Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stage 4: Medical & Physical

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 beaker4133

Still waiting to meet the sergeant and super unfortunately! Hoping they get through the vetting asap...

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RedmondHR

Figured as much! Going to be a nervous wreck next week waiting for this call. Most likely get it 4 o clock Friday evening :p

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭MondeoMan92

RedmondHR wrote: »
    Figured as much! Going to be a nervous wreck next week waiting for this call. Most likely get it 4 o clock Friday evening :p

Gonna be keeping my phone on me 24/7. Hopefully they give me a call while im off or before work. Type up my resignation straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭caza182

I think it's an email rather than a call but I could be wrong! I've been refreshing mail nonstop haha,, anyone from the south east round here?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭df14

I'm off for 2 weeks from work on Thursday, back to hand in my notice hopefully ha

• Advertisement

df14 wrote: »
    I'm off for 2 weeks from work on Thursday, back to hand in my notice hopefully ha

Im off all this week. Having a fatty food and alcohol filled week. Then back to training when its done. 2 mcdonalds today so far...maybe a chinese later. Hopefulky we'll be in the same boat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Gnr_Iver

Remember lads that if you are successful there will be another fitness test in week 2 or 3. so id stay on top of the fitness while enjoying those lovely burgers and chips ha

Gnr_Iver wrote: »
    Remember lads that if you are successful there will be another fitness test in week 2 or 3. so id stay on top of the fitness while enjoying those lovely burgers and chips ha

Thats why im having a fat week. Get it out of my system for now:p

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭AudiKid

beaker4133 wrote: »
    Still waiting to meet the sergeant and super unfortunately! Hoping they get through the vetting asap...

My local sergeant phoned me today, and because of work etc. It won't be until next week that I meet him, and the Super.

He emphasised that the Super meeting is formal so I'll have my interview suit ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Super B

The thoughts of having to do the fitness test again. Is it the exact same one again, where did it say we will be re tested?

• Advertisement

Super B wrote: »
    The thoughts of having to do the fitness test again. Is it the exact same one again, where did it say we will be re tested?

Are you refering to a retest to gain entry to the college or the retest after we do induction week? Of it's the first one then HR contact you to see when you're available. If it's the second one than about 3 weeks after we start

im not actually too worried about maintaining my fitness at the moment because I know once we get down there there's so many fitness classes, pe, the gym etc...there's not a whole pile to do down there unless your drinking so a lot of the spare time will end up going toward fitness!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Super B

Are you refering to a retest to gain entry to the college or the retest after we do induction week? Of it's the first one then HR contact you to see when you're available. If it's the second one than about 3 weeks after we start

Retest after induction, not too concerned about it as we have 6 weeks and have been maintaining fitness. Just wasn't aware of it til I read it here.

Super B wrote: »
    Retest after induction, not too concerned about it as we have 6 weeks and have been maintaining fitness. Just wasn't aware of it til I read it here.

Plenty of time. Im binging this week to get it out of my system and then its back to training. As Caza182 said, once your down there you're not gonna have alot to do except study and excercise and a bit of drinking so we'll be grand. Think they retest you 2 or 3 times

once I get the official email with a start date that's when I'll start to panic about letting the fitness go down the drain haha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭danjob1987

Great to be finally in this thread, time to start upping my training game!!

danjob1987 wrote: »
    Great to be finally in this thread, time to start upping my training game!!

Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭VW73

Hey guys, passed interview today, just wondering what's the next stage for us? will read this thread fully tomorrow thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 21 FN2187

VW73 wrote: »
    Hey guys, passed interview today, just wondering what's the next stage for us? will read this thread fully tomorrow thanks

well for me anyway, HQ were in touch with a date for an open day in Templemore, then the medical and then PCT. I know a few others this in a slightly different order. Keep an eye on your email.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭VW73

FN2187 wrote: »
    VW73 wrote: »

well for me anyway, HQ were in touch with a date for an open day in Templemore, then the medical and then PCT. I know a few others this in a slightly different order. Keep an eye on your email.

Thanks a million, it's more the open day i was wondering about as for the PCT, would love a look just to know what to expect, def will watch the emails thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Coffeeguzzler

For anyone who has done the medical and has any information, I'd really appreciate clearing up some queries?

Do they actually check your teeth or just ask if you need any work done?
    Did they check over your skin?

Or is it just urine test, eye and hearing test, breath test?

Any more info is welcome, I read through the thread but these aren't answered specifically.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Grysa

Hi all, found out that i passed my interview yesterday. really delighted with he result as i though i could've done way better. go into the 500s. I am wondering if anyone knows how long is the process now? what would be rough estimate between results for interview and the intakes? how long would the wait be considering that medical and physical is passed? I have accepted my college offer for an addon year and I am not sure what to do..if I should leave it or go to it..
    Any help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 craichoor

For anyone who has done the medical and has any information, I'd really appreciate clearing up some queries?

Any more info is welcome, I read through the thread but these aren't answered specifically.

They did not check my teeth nor did they ask if I need work done. (I do)

The receptionist gave me a form to fill in when I arrived. It asked a load of questions about medical history. (The questions were grouped into different parts of your body, heart, kidneys, diabetes, stomach, skin etc.)

The nurse took my urine sample, did the peak flow breath test, took blood pressure, measured my height and measured my weight (the weighing scales was fancy and it gave a BMI reading and Body Fat percentage reading) and she did the hearing test.

