Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stage 4: Medical & Physical

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭AnMuinteoirOg

Ashley7777 wrote: »
    Did they give you any indication when your medical will be? Wonder will it be soon considering our medical got brought forward?

It was brought forward to next Tuesday. Supposed to be Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Ashley7777

It was brought forward to next Tuesday. Supposed to be Thursday

Sorry I ment did they give you any indication when your physical will be?

Sorry I ment did they give you any indication when your physical will be?

No she said nothing about physical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭ganthy

How strict are they with eyesight? I have 6/12 with both eyes but I had a lazy eye and double vision in my right eye. Do they test for that or are they just concerned with you being able to see the letters on the chart?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Gnr_Iver

RedmondHR wrote: »
    I have Downloaded the app for the beep test and just practice that, not going to practice runs though.
    Beep test is 20 shuttle runs over 10+ mins, so a lot of it is about sprint speed and acceleration rather than stamina and endurance. If that makes sense ?
    Say you will be grand for the bmi, if your bmi is over but you look like the Mountain from GOT they will understand :p

Haha jaysus im nothing like that big lump :) I wish I was. I just got lazy with the cardio while trying to build muscle so its my own fault but hopefully ill be grand. yea I get ya, it would probably be better just to do the test over and over again and build up my score that way. dedicating the whole weekend to training anyway ha....full steam ahead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RedmondHR

Gnr_Iver wrote: »
    Haha jaysus im nothing like that big lump :) I wish I was. I just got lazy with the cardio while trying to build muscle so its my own fault but hopefully ill be grand. yea I get ya, it would probably be better just to do the test over and over again and build up my score that way. dedicating the whole weekend to training anyway ha....full steam ahead

Like honestly it's not that hard, if anything kinda boring and too slow up until level 8. Give it a go and you will be grand!

yea ill deffo do the test more than going for runs. once its out of the way it'll be back to lifting things up and putting them down again:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 beaker4133

Many down for the physical tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

Im just doing the beep test daily (Hope its the right one). Its handy enough after a while. I do a 5km 2/3 times a week too. Also doing the sit ups and press ups 3/4 times a day. Took a rest day today tho. Feeling a bit sore so will get up and back to it tomorrow. Havent been called for physical yet but dont want to be only starting the training when i do get the call. Chicken and brocolli none stop to ensure the bmi is low for the medical next week but im fairly thin anyway so thats the least of my worries

My BMI is 30.5 at the moment on one test and 29.8 on another. Surely they won't fail me on the difference of .5?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

My BMI is 30.5 at the moment on one test and 29.8 on another. Surely they won't fail me on the difference of .5?

If the instructor at the open day is to be believed (and i do believe her) you'll fail even if you're half way through you last sit-up and time runs out so id imagine the medical is along similiar lines unfortunately :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Fagan1234

Bmi is only a recommended height to weight ratio they can be lenient if the extra weight you are is muscle but they also check body fat percentage so if both are high you can fail. The difference between a few decimal points could be down to the times you are weighing yourself at you will be lower in the morning when you haven't eaten.

Best if luck to everyone down tomorrow ! Sure yous won't need it!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭df14

How did people get on today? Did they say anything new?

df14 wrote: »
    How did people get on today? Did they say anything new?

Nothing new as far as I'm aware. There were people down from the 2013 campaign doing their physicals, only a small few though. Passed thank feck!

Fagan1234 wrote: »
    Bmi is only a recommended height to weight ratio they can be lenient if the extra weight you are is muscle but they also check body fat percentage so if both are high you can fail. The difference between a few decimal points could be down to the times you are weighing yourself at you will be lower in the morning when you haven't eaten.

Yea that's true. Had my fat percentage tested , it's at 17% at the moment and I'm flat out training as if I was going for the fitness. Medical on the 21 of this month so I'm hoping everything goes well . Hopefully they won't mind the .5 extra on the BMI on the day

beaker4133 wrote: »
    Nothing new as far as I'm aware. There were people down from the 2013 campaign doing their physicals, only a small few though. Passed thank feck!

Happy days! I'm getting there with the push ups other than that I hope to be ok

beaker4133 wrote: »

Congratulations! Does that mean the September batch could be half and half with 2014 campaign and 2016 campaign :)

Congratulations! Does that mean the September batch could be half and half with 2014 campaign and 2016 campaign :)

Not entirely sure. Judging by the amount of people that were there yesterday, I'd say the September intake would be mostly the 2016 campaign. There were rumours going around that they only have 75 for the June intake and they want 150, but again, just rumours!

What's the form for the sit-ups ? I know it's elbows past the knees but is it just down until your shoulder blades hit the ground ? Or the entire way down ?

• Advertisement

Yea your shoulder blades have to hit the mat, that's about it

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Ashley7777

Do you get your physical date on the day ypu do your medical?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭tictac__x

Hi guys, does anyone know how long is left in the ongoing medicals. I am still waiting for a med date and wondering roughly how long I will be waiting!

Yea I think that's what happens, if you pass you'll get your date before you leave HQ on the day

Do we need to bring anything specific to the medical

It depends. I got mine the day after, some people got it the same day, but you shouldn't be waiting too long for the email.

How's everyone feeling for the physical on Saturday ?

How's everyone feeling for the physical on Saturday ?

I'm struggling with the push ups after the beep and sit ups only getting about 15 hopefully I can push through on the day

Do they use callipers to test your fat % if your BMI is 30 or over ? Or is it an automatic fail ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭ganthy

Do they use callipers to test your fat % if your BMI is 30 or over ? Or is it an automatic fail ?
    Everyone is talking about being over the BMI....But what if your BMI is under? Is there a minimum BMI?

Advertisement