Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stage 4: Medical & Physical

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭SO7378

Yeah I'm the same in for 9am 🙉

How are you set for it? Its nerve wrecking

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Sue93

SO7378 wrote: »
    How are you set for it? Its nerve wrecking

I did it a few weeks ago. Youll be spilt into groups of around 8 and youll do the bleep test with them. When group A finish the bleep test group B will go next and group A will do the push up and sit ups and group C run when group B do the push ups ect! I was really nervous but it wasnt too bad just focus on yourself domt get distracted by others during the bleep test! I was finished at 12.30

Sue93 wrote: »
    I did it a few weeks ago. Youll be spilt into groups of around 8 and youll do the bleep test with them. When group A finish the bleep test group B will go next and group A will do the push up and sit ups and group C run when group B do the push ups ect! I was really nervous but it wasnt too bad just focus on yourself domt get distracted by others during the bleep test! I was finished at 12.30

Thanks for that! Just wondering what category in the bleep you did? 8.8? How did you find it? I havent practiced doing exactly the bleep but i do ALOT of running every week and the instructor said just keep that up.. also the push pull how was that?

Thanks for that! Just wondering what category in the bleep you did? 8.8? How did you find it? I havent practiced doing exactly the bleep but i do ALOT of running every week and the instructor said just keep that up.. also the push pull how was that?

No im a female so i only had to get to 7.7 def keep up the running i would recommend practicing the test once or twice before u go down just to get the feel for it. The push pull was tough enough you do it straight after the obstical course so your bet but i just gave it everything i say i looked like a mad woman ha!! Just give it everything and use your whole body not just your arms! A few girls failed the day i did it not sure if any males failed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭AniaSz

Got date for pct today for 12th of may
    Medical 1st of feb . Met srg yesterday

• Advertisement

No im a female so i only had to get to 7.7 def keep up the running i would recommend practicing the test once or twice before u go down just to get the feel for it. The push pull was tough enough you do it straight after the obstical course so your bet but i just gave it everything i say i looked like a mad woman ha!! Just give it everything and use your whole body not just your arms! A few girls failed the day i did it not sure if any males failed!!

How did you find the 7.7? Im used to doing between 10k and 15k like 2 or 3 times a week so i hope that will help.. i just like the running anyway haha!
    Aw yeah we will all look mad hahah!
    Yeh hopefully should be ok.. they keep saying if your taller it helps? I think im grand though

How did you find the 7.7? Im used to doing between 10k and 15k like 2 or 3 times a week so i hope that will help.. i just like the running anyway haha!
    Aw yeah we will all look mad hahah!
    Yeh hopefully should be ok.. they keep saying if your taller it helps? I think im grand though

I found it ok i had practised it a good bit before hand! Youll smash it if you like running i would be active but i wouldnt be a great runner so you'll definitely be ok!! I'm 5ft 8 so i am tall enough, but the girl before me was tiny and she flew it! Just focus on you! I noticed alot of people loosing motivation when the person next to them dropped out. What level do you have to get too on the bleep test?? And the sit ups and push ups are grand they are very fair on them!

I found it ok i had practised it a good bit before hand! Youll smash it if you like running i would be active but i wouldnt be a great runner so you'll definitely be ok!! I'm 5ft 8 so i am tall enough, but the girl before me was tiny and she flew it! Just focus on you! I noticed alot of people loosing motivation when the person next to them dropped out. What level do you have to get too on the bleep test?? And the sit ups and push ups are grand they are very fair on them!

Yeah i do really like the running hahah, fairplay, so are you waiting to be signed off by management now or what did they say?
    Yeah im 5"10 , i have to get to 8.8 unfortunatley, we got to try up to 4.5 on the open day and t was grand.. was it really fast paced for your last level? Do they just call your name and tell you stop?yeah ive no problem with them or the obsticle course just little on edge as they said the bleep knocks atleast 50% out so yeah

Yeah i do really like the running hahah, fairplay, so are you waiting to be signed off by management now or what did they say?
    Yeah im 5"10 , i have to get to 8.8 unfortunatley, we got to try up to 4.5 on the open day and t was grand.. was it really fast paced for your last level? Do they just call your name and tell you stop?yeah ive no problem with them or the obsticle course just little on edge as they said the bleep knocks atleast 50% out so yeah

Youll be grand! It speed up a good bit bit it was ok it wasnt like sprinting speed and u only have to touch the line with one foot so that makes a hugh differance. They stood at the bottom of where i was running and called me out once i got to the level i needed to get too. Wr had a hugh break between the bleep test and the obstical course, i had close to 2 hours between them! Im still waiting on my vetting to be cleared hopefully itll clear before the next intake

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭deiseman17

I met the Sergeant and Super this morning, they said they will send my file off then to HQ. I presume i should hear about a medical now in the next few weeks or is that wishful thinking?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Rparker17

deiseman17 wrote: »
    I met the Sergeant and Super this morning, they said they will send my file off then to HQ. I presume i should hear about a medical now in the next few weeks or is that wishful thinking?

