Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stage 4: Medical & Physical

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭bottar1

If you haven't done any intensive exercise all day, as in you are well rested, 25 push ups should be no bother guys!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭fmp3d26og54yi9

bottar1 wrote: »
    If you haven't done any intensive exercise all day, as in you are well rested, 25 push ups should be no bother guys!!

Im finding it hard to try and replicate exercises for the push and pull other than the weights machines. I have increased the weight and less reps to try build strength a little faster. I only need to hit 18 push ups on the day due to age/gender but how many a day do you reckon I should be doing to prep for it?

Im finding it hard to try and replicate exercises for the push and pull other than the weights machines. I have increased the weight and less reps to try build strength a little faster. I only need to hit 18 push ups on the day due to age/gender but how many a day do you reckon I should be doing to prep for it?

In regards to building muscle/strength, are you eating a good amount of protein per day? Usually 1 gram per pound of bodyweight or 0.8 grams per pound of bodyweight is a good amount to hit.

I'm about 160lb 5'11 male and eat around 160-200g per day the last few weeks. Very important when building muscle or strength.

Honestly, I would just either download an app (plenty on the app store) for push-up programs, sit up programs etc and follow that, or just make it up yourself, do 50 a day, next week increase it to 60, or start at 100 a day, increase to 110 the next week. Break them out over the day, do as many as you can in one go etc.

Importantly as long as you are doing something every week rather than nothing you should improve!! And then to supplement that if you have the time I suppose arm work (bicep curls, dips for triceps), chest (bench press, etc), shoulders/delts (lateral raises, dumbbell shoulder press), and ab work (planks, etc). All of that because muscles used in pushup are chest, abs, arms, shoulders

In regards to building muscle/strength, are you eating a good amount of protein per day? Usually 1 gram per pound of bodyweight or 0.8 grams per pound of bodyweight is a good amount to hit.

I'm about 160lb 5'11 male and eat around 160-200g per day the last few weeks. Very important when building muscle or strength.

Honestly, I would just either download an app (plenty on the app store) for push-up programs, sit up programs etc and follow that, or just make it up yourself, do 50 a day, next week increase it to 60, or start at 100 a day, increase to 110 the next week. Break them out over the day, do as many as you can in one go etc.

Importantly as long as you are doing something every week rather than nothing you should improve!! And then to supplement that if you have the time I suppose arm work (bicep curls, dips for triceps), chest (bench press, etc), shoulders/delts (lateral raises, dumbbell shoulder press), and ab work (planks, etc). All of that because muscles used in pushup are chest, abs, arms, shoulders

That's great advice! Thanks a lot. I am 5'3 and weigh 147lbs female and realise from your comments I am not eating nearly enough protein. I've been doing 5k every morning and doing my push ups and sit ups straight after. Then I do my weights in the evening with a little more cardio.

I will definitely up my daily push ups and sit ups and weights.

That's great advice! Thanks a lot. I am 5'3 and weigh 147lbs female and realise from your comments I am not eating nearly enough protein. I've been doing 5k every morning and doing my push ups and sit ups straight after. Then I do my weights in the evening with a little more cardio.

I will definitely up my daily push ups and sit ups and weights.

Definitely make sure you get 130-160g protein per day with your weight. I'd use myfitnesspal to track what your eating to make sure you hit the goals. Especially if you're doing alot of work like that!!

Also don't forget to drink plenty of water!!

Definitely make sure you get 130-160g protein per day with your weight. I'd use myfitnesspal to track what your eating to make sure you hit the goals. Especially if you're doing alot of work like that!!

Also don't forget to drink plenty of water!!

Thanks a lot :) I'll do that

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭droptheworld

Thanks a lot :) I'll do that

For the push pull try using the prowler in the gym pushing and pulling it towards you that’s what helped me a lot. Also doing lengths with the prowler if you can.

For the push pull try using the prowler in the gym pushing and pulling it towards you that’s what helped me a lot. Also doing lengths with the prowler if you can.

My gym has no prowler available unfortunately :(

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭droptheworld

My gym has no prowler available unfortunately :(

Ahh that’s a shame. Make sure you focus on building muscles in your legs as well as arms as you need it all for the push pull and upping weights by 2/5 kg every week.

• Advertisement

Ahh that’s a shame. Make sure you focus on building muscles in your legs as well as arms as you need it all for the push pull and upping weights by 2/5 kg every week.

I am soaking all this information up! 100% Will do. I know it'll be harder for me the push and pull as I am small and female but I'm working on it. Hill sprints will be done to build leg muscle too.

