafter, turn left at Lesson Street and onto Fitzwilliam Place and your there.

6 to 7am is grand, there's a small halting site popped up on the road opposite Lucretia tyres at Adamstown where you'd probably start, and a massive one on the opposite side of the Canal at Labre Park, Kylemore. You will get scramblers later in the day from Bawnouge to Ballyfermot too but again, there's a huge amount of people around at that time.

I'd 100% recommend using it, it's a lovely escape from busy roads especially in the morning, saw two swans preparing for the female to give birth one time, building the nest for a couple of days on the opposite bank at Parkwest, a few days later they swam past with their new signets and I watched them get bigger over the next few months, you don't get that on the street.

Oh and after you get on, cross over the red zig zag bridge so that your on the right hand side...

Advertisement