Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stage 4: Medical & Physical

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Smallboy

Good luck Oscar, Great stuff with the deferral. As one of the lads said;
    Atleast it’s not a fail. You’ll be surprised with how far you can push yourself now knowing it’s for what you want.

And thanks to everyone who replied to my silly question about pre workout haha, I appreciate all the kind words.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭OscarKilo

Has to be under 30.0 is it?

Yeah under 30 I’m 31.1 to be precise ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭RabbitHeart18

Has to be under 30.0 is it?

Yep under 30 I think but it's left very vague and so I think it can be down to the discretion of the doctor. So I wouldn't be getting 29.9 and counting on being safe if you know what I mean?

Yep under 30 I think but it's left very vague and so I think it can be down to the discretion of the doctor. So I wouldn't be getting 29.9 and counting on being safe if you know what I mean?

Yeah I think that too! Deffo yea!! Hahaha I’m aiming to get my BMI down past 27 or below if I can

Hi guys, quick question. I have my medical soon and am a little concerned about an aspect of it. The urine test. Don't worry, I've never touched drugs, it wouldn't be the job for me if I had haha. I get anxious when a doctor wants to look into stuff like that (bloods, heart pressure and urine testing) cause I do be so concerned of like the worst news possible. I know it's silly to be worried but I get so nervous of the possibility, I'd rather not know lmao.

What are they looking for in the urine test? Is it illnesses, lack of something like vitamins? Thanks so much :)

• Advertisement

Smallboy wrote: »
    Hi guys, quick question. I have my medical soon and am a little concerned about an aspect of it. The urine test. Don't worry, I've never touched drugs, it wouldn't be the job for me if I had haha. I get anxious when a doctor wants to look into stuff like that (bloods, heart pressure and urine testing) cause I do be so concerned of like the worst news possible. I know it's silly to be worried but I get so nervous of the possibility, I'd rather not know lmao.

What are they looking for in the urine test? Is it illnesses, lack of something like vitamins? Thanks so much :)

Don’t worry at all!! It’s just a standard clinical screen for proteins:glucose:albumuria i was worried about the BP

And my first reading was high, the nurse went ahead with my hearing and all that, she took it again it was coming down so she was happy with it.....the Dr seen that also, and took it again, they Where happy that it was coming down, so that was that! I wouldn’t worry, it’s a nice calm environment so! Hope it helps!

OscarKilo wrote: »
    Don’t worry at all!! It’s just a standard clinical screen for proteins:glucose:albumuria i was worried about the BP

And my first reading was high, the nurse went ahead with my hearing and all that, she took it again it was coming down so she was happy with it.....the Dr seen that also, and took it again, they Where happy that it was coming down, so that was that! I wouldn’t worry, it’s a nice calm environment so! Hope it helps!

Thanks Oscar. Don't like the sound of that, I'm gonna swallow a kilo of coke and hope that comes up instead.

Haha I'm only joking lmao, thanks man. I did my physical yesterday and passed so am delighted! Thanks for always helping me out my man.

Thanks Oscar. Don't like the sound of that, I'm gonna swallow a kilo of coke and hope that comes up instead.

Haha I'm only joking lmao, thanks man. I did my physical yesterday and passed so am delighted! Thanks for always helping me out my man.

Hahaha ah you’ll be grand bud! No better feeling! One of the major hurdles! Ah pint of water before hand ya be grand! Deffered on the BMI so on the road to weight loss and it’s workin out! Roll on June!

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Henry2006

Aprox how long were you waiting for a date for pct once you sent back form from doctor, do they give much notice ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Planes 1997

Henry2006 wrote: »
    Aprox how long were you waiting for a date for pct once you sent back form from doctor, do they give much notice ?

I was waiting around 3 weeks for a date and got an email Friday for the pct in 3 weeks time.

• Advertisement

I was waiting around 3 weeks for a date and got an email Friday for the pct in 3 weeks time.

Ok great, best of luck with it

Hi folks,

Just ah update on progress, as some of you may remember I got Deffered over BMI, my weight was 90.8 (13/3/19) just to let yous know it’s going in the right direction currently 84.3 which gives me a BMI of 29.1 I’m 5”7 my goal is 78.0 kg, just thought I’d let you folks
    Know! :)

OscarKilo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Hot_Fuzz

Hi folks,

Just ah update on progress, as some of you may remember I got Deffered over BMI, my weight was 90.8 (13/3/19) just to let yous know it’s going in the right direction currently 84.3 which gives me a BMI of 29.1 I’m 5”7 my goal is 78.0 kg, just thought I’d let you folks

OscarKilo!
    Excellent good job! :)

Hi folks,

OscarKilo!

