Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plain (ungrooved) decking timber

• 16-05-2016 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

Does anyone know where I would find plain , smooth decking timber in 16ft lengths? I'm located in Dublin.

Anyone I am calling don't do it.

Thanks in advance,

T.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

teflon wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I would find plain , smooth decking timber in 16ft lengths? I'm located in Dublin.

Anyone I am calling don't do it.

Thanks in advance,

T.

The grooves are designed to give you grip - smooth wet planks are dangerous. Why do you want them without a groove ?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭teflon

The smooth ones are supposed to be just as good as the ribbed ones. I, and by I means my wife, wants the plain boards. The ribbed ones we have at the moment are well past their use by date and have been treated to death.

She was looking for hardwood plain decking or composite but they are very expensive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,046 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i assumed the grooves were to prevent water pooling on the surface. don't think i've ever seen plain ones.

i assumed the grooves were to prevent water pooling on the surface. don't think i've ever seen plain ones.

http://www.qualitydecking.co.uk/our-products/decking/treated-softwood-decking/smooth-decking/?productId=6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Some deckboards, will be groved one side, plain the other,

I have used plain , and find it dries quicker, infact the grooves are a magnet for dirt, and in my opinion , make for a slippy desk

Abbey woods baldoyle, used to supply plain

• Advertisement

k123456 wrote: »
    Some deckboards, will be groved one side, plain the other,

I have used plain , and find it dries quicker, infact the grooves are a magnet for dirt, and in my opinion , make for a slippy desk

Where did you get the plain ones from ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

don't mean to be smart but could you not just use the back side of grooved ones?

RobAMerc wrote: »
    don't mean to be smart but could you not just use the back side of grooved ones?

Most of the grooved ones have recesses/grooves on the other side also.

Where did you get the plain ones from ?

Used to get from Ashbourne timber, who went put of business a couple of years back

If you cant find plain in the usual building suppliers,

Try Noyeks or Clonee Sawmills, Abbey Baldoyle

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Mike_Hunt

I used the smooth side of treated decking boards for my deck (built last year). I bought from www.build4less.ie and the decking boards (actually the whole order) ended up coming from Brooks in Sandyford. I needed to do more work on the deck this year and ordered direct from Brooks - same boards in stock.

http://www.brooksgroup.ie/catalog/product/view/id/2206/s/32x125mm-brooks-decking-treated-l-mtr/category/37/

https://www.build4less.ie/gardening-materials/garden-decking/garden-decking-35mm-x-125mm-x-4-8m-machined-to-27mm-thickness.html

• Advertisement

I think they are flat of the side. The attached are the boards I'm looking for.

Would you know where I could get these?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Mike_Hunt

Sorry haven't seen those particular ones.

I think they are flat of the side. The attached are the boards I'm looking for.

Would you know where I could get these?

Thanks

If you cant find plain in the usual building suppliers,

Try Noyeks or Clonee Sawmills, Abbey Baldoyle

If no luck there , Kelly sheds , or other manufacturer of sheds, they use a non ribbed PT board
    or
    http://www.glennonbrothers.ie/

It will help the deck to dry quickly if there is a very small fall , to aid draining , This in turn keeps it less slippy ,,,,ensure a 5mm gap between deck boards, use a few spare 3 inch nails for this, as you lay them .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

came across this last night

http://www.timberireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

By the way - it seems Brooks don't do smooth decking anymore.

Advertisement