Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stage 4: Medical & Physical

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Henry2006

Person3456 wrote: »
    Anyone know for sure do females get the carry out the pushups on their knees? It shows the female participant doing this on the official fitness test video

Yes definitely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Does anyone have any first hand experience of getting a deferral of PCT on medical grounds? How did you go about it? Thanks

CZ 453 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any first hand experience of getting a deferral of PCT on medical grounds? How did you go about it? Thanks

Yes my daughter did and firstly you need a letter from your doctor stating why you are unfit and depending on the reason it can also say when you will be fit to participate, if it’s an injury such as a fracture, you will need a second letter from doctor stating you are now fit to participate, there was no problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Jake5991

Hey guys iv fitness test coming up in few weeks . Im a bit worried about the beep test im over thirty but iv been training a bit . Iv never done a beep test i know how you do it i just wondered what sort of running you would need to be doing for it sprints or long distance runs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 SimonDublin

Jake5991 wrote: »
    Hey guys iv fitness test coming up in few weeks . Im a bit worried about the beep test im over thirty but iv been training a bit . Iv never done a beep test i know how you do it i just wondered what sort of running you would need to be doing for it sprints or long distance runs ?

I think the best way is doing a beep test alongside your long distance run, this way it gives you more confidence and you know where you are at. may I add by doing a practise beep, you can learn to perfect your turns and familiarise each level and know how much effort to put in for each level.

I think the best way is doing a beep test alongside your long distance run, this way it gives you more confidence and you know where you are at. may I add by doing a practise beep, you can learn to perfect your turns and familiarise each level and know how much effort to put in for each level.

And how do you set up the area where you would do the run ? Just seems a bit awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 SimonDublin

Jake5991 wrote: »
    And how do you set up the area where you would do the run ? Just seems a bit awkward.

for me I do it in the gym. i used a measuring tape and measure 20m, download one of the beep test audio that's available and away you go. I failed the beep and currently awaiting the retest but I feel so much more confident now knowing I am achieving my personal best 8.7 (8.1 pass for my age)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 SrcmabdleGegs

If you're in Dublin, you can rent a sprint lane in the Indoor Arena (in behind the National Aquatic Center) for €7 an hour. It's not quite the same surface as in Templemore (wooden gym floor) but similar traction etc. Key thing is it's a similar temperature, running outside isn't the same. I'm 35 and nailed it in February without setting foot in a gym. It can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Person3456

(I feel like this has been asked already but I can’t for the life of me find it anywhere)
    Would somebody who’s completed the physical competence test recently be able to explain the layout of the day just to put my mind and rest. Are the pushups and sit-ups before or after the beep test and how much of a break in between everything, how long do we get to warm up and where do we warm up etc do we eat in between. thanks so much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 jwals2130

You will be divided in to groups of about 8 people, the bleep test is first and once the first group finish bleep they go to the next room for push ups sit up , u may be given about 10 mins between bleep test and them to get drink and fresh air .. once u finish that u have a 2 hour break until doing obstacle and push pull.. you will have time to do yuour own warm up before bleep test in the changing rooms or the hall.. you can eat during the break , i just had fulfill bar and kept hydrated.. the tests themselves are straight forward if you have a decent level of fitness

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Grod18

Hi All,

Can I ask if the medical and fitness are on two different dates, when do you do the medical?

Also does anyone know which one they check your BMI at, is it the medical or the fitness?

Meeting with the superintendent, has anyone completed this, and if so, what was it like, what did he ask etc?

Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Hot_Fuzz

Grod18 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Can I ask if the medical and fitness are on two different dates, when do you do the medical?

Also does anyone know which one they check your BMI at, is it the medical or the fitness?

Meeting with the superintendent, has anyone completed this, and if so, what was it like, what did he ask etc?

Thanks for your help.

Hey Grod! Physical first, usually Friday’s this time, followed by medical within about 10 days later where they do your BMI, etc.

You’ll me the sergeant then, followed by an inspector or a super. The sgt interview is fairly casual and the super interview is slightly more formal but they’re just making sure you’re of good character and that any local vetting questions are answered from your Form B. Hope this helps!

Hi There,

Thank you, that is very helpful.

Do you know if there is anyway of deferring the medical but not the fitness, BMI is a bit high at the moment and would need to get this lowered a bit.

Don't want to ruin such a great opportunity over BMI.

Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Hot_Fuzz

Hi There,

Thank you, that is very helpful.

