Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stage 4: Medical & Physical

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Boscorelli

tictac__x wrote: »
    Im in the low 100s and still waiting for medical, had the open day over a month ago seems like a long wait, many others still waiting? 😀

I'm mid 200's also. Long road getting this far. Disappointing to hear medical dates are slow to issue. With talks of extra recruits I thought it would be far quicker. Not complaining, least we have plenty of time to prepare ðŸ™႒

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Montague4LC

Delly123 wrote: »
    Hi just a quick question with regards to the medical is there anyone who wears glasses that has done the medical were allowed wear glasses/contacts or how did it work? Or have you a slim chance of passing due to glasses/contacts?

As far as I know you cant wear contacts, if you fail you're given a few months to get laser eye surgery and then repeat medical.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭AM11

And did you get your OOM a few weeks ago or yesterday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Killinator

Hi just a quick question with regards to the medical is there anyone who wears glasses that has done the medical were allowed wear glasses/contacts or how did it work? Or have you a slim chance of passing due to glasses/contacts?

When I did my medical last year they tested with and without my glasses, got through by the skin of my teeth.
    You don't look at a normal chart when tested with no glasses, you put your face up against a screen thing which projects the letters onto a small screen, like using one of those new Samsung vr headsets in a way.

You will get to defer for laser surgery if you fail, and you'll just fall into whatever the next bracket/intake is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Delly123

Killinator wrote: »
    When I did my medical last year they tested with and without my glasses, got through by the skin of my teeth.
    You don't look at a normal chart when tested with no glasses, you put your face up against a screen thing which projects the letters onto a small screen, like using one of those new Samsung vr headsets in a way.

You will get to defer for laser surgery if you fail, and you'll just fall into whatever the next bracket/intake is.
    Thank you so much and if you don't mind me asking do you wear glasses full time or just for reading just not quite sure if I'm in the bracket to pass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

Thank you so much and if you don't mind me asking do you wear glasses full time or just for reading just not quite sure if I'm in the bracket to pass

"The vision standard required of a Garda Trainee is not less than 6/18, 6/18 (correctable to 6/9, 6/12) unaided by glasses or contact lenses, with normal colour vision."

6/18 means that when you stand 6 meters away from the chart you can see the letters someone with 6/6 vision would be able to see from 18 meters away.

An optician or your GP will be able to tell you. Alternatively, for a rough guide, print off a metric Snellen Chart (make sure you're using a printable version and the correct dimensions). LogMAR is more accurate but Snellen is probably easier to interpret for this. Test both eyes individually. Stand 6 meters away then try and read - note the line and what it says beside it. If it is 6/60, 6/36, 6/24 - basically any number above 6/18 you don't meet the requirements and will probably need laser eye surgery. Now pop your glasses back on and test again. As long as you can read the line that corresponds to 6/9, 6/12 with glasses you should pass. If you're using an imperial 20/20 chart stand 20 feet away. There are half-size charts from 3m as well.

If that sounds like a lot of hassle there are a couple of online tests like this one - should give you a rough idea of where you stand: http://www.nanyang.com.sg/dvision_test.html

Or the VERY easy version is this:

http://biomed.science.ulster.ac.uk/vision/sites/vision/IMG/pdf/6_18_pic.pdf

If you can see these pictures from 0.3m you're good. Then check 6/9.

Full list of printable pictures is here: http://biomed.science.ulster.ac.uk/vision/-Printable-examples-.html

If you don't meet the requirements now, don't worry, you have 6 months to get laser eye surgery and the 6 week post-surgery report.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 61_Eh123

Can I just ask are people wearing tracksuits going to the information day on Saturday? Or are ye just bringing a change of clothes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭ganthy

Elliot192 wrote: »
    "The vision standard required of a Garda Trainee is not less than 6/18, 6/18 (correctable to 6/9, 6/12) unaided by glasses or contact lenses, with normal colour vision."

