Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory Gallagher Festival for non-fans?

Options
  • 16-05-2016 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

My dad is the biggest ever Rory Gallagher fan and goes to the festival every year. This year it's his 60th birthday on the Saturday so my brother, sister and I are going to Donegal for the weekend and spending some time at the festival with him. Normally we would have tried to do something else for his birthday separate from the festival but this year the only way we can all get together is on that day in Donegal.

None of us know anything about Rory Gallagher. So we've booked a house about half an hours drive away and the plan is to head in there for a few hours each day to hang out around the festival and then let my dad off to his own devices with his friends for the rest of it.

My question to anyone who has been to the festival is....will it be a bit of craic around Ballyshannon during the day if you're not a Rory fan? Also I have a one year old son who we want to bring in for a few hours during the day to see my dad on his birthday. Is it an ok atmosphere during the day for that?

Any feedback appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

You don't have to be an actual fan of the music to enjoy the festival, I have been at it a few times and there is a great buzzing atmosphere. Ballyshannon is a lovely town it kinda reminds me of a Swiss village in the mountains as the town is built on a hill. There will be plenty of rock and blues sessions in most of the pubs plus outdoor music, probably a few gig rigs set up too. A great way to celebrate yer dads 60th too I bet he plays electric guitar also, am I right.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

This is the site map for the festival, but there will be buskers, street entertainers and side events too for children that are not featured in the festival bill poster, plus Bundoran is just two miles down the road with a fun fair, Aquaworld, the beach and other entertainments.

9708940.jpg?474

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Cheese Princess

A great way to celebrate yer dads 60th too I bet he plays electric guitar also, am I right.

Ha ha he wishes....maybe that's what we'll get him for a present!

Thanks guys - good to know all that - looking forward to it now - hopefully we'll get some sunshine too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Rory G is good craic no matter whether you're a fan of the man himself or not. There's always a great atmosphere around Ballyshannon that weekend. As bodhrandude says, you're only 5 minutes from Bundoran too if you want to head to the beach or whatever. Rossnowlagh is right beside you as well, which is a nice wee spot. Really nice pub called The Gaslight there if you're looking for something to eat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭picaso30

The main thing to bear in mind is the weather. If it is good, their are plenty of options and there will be a great atmosphere around the town. Also you can jump on the shuttle bus which commutates into Bundoran and back if yee don't have a car. Bear in mind that in the evening it will get abit messy with drunk people about and all so best to hit it early in the day. If the weather is bad their are very few options and every pub in the town will be wall to wall so you would probably be better meeting your Father in another location.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Not a fan, knew none of his songs, but went one weekend, had seen one of the acts before, also in Ballyshannon, and heard of one or two of the other acts. Booked weekend tickets for the big tent, and enjoyed every night of it. Very ranging crowd, from teens to old rockers, no trouble, barr a wee scuffle lasting just a few minutes, and most likely a group of lads from one Donegal town, facing off with a group from another town.

Thanks all - hopefully it stays dry and we'll have plenty to do around the town.
    Wouldn't mind actually staying for the whole thing to see what it's really like but not possible with small man in tow - maybe next year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

I have been going every year since 2011, its a great festival. We're staying in Bundoran this year, we camped the previous 5 years but after the wind and rain last year, I would never camp again!

The weather looks great this year, which is great. Lots of free outdoor gigs, and pubs gigs. The Big top gigs are around €20-30 a night, so its not going to break the bank either if ye decide to go in. I would suggest seeing Band of Friends (playing the sunday night I think), as the band is formed of past band mates of Rory.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭quaidox

went down for the first time this year, great craic, weather of course greatly helped. trying to get back to bundoran was a bit of hassle, but we left it to try and get taxis way after the 2.30 last bus time....made it tho, so it's do-able for sure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement