Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stage 4: Medical & Physical

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭OscarKilo

CZ 453 wrote: »
    So in the above case April 4th?

Judging how quick it’s been for me so far yea!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 G1raff3

Person3456 wrote:
    Just recieved the email about GP clearance due the 20th March. Anyone able to tell me roughly how long after that date will I be due for the fitness test/Medical?

There doesn't seem to be a normal waiting time between the GP form and physical. A few of us here sent back the form in early January and still no date for physical.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 EsmeW

Hi, does anyone know what happens if you’re sick/injured for the PCT? Is it possible to just call up and postpone it? My fear is that I’ll be waiting ages for new date. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭5i6blrtngojxwf

EsmeW wrote: »
    Hi, does anyone know what happens if you’re sick/injured for the PCT? Is it possible to just call up and postpone it? My fear is that I’ll be waiting ages for new date. Thanks

They seem to be fairly sound about it so might be waiting a couple of weeks to get another one.. 3 PCT days next week though so it's picking up in speed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Coolguy111

I unfortunately have to do medical again?

I don’t rememebr do they do drug tests on the day I know urine screening but is that a drug test? I may have had a few joints at a party recently enough just sketchy is all :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭FIVE.0

Coolguy111 wrote: »

I don’t rememebr do they do drug tests on the day I know urine screening but is that a drug test? I may have had a few joints at a party recently enough just sketchy is all :(

You’re going into the wrong job sir haha

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭want2b

Maybe you should reconsider your career opportunities, you would be a disgrace to the job if you get in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭bottar1

Guys. Username, and the ridiculous post and his post count is 1. We can safely say it's a troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Henry2006

bottar1 wrote: »
    Guys. Username, and the ridiculous post and his post count is 1. We can safely say it's a troll.

Just as well, imagine the likesof that patrolling our streets !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Gooch121

Hi folks,

Have medical is coming up soon, and I’m worrying about my blood pressure, having look at previous comments, it’s not as bad as 150/88 or that it’s like 140/85 first attempt and then 135/85 and then 121/70, just getting a bit nervous about the whole thing, anybody have any the same situation, any advice about the medical itself and what the staff are like, is greatly appreciated,

Gooch

• Advertisement

Gooch121 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Have medical is coming up soon, and I’m worrying about my blood pressure, having look at previous comments, it’s not as bad as 150/88 or that it’s like 140/85 first attempt and then 135/85 and then 121/70, just getting a bit nervous about the whole thing, anybody have any the same situation, any advice about the medical itself and what the staff are like, is greatly appreciated,

Gooch

If your BP is a little high on the day from what I've heard they will ask you to go back to your own doctor and get it checked / monitored and get a letter sent in. I know someone who had to do that and has now passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Polly26

bottar1 wrote: »
    If your BP is a little high on the day from what I've heard they will ask you to go back to your own doctor and get it checked / monitored and get a letter sent in. I know someone who had to do that and has now passed.

This also happened me. I suffer from “White Coat Hypertension” get nervous when I have to meet doctor etc.. once I’m at home it’s fine, I had to get monitor on and sent results then, I have since been deemed fit to progress..

Polly26 wrote: »
    This also happened me. I suffer from “White Coat Hypertension” get nervous when I have to meet doctor etc.. once I’m at home it’s fine, I had to get monitor on and sent results then, I have since been deemed fit to progress..

I see cheers for the reply, you too bothar1, did they just do one reading? What was your BP on the day if you don’t mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Polly26

I see cheers for the reply, you too bothar1, did they just do one reading? What was your BP on the day if you don’t mind me asking?

Oh I forget now off hand but it was like really high and when I returned home that pm was perfect again.. they will just request you to wear 24hr monitor and then send back up results.. it’s very common they told me on the day, and easy fixed, it would be worse if u had problem with vision or hearing, may not be able to be corrected..Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Bigred88

Howya lad . Another tip would be to avoid salt the day of nd day before. Salt increases blood pressure. I had a monster breakfast roll the morning of mine and the nurse/doctor who took my BP put it down to the salt . She took mine twice on the day . And took the lowest reading of the two . .

Bigred88 wrote: »
    Howya lad . Another tip would be to avoid salt the day of nd day before. Salt increases blood pressure. I had a monster breakfast roll the morning of mine and the nurse/doctor who took my BP put it down to the salt . She took mine twice on the day . And took the lowest reading of the two . .

Cheers for the reply bigred I greatly appreciate it! Can you remember what the results were?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Bigred88

Cheers for the reply bigred I greatly appreciate it! Can you remember what the results were?

No pal I did mine in 2016 .
    I remember her saying it was a little high and she checked it again . It was still a little high but she put it down to nerves and my salt intake.

No idea, did one take and mine was fine. Ever since I've gotten into running and upped my cardiovascular fitness my BP has always been in range or a little lower than the normal, so it was just fine.

