Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stage 4: Medical & Physical

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RedmondHR

df14 wrote: »
    I'm struggling with the push ups after the beep and sit ups only getting about 15 hopefully I can push through on the day

Fingers crossed!
    There are good apps out there that I found were brilliant for the push ups,should give them a try.

Meeting with the Super on Sunday. What to expect ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Gnr_Iver

RedmondHR wrote: »
    Meeting with the Super on Sunday. What to expect ?

I had mine there on Monday. Have to say it was more relaxed than the meeting with the Sgt. He just went over all the info that the Sgt gathered very quickly, it's more so for him to put a face on you and just see what your like as a person. My meeting didn't last any longer that 10mins . I wore a shirt and tie again and everything was fine.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 SKW17

Hi
    I just wondered, are the PCT tests taking place on a Saturday or during the week?

Gnr_Iver wrote: »
    I had mine there on Monday. Have to say it was more relaxed than the meeting with the Sgt. He just went over all the info that the Sgt gathered very quickly, it's more so for him to put a face on you and just see what your like as a person. My meeting didn't last any longer that 10mins . I wore a shirt and tie again and everything was fine.

Hope that helps.

Cheers, suit and tie kind of job or more slacks and shirt ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭AudiKid

As part of the medical, is there a lung function test? I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭AnMuinteoirOg

AudiKid wrote: »
    As part of the medical, is there a lung function test? I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.

Theres a peak flow test. You blow into it and it measures how hard you can blow air out of your lungs

Cheers, suit and tie kind of job or more slacks and shirt ?

I wore shirt and tie just to Play it safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

Question on the PCT. Is there a gap between beep test and sit-ups/press-ups or is it straight in, no kissing?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 beaker4133

Fran1985 wrote: »
    Question on the PCT. Is there a gap between beep test and sit-ups/press-ups or is it straight in, no kissing?

You're given the time it takes the next group of 8 to do the bleep test before you do your sit/push ups...so approximately 8 minutes of a break. Then between that and the obstacle and push-pull you're given a long enough while to rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Montague4LC

Only found this thread now.
    I would be fairly fit train a lot with football but I'm just wondering does anyone know any exercises or anything to help with the push pull machine? I'm female btw so don't have that much upper body strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭IceWeasel

tictac__x wrote:
    Hi guys, does anyone know how long is left in the ongoing medicals. I am still waiting for a med date and wondering roughly how long I will be waiting!

Hey guys long time lurker here first time poster. I am in the same boat as tictac__x waiting on a medical date. Was starting to get worried seeing as some people have physical dates already. Any idea if the OOM is still determining what date you get?

I would be fairly fit train a lot with football but I'm just wondering does anyone know any exercises or anything to help with the push pull machine? I'm female btw so don't have that much upper body strength.

When's your physical and did you go to the open day ?
    I would imagine bench pressing and Rows are good exercises for it. But the thing is its that there is no proper technique to it. It's literally push all your weight forwards and backwards. Maybe get a friend, family member to practice with you.
    Grab there shoulders and push them with them resisting and pull them with them resisting.
    Also what height are you? Just a lot of the push pull depends on your height.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Collielover

Hey I got a personal trainer to help me, did weight training specific to the muscles needed for the push pull, there's YouTube videos of the fitness test you can use to show a trainer so you can get the best advise!
    I'm only 5 ft 3 and managed 23.5 on the day which with the 10% compensation from the circuit meant I was over what I needed. I trained for about 2.5 months before my test..
    Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭AM11

Hey I got a personal trainer to help me, did weight training specific to the muscles needed for the push pull, there's YouTube videos of the fitness test you can use to show a trainer so you can get the best advise!
    I'm only 5 ft 3 and managed 23.5 on the day which with the 10% compensation from the circuit meant I was over what I needed. I trained for about 2.5 months before my test..
    Best of luck!

And would have considered yourself to have good upper body strength?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭baldshin

Push pull is all about height it seems. I scored 40 on the open day with not a huge effort yet struggle big time with push ups and wouldn't consider myself overly strong, but I am 6 foot 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭df14

Can you adjust your hands during push ups or do they have to remain flat? I find I'm slipping sometimes but I'm just doing them on the floor

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Collielover

AM11 wrote: »
    And would have considered yourself to have good upper body strength?

Previously I'd have considered myself to have no upper body strength, remember trying to do press ups on my knees and could barely get 5.

Once you start press ups no moving your hands or feet/knees so before you start make sure you're happy with your positioning and keep the arse down, you can pause during press ups as there's no time limit but you've to hold the plank position...

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭AM11

And girls can do the ones were there knees are down?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

df14 wrote: »
    Can you adjust your hands during push ups or do they have to remain flat? I find I'm slipping sometimes but I'm just doing them on the floor

i don't think so. Try it on a less slippy floor (the garden maybe) and see how ya get on
    baldshin wrote: »
    Push pull is all about height it seems. I scored 40 on the open day with not a huge effort yet struggle big time with push ups and wouldn't consider myself overly strong, but I am 6 foot 2.

I'd be the same. Got 34 without breaking a sweat but when it comes to push-ups and sit-ups it's a different story
    AM11 wrote: »
    And girls can do the ones were there knees are down?

correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Montague4LC

When's your physical and did you go to the open day ?
    I would imagine bench pressing and Rows are good exercises for it. But the thing is its that there is no proper technique to it. It's literally push all your weight forwards and backwards. Maybe get a friend, family member to practice with you.
    Grab there shoulders and push them with them resisting and pull them with them resisting.
    Also what height are you? Just a lot of the push pull depends on your height.

Perfect thanks! I'm 5ft 6, couldn't make the open day and just waiting on a date for the physical now I've the medical done!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Armchairbread

What does 8.8 mean on the beep test lads??

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭cluedo123

What does 8.8 mean on the beep test lads??

It's the required level you must attain during the bleep test. Not sure how many shuttles you need to run to get that, but practice makes perfect. Look for videos on YouTube and you can see what/how it's done.

Perfect thanks! I'm 5ft 6, couldn't make the open day and just waiting on a date for the physical now I've the medical done!

Physical should be in the next few weeks then. I'm down there tomorrow will ask them what they recommend. Best of luck anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Vamp369

Long time lurker, bit of advice to those to do the fitness test.

Just after the fitness test and PCT today. I thought I would have no problems with anything, been training hard. Struggled with push ups as my arse was going up too high. Just got 22. On my own training I had been hitting 35. Keeping the bum down made it a lot tougher. Passed all tho.

Good luck to those still to go.

Vamp369 wrote: »
    Long time lurker, bit of advice to those to do the fitness test.

Just after the fitness test and PCT today. I thought I would have no problems with anything, been training hard. Struggled with push ups as my arse was going up too high. Just got 22. On my own training I had been hitting 35. Keeping the bum down made it a lot tougher. Passed all tho.

Good luck to those still to go.

Well, how did you find the beep test? How strict were they for the sit ups ?

Passed the physical there. Not too bad. No just the wait :p

Congrats, all the work is done now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Vamp369

Gnr_Iver wrote: »
    Well, how did you find the beep test? How strict were they for the sit ups ?

Beep test was fine, kept going to level 9 till the machine was turned off. The app I was using for training seemed to be harder.

Sits ups were fine, one of the other candidates said his instructor was strict, said he wasn't going back far enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭AudiKid

Well done Redmond!

Advertisement