Wow that’s a huge loss well done you must have been working really hard

Congrats Oscar!

I recently found out I passed my Medical and physical, simply just playing the waiting game now myself. I still haven't met my local Sergeant or Super which is unfortunate but I've waited long enough, now I've all the harder bits out of the way so I don't mind!

Henry2006 wrote: »
    Wow that’s a huge loss well done you must have been working really hard

It is! I’m delighted with my progress! I’ll be keeping it going, a lot of running 5 times a week, started from 30mins one week and building by 5mins each week! Starting 50min runs now today :)

Congrats Oscar!

I recently found out I passed my Medical and physical, simply just playing the waiting game now myself. I still haven't met my local Sergeant or Super which is unfortunate but I've waited long enough, now I've all the harder bits out of the way so I don't mind!

Cheers bro, ah I see I see! I had only met the sgt after my BMI defferal, and super just there a couple of days ago! Keep playing the waiting game! It’ll happen! What was your OOM?

It is! I’m delighted with my progress! I’ll be keeping it going, a lot of running 5 times a week, started from 30mins one week and building by 5mins each week! Starting 50min runs now today :)

That’s awesome

Cheers bro, ah I see I see! I had only met the sgt after my BMI defferal, and super just there a couple of days ago! Keep playing the waiting game! It’ll happen! What was your OOM?

Honestly, it was kinda high for how far I've gotten. It was in the mid 400's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Person3456

Anyone know for sure do females get the carry out the pushups on their knees? It shows the female participant doing this on the official fitness test video

• Advertisement

Person3456 wrote: »
    Anyone know for sure do females get the carry out the pushups on their knees? It shows the female participant doing this on the official fitness test video

Yes definitely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Does anyone have any first hand experience of getting a deferral of PCT on medical grounds? How did you go about it? Thanks

CZ 453 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any first hand experience of getting a deferral of PCT on medical grounds? How did you go about it? Thanks

Yes my daughter did and firstly you need a letter from your doctor stating why you are unfit and depending on the reason it can also say when you will be fit to participate, if it’s an injury such as a fracture, you will need a second letter from doctor stating you are now fit to participate, there was no problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Jake5991

Hey guys iv fitness test coming up in few weeks . Im a bit worried about the beep test im over thirty but iv been training a bit . Iv never done a beep test i know how you do it i just wondered what sort of running you would need to be doing for it sprints or long distance runs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 SimonDublin

Jake5991 wrote: »
    Hey guys iv fitness test coming up in few weeks . Im a bit worried about the beep test im over thirty but iv been training a bit . Iv never done a beep test i know how you do it i just wondered what sort of running you would need to be doing for it sprints or long distance runs ?

I think the best way is doing a beep test alongside your long distance run, this way it gives you more confidence and you know where you are at. may I add by doing a practise beep, you can learn to perfect your turns and familiarise each level and know how much effort to put in for each level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Jake5991

I think the best way is doing a beep test alongside your long distance run, this way it gives you more confidence and you know where you are at. may I add by doing a practise beep, you can learn to perfect your turns and familiarise each level and know how much effort to put in for each level.

And how do you set up the area where you would do the run ? Just seems a bit awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 SimonDublin

Jake5991 wrote: »
    And how do you set up the area where you would do the run ? Just seems a bit awkward.

for me I do it in the gym. i used a measuring tape and measure 20m, download one of the beep test audio that's available and away you go. I failed the beep and currently awaiting the retest but I feel so much more confident now knowing I am achieving my personal best 8.7 (8.1 pass for my age)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 SrcmabdleGegs

If you're in Dublin, you can rent a sprint lane in the Indoor Arena (in behind the National Aquatic Center) for €7 an hour. It's not quite the same surface as in Templemore (wooden gym floor) but similar traction etc. Key thing is it's a similar temperature, running outside isn't the same. I'm 35 and nailed it in February without setting foot in a gym. It can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Person3456

(I feel like this has been asked already but I can’t for the life of me find it anywhere)
    Would somebody who’s completed the physical competence test recently be able to explain the layout of the day just to put my mind and rest. Are the pushups and sit-ups before or after the beep test and how much of a break in between everything, how long do we get to warm up and where do we warm up etc do we eat in between. thanks so much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 jwals2130

You will be divided in to groups of about 8 people, the bleep test is first and once the first group finish bleep they go to the next room for push ups sit up , u may be given about 10 mins between bleep test and them to get drink and fresh air .. once u finish that u have a 2 hour break until doing obstacle and push pull.. you will have time to do yuour own warm up before bleep test in the changing rooms or the hall.. you can eat during the break , i just had fulfill bar and kept hydrated.. the tests themselves are straight forward if you have a decent level of fitness

Advertisement