Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stage 4: Medical & Physical

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭fmp3d26og54yi9

User7 wrote: »
    Hi, I just passed my interview last week my oom was middle 300's. Just seen people posting that they still have t been accepted since summer 2017? Just wondering could I actually be waiting this long or is there a reason people are waiting that long? Still haven't had a date for medical or met with my super

Hi there, I had my interview mid Sept - Results were early Oct and I had my interview with my local Sgt. just over a week ago. HRM are currently processing my vetting and I am waiting to hear back on a date for medical and PCT. I think it all depends on each individual. How busy their local station is..if there is any inconsistencies in your vetting or relatives in other countries possibly. HRM did come back to me looking for Date of Death of my husbands grandparents as 2 of his grandparents their birth were not registered so I found them on the local cemetery burial ground register and gave them to HRM within the hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 rossd92

Hi there, I had my interview 17th Sept - Results were 02 Oct and I had my interview with my local Sgt. just over a week ago. HRM are currently processing my vetting and I am waiting to hear back on a date for medical and PCT. I think it all depends on each individual. How busy their local station is..if there is any inconsistencies in your vetting or relatives in other countries possibly. HRM did come back to me looking for Date of Death of my husbands grandparents as 2 of his grandparents their birth were not registered so I found them on the local cemetery burial ground register and gave them to HRM within the hour.

do they contact you via public jobs to meet the super or what?

rossd92 wrote: »
    do they contact you via public jobs to meet the super or what?

No your local sgt will call you as your Form B will be forwarded to your local station. They check your references and call you to come in for an informal chat.

You are done now with Public Jobs. Their part in the application is done. It's all HRM and Garda HQ etc. now.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭clairelouise95

Anyone have any tips on how to get BMI under 30?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭arainagusime

Intermittent fasting. It's amazing how much weight you lose and how fast when there is zero room for miscalculating calories.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭bottar1

It's simple maths/science. You work out how much your body burns, and you then eat less calories per day than your body burns by maybe 400 calories.

Work out your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) for example;
    https://tdeecalculator.net/

And then set a goal of 400-500 less calories than that. Track all your calories and I mean ALL in myfitnesspal.

If you are honest, there is no way you won't lose weight. It's that easy in concept, just sticking to it is the challenge. If you need any advice or anything feel free to send me a PM :)! You can do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 171268

I just ate a healthy(ish) breakfast lunch and dinner for two months instead of snacking inbetween and eating junk food. If you add exercise to this you’ll be laughing(I didn’t)

Hi Claire I cut out junk food and ate lots of eggs and veggies fish and chicken. Lost 3 stone this year and incorporated running/jogging. It's definitely doable

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Letsdoit

Question for people who have done the beep test. If you complete the 20m before the time giving do you have to wait for the next beep to go or can you keep going? And if you have to wait are the strict if you go a fraction before the beep? When practicing I find it alot easier to keep going rather than stopping maybe I just need to time it better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,424 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Letsdoit wrote: »
    Question for people who have done the beep test. If you complete the 20m before the time giving do you have to wait for the next beep to go or can you keep going? And if you have to wait are the strict if you go a fraction before the beep? When practicing I find it alot easier to keep going rather than stopping maybe I just need to time it better.

You have to wait for the beep, if you leave once before it they will let you off but if it becomes a pattern they will class that early leaving as a missed beep and you will have to make it to the next line before the beep or they'll class it as two beeps missed and you're gone. There's no taking the piss with it, they'll just bin you if they think you're shorting them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭User2206

I have my interview soon and was prepping my examples for compentency questions but struggling with motivation to be a guard! I know myself why I would like to be a guard but I’m not really sure what kind of answer they’re looking for here? Can anyone advise? Thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,424 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

User2206 wrote: »
    I have my interview soon and was prepping my examples for compentency questions but struggling with motivation to be a guard! I know myself why I would like to be a guard but I’m not really sure what kind of answer they’re looking for here? Can anyone advise? Thanks :)

Well what are your motivations first of all?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Bigred88

User2206 wrote: »

Community based job
    Job with self satisfaction
    Wanting to make a difference
    Willingness to help others
    Job Role that’s constantly changing.
    Teamwork

All prime examples . Find some part off your life that you can relate to any of the above and there’s your answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jpmullens

I'm having awful trouble with the pushups. I'm as fit as a fiddle, but definitely a bit bulkier and I think it's holding me back. Trying to cut down on all sorts, but I'm wondering if you hit the floor during the pushups, is the test over? I have no issue pushing myself up, just maintaining myself above the ground. I'd be grand if I knew I could hit the floor from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Irishman87545

jpmullens wrote: »
    I'm having awful trouble with the pushups. I'm as fit as a fiddle, but definitely a bit bulkier and I think it's holding me back. Trying to cut down on all sorts, but I'm wondering if you hit the floor during the pushups, is the test over? I have no issue pushing myself up, just maintaining myself above the ground. I'd be grand if I knew I could hit the floor from time to time.

There's a rest position if that's what you mean ,like when I did mine I near his the floor each rep but so you Mean like just lying there ha ?that would probably fail you

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭OscarKilo

Still plenty of time left, id start maybe adding in weights, such as bench press, chest press, and dumbbell bench press, and you’ll see better results, I went from 15 to 30
    In the space of a couple of weeks, but like anything else you have to practice, 10 pushups here, 15 pushups there and you’ll get it! Keep the faith!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Smallboy

Pushups

If you're having trouble with the pushups I'd definitely focus on doing some compound exercises to get your strength fitness up such as mentioned before, chest press, dumb bell press and try variations with incline and decline.

