Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stage 4: Medical & Physical

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RedmondHR

AudiKid wrote: »
    Well done Redmond!

Thanks! Be you in no time!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 SKW17

With the medical and the fitness, do they tell you there and then on the day if you've passed?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭df14

SKW17 wrote: »
    With the medical and the fitness, do they tell you there and then on the day if you've passed?

Ya they do

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Tdireddi

Hello,

Received an email on Thursday informing me on passing the interview and noting that I'm onto the next stage subject to vetting ect..

I'm through the Irish stream and my place of merit was 1-5, did the interview about 4 weeks ago. The whole process seems to be moving quiet fast this year.

Few questions..

1. What will happen next, should I be expecting a phone call from my local Gardaí (Super + Srg)

2. If so what time frame am I looking at to get to my actual Physical and Medical I'm starting training now and am visiting a personal trainer tomorrow

3. If all goes well when should I be seeing An Teampall Mór..?

4. Any advice tips ect..what to wear at the meeting and preps for the Physical and Fitness

Thanks for any input and help!

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RedmondHR

Tdireddi wrote: »
    Hello,

Received an email on Thursday informing me on passing the interview and noting that I'm onto the next stage subject to vetting ect..

I'm through the Irish stream and my place of merit was 1-5, did the interview about 4 weeks ago. The whole process seems to be moving quiet fast this year.

Few questions..

1. What will happen next, should I be expecting a phone call from my local Gardaí (Super + Srg)

2. If so what time frame am I looking at to get to my actual Physical and Medical I'm starting training now and am visiting a personal trainer tomorrow

3. If all goes well when should I be seeing An Teampall Mór..?

4. Any advice tips ect..what to wear at the meeting and preps for the Physical and Fitness

Thanks for any input and help!

Congratulations first and foremost.
    Dunno about the sergeant and super, depends on the station, I only just had my meeting with the super there on Sunday.

The physical will be around 2 weeks after the medical, that's what it was for me and a good few other people. Could have more or less time but 2 weeks is a good shout I think .

I dunno really depends on how they are managing the Irish stream.

Sergeant is informal wore jeans and t shirt.
    Sergeant is formal wore slacks, shirt and a tie.

For the physical on the next few days do the beep test, and right after the beep test do the sit ups and push ups. Just so you know yourself where you stand. If you have a chance to go to the open day DEFINETLY go to it. It's amazing how useful it is.
    What height are you? If your tall enough push pull should be no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Gnr_Iver

Medical done today. Everything went well thank god, just waiting for the fitness test date now. Looking forward to it !!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭AudiKid

What is the waiting time between getting your interview results and getting called forward to the medical?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭AM11

Gnr_Iver wrote: »
    Medical done today. Everything went well thank god, just waiting for the fitness test date now. Looking forward to it !!

Do they tell you there and then that you passed the medical?

What is the waiting time between getting your interview results and getting called forward to the medical?

About 3-4 weeks for myself

AM11 wrote: »
    Do they tell you there and then that you passed the medical?

Yes, the doctor tells you before you leave the room if you have passed or failed.

• Advertisement

Yes, the doctor tells you before you leave the room if you have passed or failed.

Have you heard back about vetting yet?

Have you heard back about vetting yet?

I contacted HQ about it and I was told it was on going and that they would contact me when it's all clear

I contacted HQ about it and I was told it was on going and that they would contact me when it's all clear

Best of luck! Just found out I passed the interview today. Starting to get pretty real!

Best of luck! Just found out I passed the interview today. Starting to get pretty real!

Congrats pal, yea getting closer and closer to the dream. I'll have plenty of candles lit for me for the fitness test ha.

Congrats pal, yea getting closer and closer to the dream. I'll have plenty of candles lit for me for the fitness test ha.

There'll be a candle shortage!

There'll be a candle shortage!

Ahh shhhtop :)

Ahh shhhtop :)

You'll be grand. Is there much time between the medical and physical?

You'll be grand. Is there much time between the medical and physical?

I've been told about 2 weeks, give or take. So I've a few more training sessions to get in

Anybody else get the email about the open day?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 vivikins

Anybody else get the email about the open day?

I just got mine for the 2nd July :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭i-ron

Yep same here

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Tdireddi

Got word 2 weeks ago that I passed the Interview, but didn't get any email regarding the open day..? Did it come via PublicJobs account or your personal email..? Also im coming through via the Irish Stream if that makes a difference..? Placed very high also...

vivikins wrote: »
    I just got mine for the 2nd July :)

Brilliant!

