Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Tax Credit (read: rent relief) and PAYE

Options
  • 16-05-2016 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭

So, long story short: I have been renting (changed places a few times now) continuously since September 2009. Recently I got talking to somebody who told me about the"Rent Tax Credit", which I believe is also called "rent relief".

I remember trying to claim it in 2009 and 2010 and nothing coming out of the request - now I logged in to the PAYE website and shows me "4 tax credits" for 2016, one of which is "Rent Tax Credit". Says "Claimed", but I didn't do anything with it yet. As a matter of fact, I hadn't logged in the PAYE website in about 4 years (I know, I know).

I'm utterly confused here - is the amount being detracted from the monthly tax I pay on my salary, or am I effectively missing out here?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ring the PAYE Information line- and ask.
    If it says 'claimed' it would infer that it is- however, only Revenue can definitively clarify this for you- one way or the other.........
    Ring them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It is a really tiny amount of tax credit, you are not missing out by the sounds of it, they probably applied it and you simply did not notice.

Look at previous years and see was it claimed then, have you gotten a P21 previously, or have a look at your tax credits cert over the past few years as this is what your employer would have based your credits on.

Advertisement