Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hand, foot and mouth

Options
  • 16-05-2016 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

I'm back to work since March and my son has been in creche since. He had hand foot and mouth for the first time about four weeks ago, and on Saturday he broke out again. I know it has to run its course and we're doing everything recommended. Is it unusual to get it more then once? Baba is in terrible form and we've had two tough nights, I also now have to arrange alternative daycare/take time off work as I don't think he'll be back in creche until next week. Should I be disinfecting all his toys? Can he re-infect himself?

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I'm back to work since March and my son has been in creche since. He had hand foot and mouth for the first time about four weeks ago, and on Saturday he broke out again. I know it has to run its course and we're doing everything recommended. Is it unusual to get it more then once? Baba is in terrible form and we've had two tough nights, I also now have to arrange alternative daycare/take time off work as I don't think he'll be back in creche until next week. Should I be disinfecting all his toys? Can he re-infect himself?

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Hand foot and mouth seems to have been rampant for the past year or so, my little lad had it and its horrible for them. You have to disinfect everything they go near as kids always end up putting things in their mouth. Maybe mention it ot the creche as it wouldnt be unusual for parents to still send their kids in while sick and thats why he caught it again

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Leinster1980

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Hand foot and mouth seems to have been rampant for the past year or so, my little lad had it and its horrible for them. You have to disinfect everything they go near as kids always end up putting things in their mouth. Maybe mention it ot the creche as it wouldnt be unusual for parents to still send their kids in while sick and thats why he caught it again

We told the creche the last time and they said no other kids had it. That's the only place he was and at home with us. I'll tell them again. Would they normally disinfect toys after a break out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Yes you can be reinfected, my little lad had it 3 times in one year unfortunately.
    The crèche might think none of the kids have it - symptoms vary and I have heard of parents giving the child a dose of paracetamol before dropping them off so the temperature doesn't go up, and the parents don't have to take a day off work.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

My daughter had it three times but probably over two or more years.

Definitely saw a child in creche with it - she had the rash on her hands but no one seemed to realise what it was, myself included until after my daughter was diagnosed. If their form is good parents might not think of it as a virus but a reaction to something. My daughter came home from my parents before, twice, with a rash on her hands only that disappeared. We never did figure out what caused it.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Leinster1980

Well I notified the creche and no other kid has it apparently. When the rash has dried out I'll disinfect everything here. My hearts breaking for him, his poor little hands. All he wants is me at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

My youngest has had it 4 times in a year. The virasooth gel for chicken pox (it's like a cooling gel) works really well for it.

Re the cr che: my oldest had lab confirmed scarlet fever a few weeks ago. Despite the fact she goes into the baby room in the morning until 9, then the preschool room, then the pre preschool room at 12 and then into the wobbler room at 5 not one other child got it, or had despite her being nowhere else: I have no idea how or where else she could have picked it up. No one else I knew got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Got it a few times as well, different strains of the virus apparently. They all presented with high fevers, but some had the rash on hands, mouth and feet, others just in the mouth (so not as easy to spot).

I think we picked it up in creche, but also from shopping trolleys (child had this yucky habit of chewing on the handle and on the chain thingy when put in the trolley - by the time i noticed it was too late :()

There would have been no way of not realising what he had though, fever was always sky high and he was miserable. No way i could have sent him to creche even with a dose of calpol...:confused:

Advertisement