Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GSD barking when I leave

• 16-05-2016 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi all,
    So when me and hubby were walking our 2 GSD's the other day, a neighbour of ours stopped us and said that our dogs bark for at least an hour after I leave for work in the morning. I'm not sure how to take this and it's a weight on my mind. I already feel guilty going to work and leaving them without knowing this!! He said that he's telling us as he's an animal lover and doesn't want to see a stressed dog. Now, I understand where he's coming from but I have never seen a sign of stress on either of the dogs. They are 2 slobs, so loyal and cuddly. There's never been a sign of aggression towards anyone. They're more interested in where their next petting is coming from!!! I really do see happy dogs and we spend loads of time with them in the evenings and weekends. They are outside in a very large run, have plenty water & shelter. They sleep indoors and are free to go about the house whenever we're there. I know I'm being defensive now but they are like my children! What did he gain by telling us this information - is there anything I can do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

ali_d wrote: »
    What did he gain by telling us this information - is there anything I can do?

A barking dog is considered a nuisance so if he was planning on reporting it to the local council he's taken the first step by approaching you. It sounds like he's trying to let you know that your dog is unhappy...we have a similar situation with one of our neighbours and it goes from being heartbreaking to head wrecking in a very short space of time when it's constant barking and howling.

The easiest thing to do is set up a camera and record them to see what's happening - a laptop, ipad, webcam etc - it doesn't have to be anything fancy and if they stop after an hour like he says you won't need a huge amount of storage space either. ;) You'll learn a LOT by recording them - it could be something simple that you need to change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

It is INCREDIBLY annoying to be subjected to a barking dog who is at home alone for hours on end. Its like an alarm except your neighbour doesnt usually see his house alarm as his baby but he does see his dog this way! Its not nice for the poor frustrated animal either.

He told you so that you could (hopefully) be responsible and do something about it before someone makes a noise complaint against you to the local council and you are forced into action.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭ali_d

That's fair enough. I really do see why he said it to us but I don't know how to stop it? I don't want to put any of those collars on them.
    He said it's only when I leave and then they quieten down and only bark if the post man arrives or if someone comes in. Which, to be honest, is what a guard dog like a GSD is going to do anyway.
    I've looked into it a little big now and what defines nuisance dog that barks? Are they not to bark at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

My GSD has started doing the exact same thing as well literally only this week. :( He does it for about 15 minutes, it's heartbreaking. I'm making a point about not going near him until he is quiet, as I don't want to reinforce that barking = owner comes back.

Stuff and freeze a Kong full of tasty goodies for him. Every time you leave, give him the Kong, wait a few moments for him to get stuck in and then leave.

Try and avoid making a routine out of you leaving, don't say goodbye/see you later/etc., try and make it as casual as possible when you're going out.

Will be following this thread to see other peoples ideas/experiences.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

I've looked into it a little big now and what defines nuisance dog that barks? Are they not to bark at all?

Not for an hour at at time, no.

My dog gets 2 or 3 free barks MAX before he's brought inside. I live in Dublin City not the countyside with neighbours all around me - some are elderly and also sick, some have babies or mind their grand kids, some work shifts the rest I don't want to annoy. It's not acceptable in a built up area to have a dog out barking like that...and having a complaint made is not something to shrug off.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all responses.

I just want to be clear - I really am taking this seriously and want to act on it as soon as possible. This has come as a shock to us and maybe I'm not getting the right words out there!!
    I don't want this to get to a formal complaint, I really don't.
    No matter where you live, noisy neighbours aren't what you want to be beside. And I don't want that to be us!! (I live in the middle of the country with 6 houses within 1km of us).
    Suppose the reason why we are so shocked is that any time we have met neighbours, we have made a point of asking if the dogs are OK while we're not there and if they ever cause them a problem. And if they had, to let us know. None of them ever had a problem until now.
    I'm just looking for guidance on how to help my dogs be quiet. The don't bark until I'm gone from the property. I'll try the frozen Kong and a big bone. Hopefully that will help them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

OP, dont get upset, and especially dont get upset at your neighbour. If you asked them to tell you if the dogs were ok in your absence, this is what your neighbour is now doing...
    Ask around the other 6 neighbours - especially this man, since he is the one who told you, as an animal lover - Tell him that you are trying to resolve the problem and ask him if this is new behaviour from the dogs - have they just started this barking, or is it going on a while, and no one mentioned it to you? Maybe it has been going on a while, and as you are in the country its not deafening neighbours, but just getting to the stage now where its a bit of a pain...

So when I leave my house, I give the dogs (and the cat :D) a chew - chomp chomp chomp as I leave the house... Ive put the webcam on a few times down through the years, and thankfully, once the chomping is over its faffing around the house, snoozing and looking out the windows, and thats it... I leave a radio on, and I leave lights on too if its winter/dark.
    Frozen Kongs or a bone is a good idea. my dogs get excited to see me GOING when I get the car keys out, and put on my coat - it means a treat!

If you find out if this is new behaviour from the dogs, maybe you can find out WHY they have suddenly started barking - what has changed? is there something going on - tractor in the field behind, visiting cat, squirrels in the trees etc etc. If its new behaviour, something might be starting them off. Do you have a different routine when leaving (eg closing a gate or something, honking as you leave, anything!)

If the barking has been going on for longtime/forever (!) and no one told you til now, then the treats/bones are worth a try. If you put up a webcam it would be interesting to see if there is something that sparks the barking.

With my neighbour I wanted to complain but didn't want to cause any crap with them so let it go when they went away for a month and he was howling 23 hours a day - he was brought for 2 x 30 min walks a day and left out the whole time...at Christmas I listened to it for 2 weeks - and said nothing..He didn't make it back into the house that time and was barking all through the night - 2 and one night, 4 the next, 1:30 the next etc. After a week of that I was ready to complain and didn't care if they told me to FO and even had the section from the control of dogs act about barking printed and highlighted...but was beaten to it by 3 other people not even living on our road! Now everyone on our road was fed up with it but afaik nobody approached them - it was people from the surrounding roads.

At least you're taking notice OP - they 'didn't hear it'!

Wow tk....that is unbelievable....and how could they leave them alone for a month! That's sad. Hope it's not still happening.

I've got 2 fine bones for my dogs tomorrow! I'll give it a few days of that and ask my neighbour at the weekend if it's made any difference. I know he only told us as he cares. It's just still a bit raw and I'm just touchy about them! My hubby works away alot and we've no kids so they're my company and security. I don't want them to be taken away from me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I wouldn't give them bones every day. I don't give mine anything like that unsupervised. Frozen kongs are good if you just need to distract them for a little while after you leave in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

OP, you're a long, long way from having your dogs taken off you :o
    Are you absolutely certain your neighbour is not mistaken? Mistaken identity happens more often than you'd think!
    I fostered a gsd for a few months who was inclined to bark after I left. I'm not sure if you can manage this is they're outside, but I addressed the problem by skyping her for a little while after I left :D
    I set up Skype on the the laptop in her room, and selected the automatic call answer option. I'd call her from my smartphone after leaving and chat a while. Worked a treat!
    I also left the radio on and left her with stuffed kongs etc.
    Is leaving them in the house an option? If you set the place up to minimise potential damage whilst you're out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

He said that he's telling us as he's an animal lover and doesn't want to see a stressed dog.

I used to have a neighbour who's dog barked incessantly. TBH I wasn't angry at the dog but I wanted to volunteer to bring the poor thing for a walk. It was upsetting to listen to.
    Take your neighbour at face value and let him know are working on it but that it will take time.

Advertisement