I am soaking all this information up! 100% Will do. I know it'll be harder for me the push and pull as I am small and female but I'm working on it. Hill sprints will be done to build leg muscle too.

Plenty of Squats, with good form will really help. Squats are a compound movement that hit so many muscles. And good for the core as-well if you have good form.

Plenty of Squats, with good form will really help. Squats are a compound movement that hit so many muscles. And good for the core as-well if you have good form.

I'd have good enough form. I will incorporate them too so.

Out of interest I am trying to figure out what level on the weight machine I should be using as they are only marked 1-upwards and not in lbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭OscarKilo

And if people are having a bit of trouble trying to shift the weight, I’ve been doing the Keto Diet the last few weeks also, and I’ve been able to move more weight as I’ve plateaued, I hope this helps

OscarKilo wrote: »
    And if people are having a bit of trouble trying to shift the weight, I’ve been doing the Keto Diet the last few weeks also, and I’ve been able to move more weight as I’ve plateaued, I hope this helps

This is beneficial yes, but anyone trying to shift weight needs to eat in a calorie deficit. This means eating less calories than your body is burning. There are some calculators online to work out your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure). Then its a matter of tracking calories with apps like MyFitnessPal and eating 200-600 less and the weight will come off.

If you went to a Dietitian I'm sure this will be part of the advice they give!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭5i6blrtngojxwf

Can vouch for that one, only recently started using the prowler but it’s the closest thing to the push pull I could get

• Advertisement

Can vouch for that one, only recently started using the prowler but it’s the closest thing to the push pull I could get

Its a bloody pain in the a@# I dont have one in my gym grrr. I'll just have to keep doing weights and push ups and squats etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Irishman87545

Its a bloody pain in the a@# I dont have one in my gym grrr. I'll just have to keep doing weights and push ups and squats etc.

Yeah any type of row would help,like seated row ,it's more about keeping the resistance for 20 secs ,which could be fairly hard especially after the 3 laps ,so listen out to the time your on after each lap and try not to blow out on the final one if you can afford to .

My original gym didn’t have it so I moved but it’s bloody expensive to do some bits! Guess replicating it as much as possible between rowing, chin ups, push ups, etc might help you? My last gym was all about that stuff and it might just be a roundabout way without the prowler?

My original gym didn’t have it so I moved but it’s bloody expensive to do some bits! Guess replicating it as much as possible between rowing, chin ups, push ups, etc might help you? My last gym was all about that stuff and it might just be a roundabout way without the prowler?

Prowler uses more of the legs for movement,where the push pull machine is pretty much a upper body movement

Prowler uses more of the legs for movement,where the push pull machine is pretty much a upper body movement

Guess that's why I'm going for AGS and not to be a personal trainer ;) Learn something new every day. Looked like a full body bollocking at the open day haha

• Advertisement

Guess that's why I'm going for AGS and not to be a personal trainer ;) Learn something new every day. Looked like a full body bollocking at the open day haha

:D haha Ya it did! The push and pull put the s'#ts up me anyway!

Ha yeah it look tough enough ,hard to say from my end cause I'm a big enough lad but I found it was more so catching your breath to get a good run at the push pull machine since 20 seconds feels forever after the circuit ha

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Roche2018

Hey there, how long after the open day would you get a date for the actual test? I imagine it would be in the following weeks and not ages after?
    Also finding the beep test tough at the mo, I probably need to be running at the higher speeds more instead of interval training at higher speeds? Any tips on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭want2b

Hi, can anyone tell me if you fail both parts of the pct can you repeat or are you failed completely, I know you can repeat one part but not sure about two parts
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭paddyCPW

Roche2018 wrote: »
    Hey there, how long after the open day would you get a date for the actual test? I imagine it would be in the following weeks and not ages after?
    Also finding the beep test tough at the mo, I probably need to be running at the higher speeds more instead of interval training at higher speeds? Any tips on that?

2 months for me

I had my open day 24th nov....still not pct date

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

Need to be running at least four days a week (once you've built up some running stamina). One or two of your running days should be hill sprints or get on the treadmill, set at least a 1% ( to 2.5%) incline and start knocking out 2:2, 3:3, or 4:4 intervals at speeds of 13 - 18kph for as many as you can. Initially you might only be able to manage something like 2 min at 11kph on a 1% incline and walking for 2min at no incline x 4. But eventually you will be knocking out more at higher speeds for longer.

Another thing I did was run L4 & L5, rest, L6 & L7, rest, L7 & L8, rest, L8 & L9 and repeat or various other combinations of intervals with those beep test levels.

