Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stage 4: Medical & Physical

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 CheekJones

Villa93 wrote: »
    Anyone know if it’s true that they check your teeth during the medical? Heard a rumor that if you need fillings or anything like that you can be deferred until you get them sorted

Heard that too but they didn't check mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 brandon12345

Crowlers wrote: »
    How did you get on were you deferred or did you pass?? Mine are -1.50 is that worse ?

I was deferred with a pass but I'm past the 6 weeks recovery now

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭SO7378

Oh not so bad ! Did they give you 5 mins between the sit ups etc after the bleep? And Roughly how long did it take you to get to 7.7? Yeah same well if we pass this the next intake is october ish so that gives them a few months and i dont see why not

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Crowlers

I was deferred with a pass but I'm past the 6 weeks recovery now

It’s 6 weeks to recover from lasik? My medical should be coming up around June so I’m just going to go for it and see what happens, nervous about it but sure we will see ha

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Crowlers

Elliot192 wrote: »
    No, that's better than -2. There's no way to tell though til you get your eyes tested. Best of luck!

Thanks very nervous about it, specsavers said I should pass with it corrected with glasses but time will tell when I go to do it.

• Advertisement

Crowlers wrote: »
    It’s 6 weeks to recover from lasik? My medical should be coming up around June so I’m just going to go for it and see what happens, nervous about it but sure we will see ha

For lasik it's 3 days recovery. For PRK lasek which is the one you have to get, it's really around 3 weeks to a month but the guards set it at 6 weeks to be sure. Lasik is the procedure where they create a flap and laser underneath. Lasek is where they remove the top layer of your eye and laser underneath. You will have to get lasek regardless due to the nature of the work carried out by the garda. with lasik a belt in the wrong place and the flap might dislodge

Just got date for pct on the 19th of May. Delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭cheallaigheoin

Just got date for pct on the 19th of May. Delighted.

Savage!! When did you do your medical?

Savage!! When did you do your medical?

The 18th of January I think

• Registered Users Posts: 31 redpuma

Did anyone who was scheduled for the PCT for the 12th of May get a second email saying the 19th?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 DWD95

Got my date for my fitness test, May 19th! Has anyone here used an app for practising the bleep test? There's loads but not sure which one is best. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MC1408

DWD95 wrote: »
    Got my date for my fitness test, May 19th! Has anyone here used an app for practising the bleep test? There's loads but not sure which one is best. Thanks

What OOM did Ye have just out of curiosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 CheekJones

DWD95 wrote: »

I practiced with an mp3 file I downloaded here https://www.topendsports.com/newsletter/download-beeptest.htm

It's not the same one used on the day but I passed no problem. They all seem similar enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 KaC1994

I have my medical in the morning. My BMI is 30.5. I’m short ( 5’2) but I’m not overweight, I’m quite muscly as I play GAA and train 4 times a week. Will they fail me? Does anyone who has done the medical know? Like are they strict on it or will they take my muscle mass into consideration? I’m freaking out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

KaC1994 wrote: »
    I have my medical in the morning. My BMI is 30.5. I’m short ( 5’2) but I’m not overweight, I’m quite muscly as I play GAA and train 4 times a week. Will they fail me? Does anyone who has done the medical know? Like are they strict on it or will they take my muscle mass into consideration? I’m freaking out.

Don't eat or drink before going in and wear the lightest possible clothing. Maybe their scales will be different from yours? Otherwise you will be given three months to get your BMI down.

Don't eat or drink before going in and wear the lightest possible clothing. Maybe their scales will be different from yours? Otherwise you will be given three months to get your BMI down.

So they’ll fail me? Don’t take anything into consideration?

It's a deferral rather than a fail but yes, there's no caliper test/body fat or anything like that as far as I know.

It's a deferral rather than a fail but yes, there's no caliper test/body fat or anything like that as far as I know.

And if you drop the muscle weight quickly maybe you can write to occupational health and get another medical sooner? Three months could still get you in for October if there's no hold up with your vetting. Best of luck and I really hope your scales are out and you get a pass!

And if you drop the muscle weight quickly maybe you can write to occupational health and get another medical sooner? Three months could still get you in for October if there's no hold up with your vetting. Best of luck and I really hope your scales are out and you get a pass!

Thanks very much! If you don’t mind me asking, have you had a similar problem or how do you know they wouldn’t allow any exceptions?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭cheallaigheoin

Thanks very much! If you don’t mind me asking, have you had a similar problem or how do you know they wouldn’t allow any exceptions?

Below bmi 25 is a straight pass,
    Between 25 and 30 is body fat test,
    Between 30 and 35 is a deferral,
    Over 35 is a fail.
    Hope this helps and good luck with it.

• Advertisement

Over 35 is a fail.

How do you they do a body fat test?

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

Hot bath in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Eddyrio5

Over 35 is a fail.

Body fat test? Thats the first ive heard of that. What is the acceptable body fat % in that case?

The machine/scales you stand on measures your % of body fat. It doesn't matter for the medical, the maximum BMI for a pass is 30. It doesn't matter if it's composed of muscle or fat. (Obviously for the sake of your health it does!)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Hoopy1888

Hi All. I done my medical today. ALl went well bar I had a High Blood Pressure and got dererred to my GP for further tests and then once that goes OK, he sends back a report giving me the all clear. Was told it may be white coat syndrone as told by the doc as maybe the nerves kicked in as I've never had this issue before.
    Any idea if this will hold this up by much time?
    Cheers

Hoopy1888 wrote: »
    Hi All. I done my medical today. ALl went well bar I had a High Blood Pressure and got dererred to my GP for further tests and then once that goes OK, he sends back a report giving me the all clear. Was told it may be white coat syndrone as told by the doc as maybe the nerves kicked in as I've never had this issue before.
    Any idea if this will hold this up by much time?
    Cheers

What was your b pressure if you dont mind me asking?Was its just ever slightly high? I always suffer feom ‘white coat syndrome myself’ give it 5 mins or so and my blood pressure is back down to near perfect. Hopefully doesnt delay you much

The machine/scales you stand on measures your % of body fat. It doesn't matter for the medical, the maximum BMI for a pass is 30. It doesn't matter if it's composed of muscle or fat. (Obviously for the sake of your health it does!)

Oh right ao if you are below 30 you basically pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Hoopy1888

3 readings were 150/81, 153/88 and 160/88. SHe gave me a 5 min break to take a few breaths and go again but that was the 3rd reading and still didn't drop. I've an app set up a 4pm with my gp who i know very well so hopefully ill be more relaxed then. Any idea if it may hold me up?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Ruffruff

How long are most people waiting to be called for medical? Pasted interview in october in low 200s oom. Had meeting with sargent and super two months ago. The wait is killing me��

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Bullonabike17

30.5 will pass provided your body fat % is low on the scales. Its a scam of a system.

Advertisement