Do you know if there is anyway of deferring the medical but not the fitness, BMI is a bit high at the moment and would need to get this lowered a bit.

Don't want to ruin such a great opportunity over BMI.

Thanks for your help.

You will need to be successful in the physical before being invited to medical and then if you have a decent reason they can give you the medical again but if you’re found to be over BMI of 30 on the day they’re defer you for about 30 months to lose the weight. If under 30 BMI you’re usually grand! Do you have dates for a physical yet?

Hi There,

No I have no date yet for the fitness test, I am at the stage where I am getting approval from the doctor to state I am fit enough to complete this test.

• Advertisement

Is there anything i need bring to medical ?

For anyone who has had the medical can you let me know what time it was at please?

Hi All,

If you fail your fitness test the first time, what happens? how long do you get deferred for? Will this hold you back long from getting accepted into Guarda College.

Thanks.

Hi All,

If you fail your fitness test the first time, what happens? how long do you get deferred for? Will this hold you back long from getting accepted into Guarda College.

Thanks.

My daughter had to wait 12 weeks, I think this is the norm

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Person3456

Anyone given any medical dates after the 29th or 30th of May?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Alan93

Person3456 wrote: »
    Anyone given any medical dates after the 29th or 30th of May?

I got the same dates e-mailed to me, pending on the outcome of my pct.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Roche2018

Hey
    Have a date for the medical and anyone that's done it if you have any info for the following :

Just wondering the time frame and layout of the day for it?
    How long does it take as travelling to Dublin? Anything specific to note for it?
    I presume we can just wear casual clothes like jeans and t-shirt?

Roche2018 wrote: »
    Hey
    Have a date for the medical and anyone that's done it if you have any info for the following :

How long does it take as travelling to Dublin? Anything specific to note for it?

Just over 2 hours for me, and jeans tshirt be fine

Roche2018 wrote: »
    Hey

Just over 2 hours for me, and jeans tshirt be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Stickynote10

OscarKilo wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Just ah update on progress, as some of you may remember I got Deffered over BMI, my weight was 90.8 (13/3/19) just to let yous know it’s going in the right direction currently 84.3 which gives me a BMI of 29.1 I’m 5”7 my goal is 78.0 kg, just thought I’d let you folks
    Know! :)

OscarKilo!

Hi Oscar,

Congratulations on your weight lose that is fantastic going, fair play to you.

Have you any tips on how to get the BMI down I’m definitely going to fail on it I’m approx 95kg and only 5’4 so that’s make it about 35.

Also my eyesight is quite poor so I also think I’ll fail on that too.

I know I can get my eyes fixed but I’m more worried about trying to get the weight down! Are they very strict on it?

I’ve my fitness in the next two weeks, which I’m hoping I’ll pass and then the medical, but I know for sure I’m going to fail that.

Any advice you may have would be great, Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭OscarKilo

Hi Oscar,

Have you any tips on how to get the BMI down I’m definitely going to fail on it I’m approx 95kg and only 5’4 so that’s make it about 35.

I know I can get my eyes fixed but I’m more worried about trying to get the weight down! Are they very strict on it?

I’ve my fitness in the next two weeks, which I’m hoping I’ll pass and then the medical, but I know for sure I’m going to fail that.

No hassle at all, sorry for the delay in reply, well my BMI starting was 31.4 and I weight 90.8kg and I’m 80! They are strict I have to say, I’m fairly broad, passed the fitness test

I done my own running plan from the day after the medical running 30mins 2 on 1 off 3 on 1 of and the following week 35, then 40 and so on, and my calorie is 1,600kcal and I’m broad, but start now and get a personal trainer, as I’m not one lol! I wish ya the best bud!

Oscar!

Folks down 9.7kg to 81.1kg which makes my BMI 28.0

For anybody who got deferred, would you recommend goin in 2/3 weeks before your assigned date to get it out of the day? I’ve 3 weeks and a couple of days left

Oscar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭bottar1

Hi Oscar,

The only way to get your weight down is to consume less calories then your body burns and your weight will fall. You can assist this with exercise to burn some more calories but ultimately it depends on what you eat.

Install an app like myfitnesspal and count every calorie you eat, you can scan barcodes etc, estimate for dinners and such, get a small weigh scales if you have to.

Work out how much your body burns using a TDEE calculator https://tdeecalculator.net/

Then set your calorie goal at-least 500 calories less than what your body is burning, you WILL lose weight if you are honest. And you can eat what you want as long as you are not going over your calorie limit, however I would advise avoiding addictive foods like sweets, etc, but ultimately if they are within your daily calories intake you could have some.

