Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap architectural technician?

Options
  • 16-05-2016 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

We want to do some small reconstruction to our house – Just put in a glass back wall, move a wall and move a door. We were wondering is it possible to get an architectural technician/structural engineers opinion on this together which a few simple drawings that wouldn’t be that expensive. Just something for the builder to follow.

We are not looking for something very detailed. I appreciate architects and structural engineers prefer to provide more thorough services and get paid accordingly for them. However, I thought with the sparser work that is there for them now, some (e.g. recently qualified ones) would be willing to provide this more scaled down cheaper service.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,654 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

amsbam1 wrote: »
    However, I thought with the sparser work that is there for them now, some (e.g. recently qualified ones) would be willing to provide this more scaled down cheaper service.

sparser work????

any body in the architectural services area worth their salt would be up to their eyes in work these days.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

There's also the insurance issue -

If someone gives you drawings that are "light" on detail and the builder then follows these drawings with his own "interpretations" for any missing information who will be held responsible if the builder's interpretation isn't adequate.

Rest assured that the professional will end up being blamed (read sued) by any insurance company or solicitor engaged in future.

Another reason why any professional will want to provide a "full" service.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

We want to do some small reconstruction to our house – Just put in a glass back wall, move a wall and move a door. We were wondering is it possible to get an architectural technician/structural engineers opinion on this together which a few simple drawings that wouldn’t be that expensive. Just something for the builder to follow.

We are not looking for something very detailed. I appreciate architects and structural engineers prefer to provide more thorough services and get paid accordingly for them. However, I thought with the sparser work that is there for them now, some (e.g. recently qualified ones) would be willing to provide this more scaled down cheaper service.

There are no toned down or cheaper structural drawings. The engineers details have to be followed to a tee.

What would you expect to be a decent price paid for this service?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭amsbam1

kceire wrote: »
    There are no toned down or cheaper structural drawings. The engineers details have to be followed to a tee.

Well, if liability over incomplete drawings is an issue, then I can do without the drawings.

For moving the non-supporting wall and moving the door I can do up a quick drawing myself and give it to the builder.

Inserting the glass back wall is the issue, which I would like to consult with an expert for and see their opinion on what type of supports are needed to support the roof. I do not require any legally binding opinion that could be used possibly be used to sue the technician, and I am happy to sign something to this accord.

Well, if liability over incomplete drawings is an issue, then I can do without the drawings.

For moving the non-supporting wall and moving the door I can do up a quick drawing myself and give it to the builder.

Inserting the glass back wall is the issue, which I would like to consult with an expert for and see their opinion on what type of supports are needed to support the roof. I do not require any legally binding opinion that could be used possibly be used to sue the technician, and I am happy to sign something to this accord.

That's the thing. Whoever gives you that opinion has a duty of care to provide the correct opinion in line with statutory regulations, realavent laws and that's before you get into the health and safety act.

If you are sure the wall is non load bearing then fine, but for the structural work then an engineer will need to be consulted and he/she will give an opinion on paper.

No sign out clause would stand up in court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭amsbam1

kceire wrote: »
    for the structural work then an engineer will need to be consulted

No sign out clause would stand up in court.

Is it possible for me to go straight to the structural engineer and get a report from him/her, and therefore skip out the architect? Because, this structural advice is the main thing i need.

Is it possible for me to go straight to the structural engineer and get a report from him/her, and therefore skip out the architect? Because, this structural advice is the main thing i need.

Yes I would say so.

Advertisement