But you should be fine, if you get a little high on the day they will probably do it again or ask your GP to send a letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mrletsdothis

I got a date for my PCT in two weeks.... still not hitting the standard for the beep test think it will take me another 4 weeks to get there. Anyone know if you contact them and ask to reschedule are they okay with that? Or is it a case of just going down and if you fail, then do the repeat? Just don’t want to spend hours driving down to waste time - I had a back injury and couldn’t run cause lower back pain.. only started back running again not long ago so catching up.

I got a date for my PCT in two weeks.... still not hitting the standard for the beep test think it will take me another 4 weeks to get there. Anyone know if you contact them and ask to reschedule are they okay with that? Or is it a case of just going down and if you fail, then do the repeat? Just don’t want to spend hours driving down to waste time - I had a back injury and couldn’t run cause lower back pain.. only started back running again not long ago so catching up.

If you have an injury you can defer no bother but I wouldn’t call them to say you’re not ready.. you could go up and find it’s not as bad as you though, even by passing the second stage and having it out of the way but they’ll defer for an injury anyway usually, not sure if it’s with or without a doctors note though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Smallboy

Silly question, thinking of having some pre workout before it. Would they consider that cheating or disallow it? I usually have some before the gym but would they see that as “performance enhancing”?

Smallboy wrote: »
    Silly question, thinking of having some pre workout before it. Would they consider that cheating or disallow it? I usually have some before the gym but would they see that as “performance enhancing”?

No... they would not...!! That's daft!

Take whatever you want that isn't illegal! I drank an energy drink and a half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 pubsize

I had my PCT last friday and I think a lot of people here are over thinking it. Stick to your usual routine, don't over think it and relax. Once you've put in a reasonable level of preparation you will be fine. The instructors are really helpful and really help to get you over the line.

Best of luck with it and as silly as it sounds try to enjoy the day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 andrewkiely

pubsize wrote: »
    I had my PCT last friday and I think a lot of people here are over thinking it. Stick to your usual routine, don't over think it and relax. Once you've put in a reasonable level of preparation you will be fine. The instructors are really helpful and really help to get you over the line.

Best of luck with it and as silly as it sounds try to enjoy the day :)

Solid advice! I’m struggling with push ups, I’m assuming all have to be done consecutively without leaving the push up position?

BMI 31.1, Deffered.....gutted all the same, my scales at home had me at at 86kg, only to be told I’m 90kg on the day, and then to find out my scales at home was broke! Fu*ck sake! Dust off and keep moving forward!

OscarKilo wrote: »
    BMI 31.1, Deffered.....gutted all the same, my scales at home had me at at 86kg, only to be told I’m 90kg on the day, and then to find out my scales at home was broke! Fu*ck sake! Dust off and keep moving forward!

Sorry to hear that!! Won’t take much to get over the line over the 3 months, you’ll be done in time for July :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭RabbitHeart18

At least it wasn't a straight fail. Try to keep the chin up and at least you haven't too far to go.

At least it wasn't a straight fail. Try to keep the chin up and at least you haven't too far to go.

Yeah cheers for the support! Greatly appreciated! I bought a proper scale yesterday that has the BMI built into it, and that said 90 so gonna work on that the next 12 week, lose hopefully 8/10Kg the next 12 weeks! :)

Yeah cheers for the support! Greatly appreciated! I bought a proper scale yesterday that has the BMI built into it, and that said 90 so gonna work on that the next 12 week, lose hopefully 8/10Kg the next 12 weeks! :)

Yeah it's hard work but definitely doable! You'll fly it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 andrewkiely

Yeah it's hard work but definitely doable! You'll fly it :)

Has to be under 30.0 is it?

Good luck Oscar, Great stuff with the deferral. As one of the lads said;
    Atleast it’s not a fail. You’ll be surprised with how far you can push yourself now knowing it’s for what you want.

And thanks to everyone who replied to my silly question about pre workout haha, I appreciate all the kind words.

Yeah under 30 I’m 31.1 to be precise ha

Yep under 30 I think but it's left very vague and so I think it can be down to the discretion of the doctor. So I wouldn't be getting 29.9 and counting on being safe if you know what I mean?

Yep under 30 I think but it's left very vague and so I think it can be down to the discretion of the doctor. So I wouldn't be getting 29.9 and counting on being safe if you know what I mean?

Yeah I think that too! Deffo yea!! Hahaha I’m aiming to get my BMI down past 27 or below if I can

Hi guys, quick question. I have my medical soon and am a little concerned about an aspect of it. The urine test. Don't worry, I've never touched drugs, it wouldn't be the job for me if I had haha. I get anxious when a doctor wants to look into stuff like that (bloods, heart pressure and urine testing) cause I do be so concerned of like the worst news possible. I know it's silly to be worried but I get so nervous of the possibility, I'd rather not know lmao.

