Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stage 4: Medical & Physical

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 beaker4133

RedmondHR wrote: »
    Got my physical date, anyone else ?

Yep, got one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭AnMuinteoirOg

beaker4133 wrote: »
    Yep, got one myself.

Have ye medicals done?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 beaker4133

Have ye medicals done?

Yea medical done already

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Pt2016

beaker4133 wrote: »
    Yep, got one myself.

Approx how long are ye getting between medical date and physical date?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Gnr_Iver

Well, just a quick question for those who have attended the meeting with their local sergeants or supers, what does it involve when you meet them? Is it casual or formal , types of questions etc.

Any help would be great

• Advertisement

Gnr_Iver wrote: »
    Well, just a quick question for those who have attended the meeting with their local sergeants or supers, what does it involve when you meet them? Is it casual or formal , types of questions etc.

Any help would be great

Meeting with the Sergeant was fairly informal. We just had a general chat about myself; hobbies, interests etc. She spoke about what her experience of being a guard was like. She actually did most of the talking in the interview :p

Meeting with the super was more formal. He has to write a report on you so just asked questions that he could use in the report. He asked why did I want to become a guard, what am I doing in college, do I do any voluntary work in the community stuff like that.

AnMuinteoirOg, thanks for your reply. It helps when you know what to expect in these situations.

Is there any dress code? how long does it go on for and did you meet both the sgt and super on the same day?

AnMuinteoirOg, thanks for your reply. It helps when you know what to expect in these situations.

Is there any dress code? how long does it go on for and did you meet both the sgt and super on the same day?

Met the super a few days after the sergeant. Both lasted about quarter of an hour. Wore a suit to meet the sergeant but she joked there was no need to dress up for her. Just wore shirt and tie to Super and that seemed fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RedmondHR

Any help would be great

Just had mine there with the sergeant. Very informal. They just went over the form you sent in. Like 5-10 mins in total for me.

Just had mine there with the sergeant. Very informal. They just went over the form you sent in. Like 5-10 mins in total for me.

Thanks for your reply RedmondHR, did you wear a suit to the station aswell? im just in two minds on what to do. As they say, you only have one chance to make a good first impression. :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for your reply RedmondHR, did you wear a suit to the station aswell? im just in two minds on what to do. As they say, you only have one chance to make a good first impression. :)

I just wore jeans and a t shirt. I asked the sergeant on the phone and she said that will be more than enough and there is no need to wear a suit. But she might not of cared and you might have one that does care. Be no harm in ringing up just to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Ashley7777

Hey, how long were you waiting between doing your medical and getting your physical date?

Ashley7777 wrote: »
    Hey, how long were you waiting between doing your medical and getting your physical date?

16th days. However people who are doing the physical when I do it may of had there media al before me or after me. Good guess is two weeks I think. You do your medical yet ?

16th days. However people who are doing the physical when I do it may of had there media al before me or after me. Good guess is two weeks I think. You do your medical yet ?

No haven't it done yet have it mid June. Is ur physical on a Saturday? What date is it on? I have flights booked for a holiday I'm hoping it doesn't clash.

No haven't it done yet have it mid June. Is ur physical on a Saturday? What date is it on? I have flights booked for a holiday I'm hoping it doesn't clash.

Yea physical is on the Saturday.
    It might be no harm in emailing Garda HQ Telling them you are unavailable for the physical between whatever dates. They will have physicals on all through the summer they were saying. Say you have previous arrangements that can't be changed. Better to say it before they give you a date so they can build around it, if you get me. Might wanna give yourself an extra week or something, if your going on a holiday where your diet consists of booze and chipper might need a week to get back into shape.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5 1celticphoenix

At the interview, do you call the Chief Super 'Sir' or use his title?