My best advice for the pushups is look up a challenge online; it's called the 100 push up challenge.
    I don't suggest it cause I want you to do 100 pushups - it starts off really slow and makes you do a small test at the start to judge where you are and it works off of that. It conditions your body to be able to do loads by teaching you muscle memory.

Give it a try, even if it doesn't work for you it doesn't matter you'll still be training pushups every day! :D

Do 100 pushups a day, or do a few circuits and HIIT classes per week (I'm doing about 5 a week myself) if you need some motivation.

Otherwise do some gym work yourself, bench press, overhead press, curls, squats, deadlifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Core strength is important for press ups, practice planks and side planks to improve form.

In the test you're allowed to go into the rest position. So don't panic if you begin to struggle, there's no time limit, just keep your focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 userunkown

What is the rest position?
    Do you just plank?
    Or can you plank with your arse up in the air?

• Advertisement

If you haven't done any intensive exercise all day, as in you are well rested, 25 push ups should be no bother guys!!

bottar1 wrote: »
    If you haven't done any intensive exercise all day, as in you are well rested, 25 push ups should be no bother guys!!

Im finding it hard to try and replicate exercises for the push and pull other than the weights machines. I have increased the weight and less reps to try build strength a little faster. I only need to hit 18 push ups on the day due to age/gender but how many a day do you reckon I should be doing to prep for it?

Im finding it hard to try and replicate exercises for the push and pull other than the weights machines. I have increased the weight and less reps to try build strength a little faster. I only need to hit 18 push ups on the day due to age/gender but how many a day do you reckon I should be doing to prep for it?

In regards to building muscle/strength, are you eating a good amount of protein per day? Usually 1 gram per pound of bodyweight or 0.8 grams per pound of bodyweight is a good amount to hit.

I'm about 160lb 5'11 male and eat around 160-200g per day the last few weeks. Very important when building muscle or strength.

Honestly, I would just either download an app (plenty on the app store) for push-up programs, sit up programs etc and follow that, or just make it up yourself, do 50 a day, next week increase it to 60, or start at 100 a day, increase to 110 the next week. Break them out over the day, do as many as you can in one go etc.

Importantly as long as you are doing something every week rather than nothing you should improve!! And then to supplement that if you have the time I suppose arm work (bicep curls, dips for triceps), chest (bench press, etc), shoulders/delts (lateral raises, dumbbell shoulder press), and ab work (planks, etc). All of that because muscles used in pushup are chest, abs, arms, shoulders

In regards to building muscle/strength, are you eating a good amount of protein per day? Usually 1 gram per pound of bodyweight or 0.8 grams per pound of bodyweight is a good amount to hit.

I'm about 160lb 5'11 male and eat around 160-200g per day the last few weeks. Very important when building muscle or strength.

Honestly, I would just either download an app (plenty on the app store) for push-up programs, sit up programs etc and follow that, or just make it up yourself, do 50 a day, next week increase it to 60, or start at 100 a day, increase to 110 the next week. Break them out over the day, do as many as you can in one go etc.

Importantly as long as you are doing something every week rather than nothing you should improve!! And then to supplement that if you have the time I suppose arm work (bicep curls, dips for triceps), chest (bench press, etc), shoulders/delts (lateral raises, dumbbell shoulder press), and ab work (planks, etc). All of that because muscles used in pushup are chest, abs, arms, shoulders

That's great advice! Thanks a lot. I am 5'3 and weigh 147lbs female and realise from your comments I am not eating nearly enough protein. I've been doing 5k every morning and doing my push ups and sit ups straight after. Then I do my weights in the evening with a little more cardio.

I will definitely up my daily push ups and sit ups and weights.

That's great advice! Thanks a lot. I am 5'3 and weigh 147lbs female and realise from your comments I am not eating nearly enough protein. I've been doing 5k every morning and doing my push ups and sit ups straight after. Then I do my weights in the evening with a little more cardio.

I will definitely up my daily push ups and sit ups and weights.

Definitely make sure you get 130-160g protein per day with your weight. I'd use myfitnesspal to track what your eating to make sure you hit the goals. Especially if you're doing alot of work like that!!

Also don't forget to drink plenty of water!!

Definitely make sure you get 130-160g protein per day with your weight. I'd use myfitnesspal to track what your eating to make sure you hit the goals. Especially if you're doing alot of work like that!!

Also don't forget to drink plenty of water!!

Thanks a lot :) I'll do that

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭droptheworld

Thanks a lot :) I'll do that

For the push pull try using the prowler in the gym pushing and pulling it towards you that’s what helped me a lot. Also doing lengths with the prowler if you can.

For the push pull try using the prowler in the gym pushing and pulling it towards you that’s what helped me a lot. Also doing lengths with the prowler if you can.

My gym has no prowler available unfortunately :(

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭droptheworld

My gym has no prowler available unfortunately :(

Ahh that’s a shame. Make sure you focus on building muscles in your legs as well as arms as you need it all for the push pull and upping weights by 2/5 kg every week.

• Advertisement

Ahh that’s a shame. Make sure you focus on building muscles in your legs as well as arms as you need it all for the push pull and upping weights by 2/5 kg every week.

I am soaking all this information up! 100% Will do. I know it'll be harder for me the push and pull as I am small and female but I'm working on it. Hill sprints will be done to build leg muscle too.

Advertisement