Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Game-Patrick Rothfuss-The Wise Man's Fear

• 16-05-2016 4:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭

Tak is a new abstract strategy game created by James Ernest and Patrick Rothfuss, based on the game in The Wise Man's Fear.
    "Tak is the best sort of game: simple in its rules, complex in its strategy. Bredon beat me handily in all five games we played, but I am proud to say that he never beat me the same way twice." -Kvothe

Not something I am interested in ,but maybe some Rothfuss fans here might be .

Might explain why part 3 is taking so long.;)

LINK:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cheapassgames/tak-a-beautiful-game

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Jasnah

He's really milking that series for all its worth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Kal El

Jasnah wrote: »
    He's really milking that series for all its worth.

Pity he couldnt just focus on the 3rd book

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

He's shown a complete lack of respect for his readers.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Trojan wrote: »
    Might be worse than GRRM in that regard.

JV Jones is another writer who doesn't seem to care much about her fan base having effectively vanished with no communication or word since her last novel six years ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well do we know he's actually planned what's coming next? G.R.R: Martin has the full story in his head but if Patrick is to wrap up everything in one book (even a 800 pager) it's going to be a stretch to go from current time in the book and plot to "current" so to speak so I could easily see writer block.

• Advertisement

Nody wrote: »
    Well do we know he's actually planned what's coming next? G.R.R: Martin has the full story in his head but if Patrick is to wrap up everything in one book (even a 800 pager) it's going to be a stretch to go from current time in the book and plot to "current" so to speak so I could easily see writer block.

Lol, it's worse than that. The entire trilogy was supposedly completed long before he published book 1, back in 2006. Then he started re-writing. He re-wrote books 1 and 2 before publishing. So he's probably doing the same with book 3.

I wouldn't have a problem with writer's block as a reason - although it'd be a bit of a stretch at this point! But this... writing prequels, games, more prequels, more games. Seriously, just (re-)write the f**king book already.

Every discussion related to Rothfuss/Kingkiller turns into a war about this now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

A pompous eejit with extreme delusions of grandeur.

You would swear he had written Ulysses the way he pontificates on how he managed to write his two somewhat above average fantasy yarns.

Found it very difficult to enjoy the Wise Man's Fear because what a bellend Rothfuss seems to be seeped into my brain while I was reading it, might not bother with the last one if I'm still alive when it's released (I'm 30 now so probably a coin flip).

It think it's fair to say that The Name of the Wind is up there as one of the best fantasies of the last two decades. Its coming heralded Rothfuss as a potential Fantasy Grand Master. (Does fantasy have grand masters?)

When we got Wise Man's Fear it was a huge let down. After the initial excitement fades, there are some serious problems with the book. The complete lack of story arc. Mary Sue. Denna. The faerie sex. More faerie sex. Seriously, does the faerie sex end? More Denna. And the realisation that, despite it being incredibly long, he neglects to close almost any of his open loops.

Now he has to somehow tick all those boxes in book 3, while trying to reach the heights of book 1. Fear of failure is probably a significant part of the issue here.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Fear of failure is probably a significant part of the issue here.

That's probably a very big part of it alright. It took him 15 years of fiddling to write the first book without the pressure of his earlier success & now he has the added "problem" of not needing really additional income. It's almost a textbook example of how an author freezes up - lots of pressure to succeed, little to gain from it, and a million ways to procrastinate.

We may never get that last book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭mickmac76

Rothfuss did a Q&A yesterday for his fans, details are on his website. Apparently the plan is for a tenth year aniversary edition of book one to be published this year with some minor changes. No word on book 3. I think I'll give up waiting on him he's brutal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Saw that as well, some notions that fella has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,560 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Bit ridiculous all right. When you look at other authors that started around the same time as him or even after, their work load puts his to shame.
    Even Scott Lynch who is suffered with mental issues has 3 books out in his series with a fourth coming sooner than Rothfuss' third.
    Heck has GRRM released more or the same as Rothfuss in the last ten years?

The first book was really good until the end and the second book was ok but he's been dining out on them for nearly ten years now.
    It's a shame because other authors with more work out and probably better work are struggling or just filling along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

He honestly can take asa much time as he wants, but people are going to move on and not give a crap what happens to Kvothe.

Shame, because when NoTW came out it was a breath of fresh air.

Advertisement