Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stage 4: Medical & Physical

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 brandon12345

Ruairi93 wrote: »
    did u get any sort of discount with medical insurance?

I didn't because I don't have any but I know you do get a discount if you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Fabio_1988

Yeah I mean it's only painful for a few days and then it's gone and you do get excited to go out and look at stuff to see if it improved every day. Not sure if I had nicer glasses but you get sick of people saying to you more often than not "Oh but sure the glasses suited you" 😂

Ha yeah I’d say that gets old fairly quickly! My favourite line from people lately is “Are ya sure you need laser surgery? I know lots of guards with glasses”.... it’s costing nearly 4 grand of course I’m fecking sure :D

• Registered Users Posts: 48 userunkown

Price optilase in the north. Can work out cheaper...

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭deiseman17

Is it mandatory to go to the open day and would it look like you are disinterested if you didn't go?

Is it mandatory to go to the open day and would it look like you are disinterested if you didn't go?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Rparker17

deiseman17 wrote: »
    Not mandatory nor really worth it. No one will know if you attended or not. It’s only a sign in at the Gates. I wouldn’t be rushing up if I was you lad

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭stiimpreza1984

It is not mandatory as far as I know. No names were taken in mine and no names were taken on other open days also.

It gives you a taste of what's to come though and I think it's good to go see it at least.

It is not mandatory as far as I know. No names were taken in mine and no names were taken on other open days also.

It gives you a taste of what's to come though and I think it's good to go see it at least.

I went to it this morning just to have a look and feel for the place. They did take names though today and asked for ID. Good to get a feel for the push pull. I think women with lack of height will struggle on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Ldaw96

Fabio_1988 wrote: »
    Great to hear a good news story about it! Getting LASEK done next week... just getting a bit nervous about it! Also great to hear you say it’s the best money you ever spent considering how expensive it is :) glad it worked out for ya anyway

I assume you’re doing it for the guards? And if so, PRK is the only one thing accept I’ve been told. Look into that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

Ldaw96 wrote: »
    Fabio_1988 wrote: »
    Great to hear a good news story about it! Getting LASEK done next week... just getting a bit nervous about it! Also great to hear you say it’s the best money you ever spent considering how expensive it is :) glad it worked out for ya anyway

I assume you’re doing it for the guards? And if so, PRK is the only one thing accept I’ve been told. Look into that.

No, Lasek is fine too. Lasik is not advised because of the flap and the potential for facial trauma.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 shane1983

Elliot192 wrote: »
    No, Lasek is fine too. Lasik is not advised because of the flap and the potential for facial trauma.

I had lasek 8 years ago to join the reserves. It’s fine and acceptable to them. I heard the same horror story that they won’t accept it. Not true. I was fine and they just asked for a letter from optical express with my new prescription in it post op.

I went to it this morning just to have a look and feel for the place. They did take names though today and asked for ID. Good to get a feel for the push pull. I think women with lack of height will struggle on it.

Yes unfortunately I've seen a couple of women fail it when I done my PCT.

From what i gathered they do want you to pass, giving you % off for doing well in the obstacle course to go into the push pull. A few people got a fright with the beep test we had to run up to level 5.

From what i gathered they do want you to pass, giving you % off for doing well in the obstacle course to go into the push pull. A few people got a fright with the beep test we had to run up to level 5.

Yeah true to be fair. The beep test can be horrible for some people but just need to practice and practice it and it does get easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Rover1928

Got called for PCT this morning for two weeks time. Still recovering from a broken bone in my foot and won't be ready. Anyone any advice before i ring up to defer. I've asked here before but do you only lose a 'Life' if you fail one of the tests. Just want to make sure i'm not losing a life by deferring. Don't think i'll be looking at running/jogging until June at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Hhxxsteph

Got date for PCT today for may medical done in January

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

Rover1928 wrote: »
    Got called for PCT this morning for two weeks time. Still recovering from a broken bone in my foot and won't be ready. Anyone any advice before i ring up to defer. I've asked here before but do you only lose a 'Life' if you fail one of the tests. Just want to make sure i'm not losing a life by deferring. Don't think i'll be looking at running/jogging until June at least.

You have to get a letter from your GP stating what the problem is, treatment involved and expected recovery timeframe. Then another letter when you are fit to go. You scan and email it in to them. No 'life' lost. You only lose one of your two 'lives' when you fail to pass. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭vardy98

Could someone please give me the email address I could use to contact hrm and see what stage my vetting is at. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Rparker17

vardy98 wrote: »
    Could someone please give me the email address I could use to contact hrm and see what stage my vetting is at. Thanks.

appointments@garda.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Ldaw96

Hhxxsteph wrote: »

What date?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Hhxxsteph

What date?

12 th of may

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭SO7378

Hi all so i did my medical on the 1st feb just today got a physical date whuch is 3 weeks from now.. its the 12th of may.

Still havent DONE any local meetings. So i dont know whats going on there, i see some people have got the same date as me, so i guess the ball is rolling a bit again so good luck to you all!

For any of you that are waiting you know by now what the system is like (very slow) so just keep waiting it out, and hang in there, dont give up.. i would say if your serious about it then do some running and training etc each week it doesnt have to be an athlete or some body builder standards lol but everything helps then after a few weeks youll get to a comfortable level with your strength, cardio etc.

After my physical il answer any questions if anyone needs a hand or wants to know anything.

Hang in there!

What date?

Mee too same date

Hhxxsteph wrote: »

Same the 12th

• Registered Users Posts: 10 amandapanda

I got my date for the physical on the 12th of May too...worrying about the runs

I got my date for the physical on the 12th of May too...worrying about the runs

Me too i do alot of running but idk my mind keeps worrying about different parts of it at different times

Do many do the shuttle runs together..what time have you go be in templemore for?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭cheallaigheoin

Is there anyone here who has a pct date in the coming weeks who knows that their vetting is fully cleared? Or does the vetting keep going on even after the pct? Thanks.

Do many do the shuttle runs together..what time have you go be in templemore for?

I think they do it in groups of like 5 or a couple anyway.

Ive to be there at 9am and you?

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm the same in for 9am 🙉

Advertisement