6/18 means that when you stand 6 meters away from the chart you can see the letters someone with 6/6 vision would be able to see from 18 meters away.

Is that 6/18 with both eyes or each eye?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭ganthy

Is it 6/18 with both eyes or each eye?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭AudiKid

61_Eh123 wrote: »
    Can I just ask are people wearing tracksuits going to the information day on Saturday? Or are ye just bringing a change of clothes

I'll be wearing my tracksuit tucked into my socks.

• Advertisement

AudiKid wrote: »
    I'll be wearing my tracksuit tucked into my socks.

Like we are only going to be walking around it ain't we so we won't be sweaty or anything.. So we don't need shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭df14

Like we are only going to be walking around it ain't we so we won't be sweaty or anything.. So we don't need shorts.

You will get a go of the obstacle course if you wish and they will time you

I think we can do the whole test and get advice off the instructors and they can give us their opinion?

You can get sweaty if you want, or just stand and watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

ganthy wrote: »
    Is it 6/18 with both eyes or each eye?

Each eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Coffeeguzzler

Does anyone have a link or the name of the right Beep test? I've looked it up but there's loads of variations and I don't want to get it wrong.

I'm short sighted, so use them for driving but survive without them for the most part. I wear contacts while out and about in the car or on the street on the job. I'm -2.00 on my left and -1.25 on the right with my contact prescription.
    As I said I got the feeling I just about passed, was straining my eyes at some stages.
    But if you do fail it's at least a fail you can fix relatively easily.
    Hope that helps.
    For reference I did my medical last summer so I'm assuming it's not changed.

I think we can do the whole test and get advice off the instructors and they can give us their opinion?

You can get sweaty if you want, or just stand and watch

I think I will bring my shorts so ha... I thought we only got to walk through it not actually do... Well that would be a great opportunity to do it so.

Does anyone have a link or the name of the right Beep test? I've looked it up but there's loads of variations and I don't want to get it wrong.

Loughborough beep test.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭VicMack

Could anyone tell me what's the timeframe from interview result to getting a medical date and also how soon after receiving the interview result will references be called?

I'm sorry if this has been asked before.

I'm waiting on my medical. At what stage will I meet my local sergeant and super?

When do they start processing your vetting?

I'm in the general stream and I'm in the 230's. How many are in the reserve stream and Irish stream, and will I be looking at the November intake since I'm above number 150?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭df14

I'm sorry if this has been asked before.

I'm waiting on my medical. At what stage will I meet my local sergeant and super?

When do they start processing your vetting?

I'm in the general stream and I'm in the 230's. How many are in the reserve stream and Irish stream, and will I be looking at the November intake since I'm above number 150?

Could be at any stage really, I met the sergeant at the end of May only meeting the super tomorrow , I know they contacted the employer last week

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭i-ron

Got my medical date today. Lovely. Anyone else?

i-ron wrote: »

I did too. Are you going to type in the self declaration form, or write on it?

I did too. Are you going to type in the self declaration form, or write on it?

I think I'll type it out, print it then just sign it and send it off.

I think I'll type it out, print it then just sign it and send it off.

I tried that, but the crest at the top of the page dissapears, and the stamp box at the end also. I just wrote on mine neatly

I tried that, but the crest at the top of the page dissapears, and the stamp box at the end also. I just wrote on mine neatly

I'd imagine if they were particular about it being typed they would say. I'll do same myself so if it's easier. ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 41 vivikins

Yep Yep got mine today too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 SKW17

For those who have been issued medical dates, are they August or September?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 MsRoss1123

For those of you who got your medical dates , did you get it to your personal email or public jobs ? I heard nothing, I'm in the low 200's

• Advertisement

MsRoss1123 wrote: »
    For those of you who got your medical dates , did you get it to your personal email or public jobs ? I heard nothing, I'm in the low 200's

They were sent to private emails. Public jobs won't be in contact for the rest of the process as far as im aware, it's all garda hq from here on.

Advertisement