The doctor had do the vision test (it's a machine, not a chart on a wall), she then made me take my top off, took my blood pressure, checked my breathing with stethoscope, checked my stomach, checked for hernias, asked questions about the form, asked if I ever had broken bones, had me perform flexibility tests (touch my toes, bend backwards, twist torso to sides.) Then she told me I passed and to go ask the Receptionist about the Physical Competency Test.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Coffeeguzzler

You're a star, thanks a million. I've a touch of viltiligo on my leg and i'm wondering if that will effect my result in any way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

Anyone worried about the medical should really take a read of the word document on this page:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/national-recruitment-standards-medical-standards-for-police-recruitment

It's for the UK but it goes into several medical conditions, what would be an outright no and what conditions would give you some wiggle room and on what grounds.

As well as garda.ie - naturally! But since there is no such publication in Ireland I'd imagine occupational health operate on much the same basis.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/100695/621216.doc

-I think that's a link to the word document. But worth a read to put your mind at ease!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 61_Eh123

Did anyone get their physical date who done their medical last Thursday?

61_Eh123 wrote: »
    Did anyone get their physical date who done their medical last Thursday?

A word of advice for the physical. I had 4 days notice to attend my PCT. Did my medical on a monday and they rang me on tuesday asking me to go down saturday. Most get a bit more notice but just be prepared for short notice

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Laffs_a_lot

The doctor checked my teeth and my gums with a torch, quite quickly though. She asked do I have any skin problems or is there any history of it in my family.
    All the rest was as craichoor described.

Good luck with your medical!

A word of advice for the physical. I had 4 days notice to attend my PCT. Did my medical on a monday and they rang me on tuesday asking me to go down saturday. Most get a bit more notice but just be prepared for short notice

You were obviously well prepared for the fitness test well in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Gem1994

Hey got my interview results yesterday and started training for the physical . Im wondering if anybody can clear this up for me . Do girls have to do the push ups on their feet or on their knees ?

Gem1994 wrote: »
    Hey got my interview results yesterday and started training for the physical . Im wondering if anybody can clear this up for me . Do girls have to do the push ups on their feet or on their knees ?

Congrads! Knee push, should be invited down for a open day soon, they will explain everything there. Just practice in the mean time!

RedmondHR wrote: »
    Congrads! Knee push, should be invited down for a open day soon, they will explain everything there. Just practice in the mean time!

Thanks . Abso delighted and shocked was not expecting it . Im quite fit anyway and could prob do them on feet. Running gets me the most tho more a weights girl :)

AudiKid wrote: »
    You were obviously well prepared for the fitness test well in advance!

Started preping from after the interview and then got very strict with diet and cardio once I got the results from the interview. Lucky enough😅

Can anybody recommend the best bleep test app for training ? Thanks

Cant think of the name. Its the one with the lil blue running man. Thats the one the instructors told us to use on the open day. Its the loughborough bleep test

• Advertisement

loughborough beep test

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Horza

How long did people have to wait for the results of their interview and the length of time after that for their medical date?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 CW95

Does anyone know if there's a colour blindness test in the medical? Have a slight red-green defect myself don't know if anyone else is in the same boat? Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 beaker4133

CW95 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there's a colour blindness test in the medical? Have a slight red-green defect myself don't know if anyone else is in the same boat? Cheers

Yeah there's a colour blind test in the medical alright

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Wax100

A bit worried about my medical, broke my leg a few years ago but it's 100% now, fully flexible and no joint problems, can anybody give me any info on this? Thanks guys.

• Advertisement

A bit worried about my medical, broke my leg a few years ago but it's 100% now, fully flexible and no joint problems, can anybody give me any info on this? Thanks guys.

Dont worry about it. I had keyhole surgery after a sports injury on my leg and nothing was said. Once healing is 100% i doubt there would be a problem

Dont worry about it. I had keyhole surgery after a sports injury on my leg and nothing was said. Once healing is 100% i doubt there would be a problem

Thanks mondeo man! Appreciate the reply dude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Hi lads

I have a touch of varicose veins on my right leg , they are quite noticeable

Would. This be an issue ?

Thanks
    Stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 40 61_Eh123

Canyon86 wrote: »
    Hi lads

Thanks
    Stephen
    Nah I don't think so... My legs were not checked... Don't stress over the medical it's not as bad as its made out to be.

Hi all,anyone have any idea of how long they had to wait for the results of their interview and the length of time after that for their medical date?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭VicMack

Horza wrote: »
    Hi all,anyone have any idea of how long they had to wait for the results of their interview and the length of time after that for their medical date?

It is usually 2/3 weeks for the medical date depending on your OOM of interview result.

VicMack wrote: »
    It is usually 2/3 weeks for the medical date depending on your OOM of interview result.

Thanks for that Vic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

Canyon86 wrote: »
    Hi lads

Thanks
    Stephen

No one looked at my legs or those of the lads I went through with, so if they don't ask/look and you haven't officially been diagnosed by a doctor you should be alright. Otherwise it'll be up to the doctor on the day because varicose veins could rule you out of the competition. It's one of the conditions that will be exacerbated by standing for 60hours a week.

I can't find the 2016 material at the minute but the 2014 campaign material says:

Any of the following examples of medical conditions may be a bar to passing the medical examination:

1. Obesity
    (applicants must comply with the relevant height/weight guidelines)
    2. Defective Vision
    (the vision standard required of a Garda Trainee is not less than 6/18, 6/18
    (correctable to 6/9, 6/12) unaided by glasses or contact lenses, with normal
    colour vision)
    3. Varicose veins
    4. Albumenuria
    5. Dental Caries
    6. Defective Hearing
    7. Hypertension, etc.

Best of luck with it.

Edited: to say I agree with 61_Eh123 - it's not as bad as it's made out to be. They're trying to pass people and you should be A-okay!

• Advertisement
Advertisement