Ill see you there. I'm mad to get a go on this push-pull machine!

Elliot192 wrote: »
    It was great to go down and get a feel for it. Would recommend everyone in the next batch to do it if you can.

For those who couldn't make it - it's not the end of the world. Watch the videos on youtube. There will be a talk on the day before you do your PCT, so if you've any questions ask them then.

I don't know if we are supposed to post this, so someone feel free to delete if necessary. But for those up in June who couldn't make the day I'll give you a quick breakdown of what we were told.

PCT day starts with a talk. Then it's bleep test in groups of roughly 8. Test has a built in warm up - Level 1 starts off at 8kph and has 6 shuttles, think he said level 2 had 6 as well. Some groups practicing this started out at too fast a pace. Take your time. Otherwise you'll be knackered by the end of it. They call out the shuttles for you starting from 6, so , 6, 6.1, 6.2 etc You only need to run as far as the mark you need plus one ie if you've to reach level 8.8 listen for the 8.8 and complete one more shuttle. If you miss a beep don't worry. Put your skates on and reach the next one. You'll get a warning but you're only out if you miss two consecutive beeps. Only one foot needs to hit the line, so don't waste time on two feet or big mad turns. Instructor recommended practicing the test indoors in a sports hall - not on a treadmill or on a pitch. Once you're finished you move straight into a side room for sit ups then push ups. So practice doing them fatigued! You'll be tested on this in private so don't worry about spectators. An instructor will stand on/hold your feet for the sit ups. Hands must remain on your temples. Elbows have to pass your knees on the sit up and shoulders have to touch the ground. You're lying on a mat for them. Feet are off the mat about a foot from your arse. Oh and if you are struggling on a sit up ie moving abs from side to side to bring yourself upright - it doesn't count. As soon as you've finished the sit ups it's on to the push ups no break -except maybe to shake out the aul muscles. You have to start off from the ground ie push yourself up. Hands under shoulders, arms/elbows tilted back slightly -so not at a 90 degree angle from your body. Need to keep back, arse and legs in a straight line - any bends and it doesn't count. Knees hit the floor and it's test over. Need to bring your chest down to about fist height off the floor. Can rest on your arms but instructor said it's fatiguing so wouldn't recommend it. That's unit one over. If you fail any part of it you will need to repeat that section. There is a possibility to redo one section of the PCT in 3 months. But don't bank on it. Mini break - the example he gave us was if beep etc finishes at 10.30 next section could start at 12. Again don't count on a massive break. Then it's on to the obstacle course followed immediately by the push pull. That is unit two. Again fail either component and you will need to redo entire section. Instructor said most people finish one lap of the obstacle course in about 50 seconds. Take your time on the balance beam (it's red with yellow spot at the start -need to start from the yellow), dipping under the bar (knock it off and you've to go back and do that section again). Things to watch out for are: green cones, go around them. Don't knock any cones down. Leave the tire hanging over the edge so it'll be easier to lift on your next lap. The mannequin weighs about 7 stone. If you have small hands you'll need to get a good grip on his ankles or try for his boots. Wrists won't be a problem. You can make up time on the sprint sections. Can take stairs two at a time. It's quite do-able. There will be an instructor talking you through the course so don't worry about getting mixed up or having to remember it all. You have 3mins 20secs. If you do it under 3min it knocks 10% off what you need to register on the push pull. Could come in handy for shorter people doing the push pull. Tips for the push pull. USE your entire body not just your arms. Use the legs to generate force for yourself. Don't look at the slider. Focus on the wall in front of you and listen for the beeps. Push til you hear a beep then pull back til you hear a beep etc. Again all this is done in private so no worries about nerves in front of others. Best of luck lads!

Hey, how long does the open day take?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭AnMuinteoirOg

Hey, how long does the open day take?

About an hour and a half

About an hour and a half

Brilliant, thanks.

Brilliant!

Ill see you there. I'm mad to get a go on this push-pull machine!

I got the invite for the 2nd as well. It's my sisters wedding on the 1st....!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 61_Eh123

When do you think our fitness will be? I need to get up to scratch on the fitness...

Passed the medical thank god!:) fitness test now on the 9th of July. Plenty of training ahead.

• Advertisement

Congrats! Almost there.

Advertisement