Met mine the start of March and still waiting. All depends what stage of vetting you’re at id imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭droptheworld

Had my medical two weeks ago but I’m deferred until I get laser eye surgery. Meeting the super tomorrow. Anyone know what to expect? Is it questions about my application? Should I dress like the interview? Bit nervous!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ladybosskerry

from looking back on the thread here it seems that people from medicals dating late jan to the first week in feb are getting called for physicals mine was the 7th of feb so hopefully will be called soon... such a long wait

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭cheallaigheoin

vardy98 wrote: »
    Could someone please give me the email address I could use to contact hrm and see what stage my vetting is at. Thanks.

Did you find out anything about your vetting? It takes ages to clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭vardy98

Did you find out anything about your vetting? It takes ages to clear.[/quote]

No not really they emailed me back and all they told me was vetting takes a long time and that it is done by dofferent departments. But hopfully it won't take too long, I have an uncle in London, so that might be slowing it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭FIVE.0

Hi guys!
    To anyone who has completed their PCT... how long did it take? I have to be there for 9am so what time do you think I will be out at?
    Also, the repeat, if I fail when do I expect to get another date? A few weeks, or a few months?
    And finally, if you fail two parts can you repeat the whole thing? Or can you only fail one part to be eligible to repeat. Thinking worse case scenario here.
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

FIVE.0 wrote: »
    Hi guys!
    To anyone who has completed their PCT... how long did it take? I have to be there for 9am so what time do you think I will be out at?
    Also, the repeat, if I fail when do I expect to get another date? A few weeks, or a few months?
    And finally, if you fail two parts can you repeat the whole thing? Or can you only fail one part to be eligible to repeat. Thinking worse case scenario here.
    Thanks in advance

It kind of depends on how many turn up, how many are repeats and which group of 8 you are in. Should be out by 12:30.

It's three months between test and retest.

Haven't met anyone personally who has failed both sections but from chatting to people at the PCT it is possible to repeat both.

Best of luck! Take your time on Levels 1 - 3 of the beep. Don't race ahead. And use your legs/stance to generate more force on the push pull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Kh90

Hi guys!
    Thanks in advance

You will probably be done by lunchtime but depends on what your group your in and how quick they move. I think they say it’s about 3 months before you get a repeat. It is split in to two parts A) beep test, push ups and sit ups B) obstacle course and push and pull machine test if you fail one part in either you have to repeat that stage, hope that makes sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭FIVE.0

Thanks for the sound advise. One more thing. Between the bleep and the push-up/sit ups, do you get a breather at all? Like to have a drink of water and catch your breath, or it is no messing about straight into them and that's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Kh90

Thanks for the sound advise. One more thing. Between the bleep and the push-up/sit ups, do you get a breather at all? Like to have a drink of water and catch your breath, or it is no messing about straight into them and that's it.

Ya you will the group after you goes in to do their beep test and when there done you then do your sit ups and push ups so there’s around 10mins break. Good luck with it anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Crowlers

Had my medical two weeks ago but I’m deferred until I get laser eye surgery. Meeting the super tomorrow. Anyone know what to expect? Is it questions about my application? Should I dress like the interview? Bit nervous!

How bad are your eyes? Do you wear glasses? What prescription do you have for your eyes? I’m worried about the eye test

• Registered Users Posts: 39 brandon12345

Crowlers wrote: »
    How bad are your eyes? Do you wear glasses? What prescription do you have for your eyes? I’m worried about the eye test

If you have anything worse than about -2.0 then you'll need surgery more than likely

If you have anything worse than about -2.0 then you'll need surgery more than likely

Did you have glasses with you? What are your eyes at ?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 brandon12345

Did you have glasses with you? What are your eyes at ?

Yeah I did have glasses with me, actually the doc was gonna fail me outright on my eyes until he saw how good my vision was with my glasses on. My eyes were at -2.25. They are now perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭droptheworld

My eyes are -2 literally the doctor said I should’ve got laser before I came. Yeah you need to bring your glasses with you.

Yeah I did have glasses with me, actually the doc was gonna fail me outright on my eyes until he saw how good my vision was with my glasses on. My eyes were at -2.25. They are now perfect.

How did you get on were you deferred or did you pass?? Mine are -1.50 is that worse ?

My eyes are -2 literally the doctor said I should’ve got laser before I came. Yeah you need to bring your glasses with you.

Mine are -1.50 is that weaker?? I’ll bring mine with me see what happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

Mine are -1.50 is that weaker?? I’ll bring mine with me see what happens

No, that's better than -2. There's no way to tell though til you get your eyes tested. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Villa93

Anyone know if it’s true that they check your teeth during the medical? Heard a rumor that if you need fillings or anything like that you can be deferred until you get them sorted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Ldaw96

Villa93 wrote: »
    Anyone know if it’s true that they check your teeth during the medical? Heard a rumor that if you need fillings or anything like that you can be deferred until you get them sorted

Hahahahaha no that’s not true

Advertisement