Ultimately if you don't lose weight with this method you are either failing to correctly and accurately count calories, or have over-estimated how much calories your body burns per day (watch out for fitness tracking apps, they usually over-estimate how much a run burns etc, always go with the lowest estimate). There is no excuse to not losing weight with this method (not to sound harsh, its simple maths, eat less calories than your body burns).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Jorsehai wrote: »
    Hi, just have a question regarding retests for the physical exam. Was anyone advised that they needed to confirm their retest with appointments? Received an email that told me I needed to give confirmation of my attendance by a particular date that had already passed at the time of receiving the email. Really afraid of what’s going to happen so if anyone can give me some advice I’d really appreciate it!

Have you rang them?

Quick question guys can you defer joining the guards for a year . Im currently on a work contract and if i want to leave my job il have to pay a substantial fee?
    So was just wondering if i was offered December of this year could i put it off till sometime in 2020

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 raftershellpen

Anyone know how long the PCT takes? I'm doing mine Tuesday, just wondering how long I'll be up there for

Anyone know how long the PCT takes? I'm doing mine Tuesday, just wondering how long I'll be up there for

Starts at 9.00 and finishes at 2.30 Aprox

• Registered Users Posts: 9 raftershellpen

Henry2006 wrote: »
    Starts at 9.00 and finishes at 2.30 Aprox

Cheers! Suffice to say I'm ****ting it! I've been training, just not feeling confident

Cheers! Suffice to say I'm ****ting it! I've been training, just not feeling confident

Try not to think too much about it and give it your all, very best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭james flanagan

We were scheduled for 9am and I didnt start the beep test till 11:00am and I done obstacle 3pm and there where still people waiting to do their obstacle so just prepare for a bit of waiting around.

Hi All, I’ve a question I passed the PCT about a week a go and now I have the medical
    In two weeks! I know I have to get laser eye surgery done which I think I’ll have done before the exam but my BMI is a little over the 30! Is it an automatic fail if your over the 30? Even if nothing else is wrong with you

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Bigred88

Hi All, I’ve a question I passed the PCT about a week a go and now I have the medical
    In two weeks! I know I have to get laser eye surgery done which I think I’ll have done before the exam but my BMI is a little over the 30! Is it an automatic fail if your over the 30? Even if nothing else is wrong with you

Lad it all depends on your shape . I’m big framed but not fat and my bmi is just over 30 . The nurse will make a call on it anyway. And if she’s not happy you’ll get 6 months I think to get it to within a reasonable margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Bigred88

From someone who has done this before it’s not as hard as you think it’s going be . Don’t let nerves get in the way .
    If you are ready believe you are ready and you will ace it

Passed the medical, with a BMI of 26.7! Having been deferred back in March, if I can do it! I swear anybody can do it!!

• Advertisement

OscarKilo wrote: »
    Passed the medical, with a BMI of 26.7! Having been deferred back in March, if I can do it! I swear anybody can do it!!

Delighted for you

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Markmac15

Hey when is the next intake after July I’m hearing October and December? Any truth in October ?
    Medical passed yesterday just waiting on my vetting to be cleared

Markmac15 wrote: »
    Hey when is the next intake after July I’m hearing October and December? Any truth in October ?
    Medical passed yesterday just waiting on my vetting to be cleared

There are 600 recruits this campaign in 3 groups of 200, April, July & December

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Keelster97

Just FYI for people July offers are out got mine today delighted.

Keelster97 wrote: »
    Just FYI for people July offers are out got mine today delighted.
    When did you do medical ?

Medical done on Wednesday the 29th of May

• Advertisement

Medical done on Wednesday the 29th of May

Well Done, god you got the offer very fast. I’ve my medical next week hope I get an offer as quick as you ðŸ˜

Cheers came as a shock alright but I've heard rumours that they're struggling to fill intakes so I'd say provided your medical goes well you'll hear something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Anyone who did a medical on the 30th or 31st of May hear anything since?

Cheers came as a shock alright but I've heard rumours that they're struggling to fill intakes so I'd say provided your medical goes well you'll hear something

I’m not confident at all for the medical, got laser surgery done but I’m a good be over on the BMI so I don’t think I’ll pass it!

Have medical this week? Very worried about it if I’m honest. Anyone got any tips of advise? Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
Advertisement