Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Looking for a SV650

• 16-05-2016 4:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭

After a decade or so off the road due to life and laziness I'm hoping to get back on two wheels and am looking at the Suzuki SV650, ideally fully faired. Only thing is there don't seem to be too many of them floating round at present so if anyone here is selling or knows of one for sale a PM or link would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Have a look at http://www.sv650.org/sv_restorer.htm for the common issues which you will come across, and how that guy fixed them

There isn't a great selection on donedeal at the moment, I am also looking for one. There are considerably more in the UK and at the very least you'll find one which has been well minded but also priced correctly.

If you come across any ads with upgraded suspension mentioned, this is likely referring to someone putting a gsxr front end on which is a fairly common modification

up to 2002 were carbed "curvey" model. 2003 was the first year of the pointy fuel injected bikes. 2004+ have some different parts to 2003, but that only makes a difference if you're looking for spares.

If you go to see one and the front forks are very corroded looking, they will all be like this, and if they aren't then the owner has fixed it. The exhaust headers will also be very corroded looking and again will have been fixed by an owner so just don't be turned off by this, and if they are fixed ask if they know why it was done in case it's been tarted up for the sale because it's a lemon

best of luck with it :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭COH

Have a look at http://www.sv650.org/sv_restorer.htm for the common issues which you will come across, and how that guy fixed them

There isn't a great selection on donedeal at the moment, I am also looking for one. There are considerably more in the UK and at the very least you'll find one which has been well minded but also priced correctly.

If you come across any ads with upgraded suspension mentioned, this is likely referring to someone putting a gsxr front end on which is a fairly common modification

up to 2002 were carbed "curvey" model. 2003 was the first year of the pointy fuel injected bikes. 2004+ have some different parts to 2003, but that only makes a difference if you're looking for spares.

If you go to see one and the front forks are very corroded looking, they will all be like this, and if they aren't then the owner has fixed it. The exhaust headers will also be very corroded looking and again will have been fixed by an owner so just don't be turned off by this, and if they are fixed ask if they know why it was done in case it's been tarted up for the sale because it's a lemon

best of luck with it :cool:

Thank you for all that!

Found and secured a lovely SV650 this morning from JP Motorcycles.... excitement isn't the word :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

the white and blue one? its lovely looking. I had an SV as my first big bike and loved it to bits, it was black with partial farings (like the JP one) and I bought the bikini fairings for it to close it up and make it look tidy. Wear well dude, great bike - cant beat a v-twin.

386882.jpg

jameshayes wrote: »
    the white and blue one? its lovely looking. I had an SV as my first big bike and loved it to bits, it was black with partial farings (like the JP one) and I bought the bikini fairings for it to close it up and make it look tidy. Wear well dude, great bike

Thanks man - Yep its the white/blue one! I have the fairings ordered so that'll look similar to the one in your pic.

Should have her out and about for the first spin on Saturday cant bleedin' wait

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Lovely bikes, my son rides one.

But dammit they're awful with the full fairing ~ show off the Vee man.

Lovely bikes, my son rides one.

But dammit they're awful with the full fairing ~ show off the Vee man.

Ya think? I love the fairing. I'll love it even more on the M50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

THey are ugly ****ers without the lower fairing.
    I miss my sv1000 sometimes. So much torque!

COH wrote: »
    Ya think? I love the fairing. I'll love it even more on the M50

Yea I think they're poxy looking with the fullfairing, but that's just a matter of personal opinion of course.

I like to see the engines on bikes, esp the Vee's.

Other than that they're a nice bike (without the full fairing :P ).

My son has the K2 (on a 03 reg) Curvy. We bought it with a lot of problems which needed sorting and spent a great deal of time pulling it apart.

But its sweet as a nut now, the last problem with fixing some woeful front brakes.

The riding position and handling is sporty and I can see why they're a popular track bike. They've a nice punchy engine too.

Best of luck with it.

Yea I think they're poxy looking with the fullfairing, but that's just a matter of personal opinion of course.

I like to see the engines on bikes, esp the Vee's.

Other than that they're a nice bike (without the full fairing :P ).

My son has the K2 (on a 03 reg) Curvy. We bought it with a lot of problems which needed sorting and spent a great deal of time pulling it apart.

But its sweet as a nut now, the last problem with fixing some woeful front brakes.

The riding position and handling is sporty and I can see why they're a popular track bike. They've a nice punchy engine too.

Best of luck with it.

Thanks man - yeah I didn't want to risk buying a bike and having to spend time and money fixing it up etc. so bought it from a garage, fully serviced, new battery & tyres and with a 6 month warranty for peace of mind.

do I remember correctly that you used to use the fitness forum quite alot? Your name looks awful familiar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭Wood

Stop trying to get a free mechanic.

Leave the man alone

COH wrote: »

do I remember correctly that you used to use the fitness forum quite alot? Your name looks awful familiar.

I did a few years ago, it was a bit of craic for awhile. We'd a great thread about TotalFitness and one particular member, we called him 'Dangerous' got some awful stick for his antics in the gym.

But I got a pain in my arse reading the same bad advice regurgitated by newbies time after time. Bad moderating added to that.. I could go on.

I remember you from there, were you into powerlifting?.

Anyway I'm fooked with wear and tear, and rehab'ing a Grade II/III tear of my left pec (doc can't decide whether I should see a surgeon or not, physio is useless ~ I'm in the army so I don't get to choose) ~ sorry for the little rant, but God only knows where my crocked body is going now :o

Oh, about your bike. There are a few SV forums about with lots of advice. You shouldn't run into any problems with it, servicing is a piece of cake. When its out of warranty and needs a service give me a shout and I'll run you through it, its childs play.

I did a few years ago, it was a bit of craic for awhile. We'd a great thread about TotalFitness and one particular member, we called him 'Dangerous' got some awful stick for his antics in the gym.

I remember that exact thread haha
    But I got a pain in my arse reading the same bad advice regurgitated by newbies time after time. Bad moderating added to that.. I could go on.

Some things never change - was a good mix of info and banter back then
    I remember you from there, were you into powerlifting?.

Yeah that's me - still post there in the logs etc and still doing my best to kill myself with a barbell
    Anyway I'm fooked with wear and tear, and rehab'ing a Grade II/III tear of my left pec (doc can't decide whether I should see a surgeon or not, physio is useless ~ I'm in the army so I don't get to choose) ~ sorry for the little rant, but God only knows where my crocked body is going now :o

Get a better doc! Dr Joe Conway out near UCD is probably the best guy in the country to see about that kind of stuff. Ill PM you his details if you like. Alos have a cracker of a physio if you need a second opinion on treatment, but be warned he's quite sadistic

Oh, about your bike. There are a few SV forums about with lots of advice. You shouldn't run into any problems with it, servicing is a piece of cake. When its out of warranty and needs a service give me a shout and I'll run you through it, its childs play.

I'll def check out the SV forums and thank you for the kind offer - you're a gent

Advertisement