Had my meeting with the Sergeant there yesterday. Wasn't to bad, just ran through my form B which was sent down from HQ. He asked more in depth questions about my aunts/uncles and cousins, what they were doing with themselves etc. Before you leave he/she will give you a date/time to call back in to meet with the Super. All the Super will do is ask roughly the same questions that the Sgt asked you.
    Apparently, the Supers have to write up their own report on you as well as the Sgt report.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

Had my meeting with the Sergeant there yesterday. Wasn't to bad, just ran through my form B which was sent down from HQ. He asked more in depth questions about my aunts/uncles and cousins, what they were doing with themselves etc. Before you leave he/she will give you a date/time to call back in to meet with the Super. All the Super will do is ask roughly the same questions that the Sgt asked you.
    Apparently, the Supers have to write up their own report on you as well as the Sgt report.

Does the Sgt. contact you, or do you need to contact your local station first?

shakin wrote: »
    Does the Sgt. contact you, or do you need to contact your local station first?

They should contact you

Yea they'll ring you and organise a meeting :)

• Advertisement

Must depend on the station mine was pretty different.
    Not much questions on my family and no date for the super. They said closer to the time the super will get in contact with me.

Must depend on the station mine was pretty different.
    Not much questions on my family and no date for the super. They said closer to the time the super will get in contact with me.

Yea id say so he definitely wanted to know more on my family and where exactly they were living, even though he had the addresses. Everything else was grand, but there was a few questions relating to my job as well.

Before I left he asked me when id be available to meet the Super, so hopefully it'll be this Monday just to get it over with.

How are you fixed for the medical/fitness test?

Medical grand, have the physical in the next few weeks. Feeling pretty confident, practicing it out my back, cant practice it in doors so have to do it in the garden atm. Can do the sit ups and push ups right after it easily, im pretty sure my form is good, would be a nasty surprise if it wasnt :P
    What about yourself how you doing for them?

Ah not to bad so, my medical is on the 21st of this month, so im keeping an eye on my bmi because id be into my weight training so im hoping I don't fail on that. fitness wise, I've no problem with the circuit, push/pull, sit-ups and pushups its just the beep test for myself. wouldn't have a great background in running but im running 5K 4-5 times a week so im trying my best.

After getting this far it would be awful to fail now so its all go. What was the story with the medical? what's involved from start to finish?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Fagan1234

Medical is a urine test weight height and bmi followed by a hearing and eye test and just a chat with the doctor nothing to worry about. Few tips for the physical for anyone doing it, most males are failing on push up form i.e not going down low enough and females on the bleep test. So for anyone training for the physical I'd highly recommended focusing on the two ! I failed my 1st physical on the bleep test and had to wait 3 months for a repeat so don't make the same mistake I did. Luckily I passed my repeat but it was 3 months wasted.

Fagan1234 wrote: »
    Medical is a urine test weight height and bmi followed by a hearing and eye test and just a chat with the doctor nothing to worry about. Few tips for the physical for anyone doing it, most males are failing on push up form i.e not going down low enough and females on the bleep test. So for anyone training for the physical I'd highly recommended focusing on the two ! I failed my 1st physical on the bleep test and had to wait 3 months for a repeat so don't make the same mistake I did. Luckily I passed my repeat but it was 3 months wasted.

sound for the info mate, how did you go about training for your beep test? just going for runs or something else?:)

I have Downloaded the app for the beep test and just practice that, not going to practice runs though.
    Beep test is 20 shuttle runs over 10+ mins, so a lot of it is about sprint speed and acceleration rather than stamina and endurance. If that makes sense ?
    Say you will be grand for the bmi, if your bmi is over but you look like the Mountain from GOT they will understand :p

Hey!! Has anybodys else's medical date been brought forward? I just got notice that mine is and just wondering if anybody else's has?

Hey!! Has anybodys else's medical date been brought forward? I just got notice that mine is and just wondering if anybody else's has?

Ya mine is. Got a phone call yesterday

• Advertisement

Ya mine is. Got a phone call yesterday

Did they give you any indication when your medical will be? Wonder will it be soon considering our medical got brought forward?

Advertisement