Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stage 4: Medical & Physical

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Laffs_a_lot

Tdireddi wrote: »
    Got word 2 weeks ago that I passed the Interview, but didn't get any email regarding the open day..? Did it come via PublicJobs account or your personal email..? Also im coming through via the Irish Stream if that makes a difference..? Placed very high also...

It came through our personal email account

AudiKid wrote: »
    Anybody else get the email about the open day?

Got an email about the open day. Just wondering are they doing a morning and an afternoon session or just the one?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭AM11

What time is your invitation for?

AM11 wrote: »
    What time is your invitation for?

Midday. I have a family event on in the afternoon so I was hoping they have an earlier session I could attend.

I got the same time. And it's my sisters wedding on the Friday!

• Advertisement

I got the same time. And it's my sisters wedding on the Friday!

I wonder would we miss out much if we don't go to it? I really want to give the push pull machine a try as I don't have great upper body strength so it would probably be my biggest hurdle in the pct.

From reading through all the threads it seems like it is really helpful. I rang up to see if there would be another open day over the next few weeks but they said they cant promise anything. I'm planning on going but I'll have to see how I am that morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Turbo T

Going to the open day really puts your mind at ease if you're unsure of any aspect of the physical test.

Being able to have a go of the push pull machine is very beneficial. To understand how it works and to see the technique required.

If you can't make it for whatever reason, there are new videos on youtube. Doing it yourself though is of course the best.

Best of luck everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Pt2016

Got an email about the open day. Just wondering are they doing a morning and an afternoon session or just the one?

There is a 10.00am session as well so maybe you could attend that one instead? It's worth asking anyway

Pt2016 wrote: »
    There is a 10.00am session as well so maybe you could attend that one instead? It's worth asking anyway

Brilliant thanks. I rang and they were able to put me on the earlier session. I'm looking forward to getting a better idea of what is to be expected on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RedmondHR

The best thing about the open day so the obstacle course, you get a proper feel for the course. When they say the dummy is 7st means nothing,when you actually pull it you get an idea. Sane with the tyre and everything else. The video online gives you no idea what it actually is like doing it.
    Also make sure you give everything a try, it's all optional, but your down there might as well. Worst thing you can do is make a fool of yourself and know what not to do in the physical. When I went some people didn't try the course or push pull, which to me is just madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭AudiKid

How are people finding the fitness test?

I haven't started training properly yet, but I am finding a bit of difficulty with the sit-ups. 32 in a minute is challenging.

Have many people failed?

Brilliant thanks. I rang and they were able to put me on the earlier session. I'm looking forward to getting a better idea of what is to be expected on the day.

Ah that's great.ya it'll be great to get a feel for what to expect on the day

I haven't started training properly yet, but I am finding a bit of difficulty with the sit-ups. 32 in a minute is challenging.

Have many people failed?

I've been going the gym a good but just tried the bleep test with the app and struggled badly. It seems really fast paced. Anyone have any tips for it or is it best to just keep practicing every day?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭df14

Have many people failed?

I failed arms just gave up on the push ups but thankfully get another shot in a few weeks.

Have many people failed?

Didn't find it too bad, but when I started was pretty tough.
    Look up 60 sit ups in 60 seconds.
    After a few weeks of following that program you should be fine.

For the beep test only advice is keep doing it. Over and over and over again. If you can't get to your level, improve from your last level. Progressive overload!

I've been going the gym a good but just tried the bleep test with the app and struggled badly. It seems really fast paced. Anyone have any tips for it or is it best to just keep practicing every day?

Just keep practising, whatever app I was using I found much tougher than the one used on the actual test

df14 wrote: »
    Just keep practising, whatever app I was using I found much tougher than the one used on the actual test

Did you use Bleep fitness test? A blue lad running and grey background? I've heard a few people say it was easier on the day but I don't wanna risk it. But my confidence took a knock this eve when I tried to do it :( I should have a few weeks to get there anyway. How long did you have to wait to take the physical again?

