Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youthreach Resource Persons

Options
  • 16-05-2016 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

As far as I'm aware the conversion process for tutors in Youthreach centres is now complete across ETBs. All tutors have now been converted to teachers with teaching contacts and with all the associated benefits this brings, i.e. working year reduced from 209 to 167 days in line with second level colleagues, incremental scale, eligibility for redeployment, as well as other benefits for career progression afforded by recognition as a teacher.

In contrast, qualified teachers in Resource Person posts were not offered a conversion. What we do in the classroom is not considered 'teaching'. If we were to secure new teaching positions in mainstream schools we would have to apply for a 'non-teaching' incremental credit. The maximum credit that can be awarded is 5 years even if we have 'taught' for many more years than this in Youthreach. We are also not eligible for transfer/redeployment to a post-primary school.

Surely this recent conversion for our part time colleagues creates much more inequality within Youthreach centres than it solved. Resolution no. 282, recently carried at the TUI Annual Congress 2016, seeks the restructuring of Youthreach staff to align their terms and conditions of employment to those of teachers and principals in mainstream education. However, in the current proposed TUI/DES agreement a conversion process for Resource Persons is not listed as a top priority, as it is for BTEI staff. The TUI negotiated the conversion process for tutors to teachers following a labour court agreement. How can they stand back now and not prioritise a similar conversion for other Youthreach staff.
    I can't see how this inequality can continue. Do any other Resource Persons feel this way? How are staff reacting in your centres?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ustazjoseph

In some areas this scale was being used to hire non youthreach staff in literacy , admin , refugee teaching etc. The tui seem to have finally put a halt to that but regularising these posts will be messy. its a ridiculous situation

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭xtralong

I don't feel the TUI are adequately representing Youthreach Resource Persons, we get completely lost in the mix with all the school based issues and discussions. If Croke Park hours were all we had to suffer we'd be laughing.
    If the inequality in terms and conditions existed in schools the way it does now among teachers and resource persons in Youthreach centers there would be a full on strike in the morning, no one would accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ustazjoseph

In fairness TUI is mainly concerned with the second level stufff and lots of second level colleagues do nt know much about further ed. In our branch when enough people went to branch meetings and kept the issue on the agenda some movement began. We still have people paid in appropriate posts but at least now its accepted that this is not ok. Go to meetings , bring other resource persons , make a little noise. email your area rep who might be a second level person who doesnt know a lot about it . its a slow process but thats how it works i guess

I have been attending meetings, emailing union reps and trying to make some noise. All are in agreement about the lack of fairness and the inequality, they say these issues are cropping up across the country, but nothing is done. If the proposed TUI/DES agreement (which isn't good enough, but may be a start) is voted against discussions relating to our issues might be put on hold for a long time. Ideally it would be good to get a strong group of Resource Persons from centres nationwide together to lobby the DES directly as the union doesn't seem to be doing an adequate job on our behalf. We could organise a meeting and structure a letter/petition. The Youthreach co-ordinators have their own association, why shouldn't we?! Strength in numbers, anyone interested?

It appears that qualified teachers working as resource persons in Youthreach centres are yet again being sold short by the TUI in the current DES/TUI negotiations. The latest edition of TUI News states that the "TUI has furnished the DES with a draft incremental credit scheme for the Youthreach Co-ordinator and Youthreach Resource Person grades for its consideration." While this is a welcome development (and long overdue), it falls far too short of Resolution no. 282, which was carried at Annual Congress 2016, seeking the restructuring of Youthreach staff to align their terms and conditions of employment to those of teachers and principals in mainstream education.
    In the same edition of the TUI News it is explained that in relation to BTEI teachers "the DES has confirmed unequivocally that the commitment to convert those qualified and registered as teachers to the teaching grade will be honored." Compare the words 'commitment' and 'will be honored' in the BTEI update with the language in the Youthreach update. Phrases like 'furnished the DES' and 'for its consideration' don't exactly inspire confidence, and show a lack of commitment to gaining equality for resource persons.
    I would urge all qualified teachers employed as resource persons in Youthreach centres, to make contact with the TUI while negotiations with the DES are still ongoing. Demand that Resolution no. 282 is followed through before this ship sails for good. We not only deserve to have our terms and conditions of employment aligned with teachers and principals in mainstream education, but also with teachers in our own centres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭CraftySue

Xtralong, We have in our area being attemding TUI meetings / conferences for years, feel totally disheartened by the whole situation. TUI more often as not, try to ignore us at meetings, and some of the main TUI members representing Youthreach seem to have no appetite for our cause, as we are just little fish. Just wondering what is the purpose and expectation for the "Yothreach Rreview" next year.

CraftySue wrote: »
    Xtralong, We have in our area being attemding TUI meetings / conferences for years, feel totally disheartened by the whole situation. TUI more often as not, try to ignore us at meetings, and some of the main TUI members representing Youthreach seem to have no appetite for our cause, as we are just little fish. Just wondering what is the purpose and expectation for the "Yothreach Rreview" next year.

I'm unsure of the exact nature of this review, details seem to be sketchy. The only info. I can find is in the DES Strategy Statement, Action Plan for Education 2016-2019. It's listed under Objective 2.1: Improve the learning experience and learning outcomes for learners impacted by disadvantage. No. 46: Conduct a review of the Youthreach Programme. Timeline 2017. Delivered by DES.

All very vague indeed, but you can be damn sure that we will be in limbo with regards to improvement in terms and conditions until this review takes place. I can't imagine the TUI will even be bothered to negotiate anything meaningful for YR ahead of this review. They also seem hell bent on ignoring most of my queries and communication. I'll be asking a few q's at next branch meeting early next month.

New TUI subscription rates on website at moment. Other education staff -(youthreach), now being charged full rates. I thought youthreach staff were regarded by TUI as teachers, not OTHER EDUCATION STAFF. and as such fought for our rights as teachers, not others. Why have teachers, working 20 hours, to pay part time rates, but Youthreach staff teaching 20 hours, have to pay full rates- yet work far inferior conditions. It is unacceptable the department categorizing us as others, to impose inferior and demeaning conditions upon us, but for our Union to impose the same inequalities is unforgivable

Just wondering does anyone familiar with Youthreach have any evidence, anecdotal or otherwise, of any resource person either full or part-time being converted to a teaching contract by their ETB?
    There seems to be many inconsistencies between ETBs when it comes to Youthreach, with some still advertising for teachers and others only hiring pro-rata resource persons.

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything yet relating to the incremental credit scheme for youthreach resource persons. I thought we were due to hear something in November

• Advertisement

Nothing yet, I have asked for an update at last TUI branch meeting but no info. was available. It will be interesting to see what it contains, hope we're not sold out!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mammabee

Hi all could someone please tell me if I have been working in a youthreach resource position since 2015 doing holiday/sick leave cover but only got a fixed term contract in 2016 do I still start a payscale 1? Thanking you.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mammabee

CraftySue wrote: »

Hi can someone tell me if the degree allowances are still available to youthreach staff? My employers are telling me they were abolished in 2012 so I am not entitled to it. Does anyone know? I started in 2015 and got a fixed term contract in Sept 2016.

Advertisement