I was doing this 2-3 days a week and a long slow run on day 4.

To improve your VO2max & to allow your body to make the adaptations the intervals need to be at least 2min long. I also set the treadmill speed to what felt like the same amount of effort it took to run my goal level of the beep test.

I noticed massive improvements in my beep test scores over a 2 - 4 week period doing the above. I wasn't starting from scratch though with this training but had plateaued on the beep and was struggling with the last two levels.

Best of luck with it!

P.S. One word of caution, I did go crazy at the start and was doing hill sprints and beep test every day and ended up tearing a muscle, so be careful about your training, especially if you are new to running or over 30.

Don't think there's much of a time frame to go by especially since I didn't even attend a open day and went straight into the fitness test ha .I'd definitely be training with the fact of getting anywhere from 2 weeks to a months notice
    But

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 andrewkiely

Anyone from Limerick fancy pairing up for some PCT Training?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Henry2006

I had my open day 24th nov....still not pct date

Did you get a date yet, when was your interview ?

• Advertisement

Henry2006 wrote: »
    Did you get a date yet, when was your interview ?

I just got my PCT date yesterday! Im up the 22nd Feb :eek::eek::eek:

Fantastic very best of luck. When was your interview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 andrewkiely

All the best! Havent got mine yet, so plenty training to do!

Fantastic very best of luck. When was your interview

My interview was the 17th Sept

My interview was the 17th Sept

Did they give any indication of why there was such a delay to your pct? You’ve a great chance for April, everything crossed for you

• Registered Users Posts: 14 EdvinasS

Guys focus on the Beep Test thats the hardest part in my opinion. The obstacle course and push and pull is really easy compared to the Beep Test. I got 2 minutes 21 seconds on the obstacle course at a steady pace. The push and pull i got 45 kg without even trying that hard. Once you pass the beep test and sit ups and push ups youll be flying and i wouldent consider myself to be fit at all

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Hendo98

I got my medical date. Anyone get theirs yet?

EdvinasS wrote: »
    Guys focus on the Beep Test thats the hardest part in my opinion. The obstacle course and push and pull is really easy compared to the Beep Test. I got 2 minutes 21 seconds on the obstacle course at a steady pace. The push and pull i got 45 kg without even trying that hard. Once you pass the beep test and sit ups and push ups youll be flying and i wouldent consider myself to be fit at all

Yeah beep test is all I've practiced for really, everything else seems standard enough. Have it set up and been doing it. Getting my score outside in the wind/rain so should be fine indoors if I pace myself!

Did they give any indication of why there was such a delay to your pct? You’ve a great chance for April, everything crossed for you

They gave me nothing! Thanks a mill. The nerves are kicking in a bit for the 22nd but fingers crossed ive done enough to pass it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 userunkown

Anyone who has done the physical, where did yous park?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Linenbasket

userunkown wrote: »
    Anyone who has done the physical, where did yous park?

Parked in the golf club car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Polly26

Hi just wondering were people waiting long between there fitness test and medical? That’s all I have left to complete, anyone else in same boat?

Polly26 wrote: »
    Hi just wondering were people waiting long between there fitness test and medical? That’s all I have left to complete, anyone else in same boat?

When did you have your PCT? People I've heard from who have had the PCT on the Friday received their medical date the following Tuesday for the following week. e.g. PCT 15th Feb...invite for medical 19th Feb..actual medical date 27th Feb

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Courtneycaseey

Hi anyone who did their medical last week or recently..
    Is there anything you need to bring or wear etc? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Joda96

Hi anyone who did their medical last week or recently..
    Is there anything you need to bring or wear etc? Thanks

Casual clothes and know your gp's info :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭OscarKilo

It’s looking like my place of work won’t realise me as I am on a night shift the day before the fitness, would Garda HR let me defer does anybody know? Or who is in the same boat as me?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Courtneycaseey

Joda96 wrote: »
    Casual clothes and know your gp's info :)

Thanks so much , is it straight forward enough?

Thanks so much , is it straight forward enough?

Yep handy enough! Urine test, height weight and a hearing test with the nurse, then up to the doctor for the eyesight and general check up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 userunkown

Joda96 wrote: »
    Yep handy enough! Urine test, height weight and a hearing test with the nurse, then up to the doctor for the eyesight and general check up :)

Roughly how long were you there for it?
    Thanks

userunkown wrote: »
    Roughly how long were you there for it?
    Thanks

Around an hour I think

• Advertisement
Advertisement