What are they looking for in the urine test? Is it illnesses, lack of something like vitamins? Thanks so much :)

• Advertisement

Hi guys, quick question. I have my medical soon and am a little concerned about an aspect of it. The urine test. Don't worry, I've never touched drugs, it wouldn't be the job for me if I had haha. I get anxious when a doctor wants to look into stuff like that (bloods, heart pressure and urine testing) cause I do be so concerned of like the worst news possible. I know it's silly to be worried but I get so nervous of the possibility, I'd rather not know lmao.

What are they looking for in the urine test? Is it illnesses, lack of something like vitamins? Thanks so much :)

Don’t worry at all!! It’s just a standard clinical screen for proteins:glucose:albumuria i was worried about the BP

And my first reading was high, the nurse went ahead with my hearing and all that, she took it again it was coming down so she was happy with it.....the Dr seen that also, and took it again, they Where happy that it was coming down, so that was that! I wouldn’t worry, it’s a nice calm environment so! Hope it helps!

Don’t worry at all!! It’s just a standard clinical screen for proteins:glucose:albumuria i was worried about the BP

And my first reading was high, the nurse went ahead with my hearing and all that, she took it again it was coming down so she was happy with it.....the Dr seen that also, and took it again, they Where happy that it was coming down, so that was that! I wouldn’t worry, it’s a nice calm environment so! Hope it helps!

Thanks Oscar. Don't like the sound of that, I'm gonna swallow a kilo of coke and hope that comes up instead.

Haha I'm only joking lmao, thanks man. I did my physical yesterday and passed so am delighted! Thanks for always helping me out my man.

Thanks Oscar. Don't like the sound of that, I'm gonna swallow a kilo of coke and hope that comes up instead.

Haha I'm only joking lmao, thanks man. I did my physical yesterday and passed so am delighted! Thanks for always helping me out my man.

Hahaha ah you’ll be grand bud! No better feeling! One of the major hurdles! Ah pint of water before hand ya be grand! Deffered on the BMI so on the road to weight loss and it’s workin out! Roll on June!

Aprox how long were you waiting for a date for pct once you sent back form from doctor, do they give much notice ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Planes 1997

Henry2006 wrote: »
    Aprox how long were you waiting for a date for pct once you sent back form from doctor, do they give much notice ?

I was waiting around 3 weeks for a date and got an email Friday for the pct in 3 weeks time.

• Advertisement

I was waiting around 3 weeks for a date and got an email Friday for the pct in 3 weeks time.

Ok great, best of luck with it

Hi folks,

Just ah update on progress, as some of you may remember I got Deffered over BMI, my weight was 90.8 (13/3/19) just to let yous know it’s going in the right direction currently 84.3 which gives me a BMI of 29.1 I’m 5”7 my goal is 78.0 kg, just thought I’d let you folks
    Know! :)

OscarKilo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Hot_Fuzz

Hi folks,

Just ah update on progress, as some of you may remember I got Deffered over BMI, my weight was 90.8 (13/3/19) just to let yous know it’s going in the right direction currently 84.3 which gives me a BMI of 29.1 I’m 5”7 my goal is 78.0 kg, just thought I’d let you folks

OscarKilo!
    Excellent good job! :)

Hi folks,

OscarKilo!

Wow that’s a huge loss well done you must have been working really hard

Congrats Oscar!

I recently found out I passed my Medical and physical, simply just playing the waiting game now myself. I still haven't met my local Sergeant or Super which is unfortunate but I've waited long enough, now I've all the harder bits out of the way so I don't mind!

Henry2006 wrote: »
    Wow that’s a huge loss well done you must have been working really hard

It is! I’m delighted with my progress! I’ll be keeping it going, a lot of running 5 times a week, started from 30mins one week and building by 5mins each week! Starting 50min runs now today :)

Congrats Oscar!

I recently found out I passed my Medical and physical, simply just playing the waiting game now myself. I still haven't met my local Sergeant or Super which is unfortunate but I've waited long enough, now I've all the harder bits out of the way so I don't mind!

Cheers bro, ah I see I see! I had only met the sgt after my BMI defferal, and super just there a couple of days ago! Keep playing the waiting game! It’ll happen! What was your OOM?

It is! I’m delighted with my progress! I’ll be keeping it going, a lot of running 5 times a week, started from 30mins one week and building by 5mins each week! Starting 50min runs now today :)

That’s awesome

Cheers bro, ah I see I see! I had only met the sgt after my BMI defferal, and super just there a couple of days ago! Keep playing the waiting game! It’ll happen! What was your OOM?

Honestly, it was kinda high for how far I've gotten. It was in the mid 400's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Person3456

Anyone know for sure do females get the carry out the pushups on their knees? It shows the female participant doing this on the official fitness test video

• Advertisement
Advertisement