Did you use Bleep fitness test? A blue lad running and grey background? I've heard a few people say it was easier on the day but I don't wanna risk it. But my confidence took a knock this eve when I tried to do it :( I should have a few weeks to get there anyway. How long did you have to wait to take the physical again?

No it's a green background just called beep test, I am re doing it in 3 weeks I failed it last week

df14 wrote: »
    No it's a green background just called beep test, I am re doing it in 3 weeks I failed it last week

That's a pretty quick retest. I thought people would be waiting months. I'm sure you'll pass no problem this time. Best of luck :)

• Advertisement

That's a pretty quick retest. I thought people would be waiting months. I'm sure you'll pass no problem this time. Best of luck :)

Thanks! You can defer 3 months but I wasn't far off so I just wanna keep going with it now

Try not to just do the beep test over and over, it'll demotivate you fast if you are struggling abit with it. Try add in some circuit training and interval training to build up your anerobic system. Maybe do the beep test at the start and towards the end of the week. The circuit trainine will also help with the other aspects of the PCT. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

I do the test daily. I struggled at first so went for 5km runs. the run involved a lot of walking and stopping for a rest after 2.5km. I did that every second day for a couple of weeks and eventually built it up. When i came back to the bleep test i flew through it. I get up to 8.5 but cos of my age I only need to get 8.1.

I'm struggling a bit on the push-ups myself. I can do the 22 but the last 2 are rough. I'm taking a plank break after 15 or so. Anyone any advice to improve them?

Sit ups are OK I think. I can get to 32 in about 55/56 seconds. Would like to push on to try get to 40 (to cover mistakes). Must try that 60 sit ups in 60 seconds thing that someone mentioned.

Fran1985 wrote: »
    I do the test daily. I struggled at first so went for 5km runs. the run involved a lot of walking and stopping for a rest after 2.5km. I did that every second day for a couple of weeks and eventually built it up. When i came back to the bleep test i flew through it. I get up to 8.5 but cos of my age I only need to get 8.1.

I'm struggling a bit on the push-ups myself. I can do the 22 but the last 2 are rough. I'm taking a plank break after 15 or so. Anyone any advice to improve them?

Sit ups are OK I think. I can get to 32 in about 55/56 seconds. Would like to push on to try get to 40 (to cover mistakes). Must try that 60 sit ups in 60 seconds thing that someone mentioned.

Ye I want to be 100% sure and be able to do more press ups and sit ups than needed. I'm good for press ups and I'm hitting the sit ups target but the bleep is my struggle now.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Vamp369

Ye I want to be 100% sure and be able to do more press ups and sit ups than needed. I'm good for press ups and I'm hitting the sit ups target but the bleep is my struggle now.

I found that a mix of doing the bleep test, fartlek training and some long slow distance running got me up to the level required. I did the actual test last Saturday and got to level 9.

My training plan consisted of the following:
    Day 1: A 750m light, LIGHT, jog to my bleep test site. Then I ran the bleep test. What ever level I got to, I got to. I then did a light 1 km jog then 2.5km of fartlek training, so 30 seconds running at 80-90% tempo, 30s light jog, repeated. A lot of stretching at cool down.
    Day 2: Rest.
    Day 3: Jog of 4km to 8km over an hour.
    Day 4: Rest
    Day 5: Start again from Day 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Gnr_Iver

Anyone who's done the fitness test, could you tell me how many shuttles there are at the beginning of the beep test ? Like is it 8 shuttles for lvl 1 - 3 or is it less/more ?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭ganthy

Anyone know the failure rate for the medical? For those that did it, how many in your group did not pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

Passed the interview - onto the medical next, which im pretty screwed for on the weight. Any idea if they will give you a chance to get it sorted or can you be disqualified from the competition at that stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Just wondering,

In relation to the medical, is it true you have to produce 5 year medical records from your gp?

• Advertisement

carzony wrote: »
    Just wondering,

In relation to the medical, is it true you have to produce 5 year medical records from your gp?

Nope,they only ask for your GP contact number.

Advertisement