Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What kind of studying would get me A's?

Options
  • 16-05-2016 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I'm only starting to study now for the JC. It might be too late to get an A in subjects but I want to try. I've seen some people say don't study it's not worth it and it doesn't matter, is that true?

In my mocks I got 2 A's (Woodwork,Cspe) and the rest B's I got a C in history 63% was my worst area.

If I have been doing my homework and listening in class mostly will I be able to get an A or do I need to know the books cover to cover. I'm really stressed out I don't know if this is right! Help

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Apart from leaving out questions and getting information wrong in answers another problem candidates can have is not answering the question asked.

The sort of people that say don't worry and it doesn't matter should be ignored. If you feel it is worth trying at, then try. What other people think in general should be of no concern to you - in all areas of life, but especially regarding school and exams. It is your education and your exam, take it as seriously as you want.

The exam is designed for you to do well. It is possible in the JC for some people to do quite well with very little study. This is all well and good, but make sure if you are one of those people, you don't fall into the trap of thinking it will be the same for the LC. They are different exams, designed differently.

Make sure you know the layout of each paper and what questions, or parts of questions need to be answered. Be sure you know what the optional questions are.

READ THE QUESTIONS CAREFULLY.

No point writing a marvellous answer on Da Vinci or Michelangelo if the question asked for someone OUTSIDE Italy. You might be surprised how many people (at both levels) make that sort of basic mistake.

Use the time you have. If you are finished early, have a check over things. If you have time, do an extra question, just in case. You will be given the marks for your highest scoring one.

Don't try and cram the night before. Have a good sleep, maybe go for a short run/fast walk/swim the morning of an exam. It all helps to get the oxygen flowing round the brain. On a two-exam day, don't leather into a chicken fillet roll or chips for lunch. It will sit in your stomach and make you tired for the afternoon exam. Have something healthy like a salad instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 John_2187

spurious wrote: »
    Apart from leaving out questions and getting information wrong in answers another problem candidates can have is not answering the question asked.

The sort of people that say don't worry and it doesn't matter should be ignored. If you feel it is worth trying at, then try. What other people think in general should be of no concern to you - in all areas of life, but especially regarding school and exams. It is your education and your exam, take it as seriously as you want.

The exam is designed for you to do well. It is possible in the JC for some people to do quite well with very little study. This is all well and good, but make sure if you are one of those people, you don't fall into the trap of thinking it will be the same for the LC. They are different exams, designed differently.

Make sure you know the layout of each paper and what questions, or parts of questions need to be answered. Be sure you know what the optional questions are.

READ THE QUESTIONS CAREFULLY.

No point writing a marvellous answer on Da Vinci or Michelangelo if the question asked for someone OUTSIDE Italy. You might be surprised how many people (at both levels) make that sort of basic mistake.

Use the time you have. If you are finished early, have a check over things. If you have time, do an extra question, just in case. You will be given the marks for your highest scoring one.

Don't try and cram the night before. Have a good sleep, maybe go for a short run/fast walk/swim the morning of an exam. It all helps to get the oxygen flowing round the brain. On a two-exam day, don't leather into a chicken fillet roll or chips for lunch. It will sit in your stomach and make you tired for the afternoon exam. Have something healthy like a salad instead.

Thanks spurious. I'm gonna get studying for the remaining time, my mock results were achieved with rather little study, so I'm gonna improve upon them.

The LC is different, I know. That's important to me, just not so much the JC.
    It's more important to my parents than me in my eyes. Thanks again ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭adamob544

If your worst is a C youre pretty much all set hahaha. I got an F, E and loads of D's. In my opinion, I think practicing loads of exam questions really helps. It really helped me with Spanish because its the only subject I get an A in haha. Stressing will only make it worse, if you got good mock results chances are you'll do even better in this exam. I'm doing JC this year too :( , best of luck with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 juniorachiever

I found a website called ''JC Learn'' To be really helpful. I'm doing my junior cert exams next week and I have been tipping away since December but I found it really tough to learn chapters as their was so much information. This website posts A graded notes and advice and stuff.. If it helps me maybe it can help you :)

Advertisement