Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to dispute when a company claims you owe a bill

Options
  • 16-05-2016 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

My father in law had a tv subscription with Virgin, they contacted him in January to let him know that they were discontinuing service in his area in April. He sent them a letter to cancel his subscription and cancelled his direct debit, and switched over to another provider. He began getting letters saying he owed them a final month's payment, which he disregarded assuming it was an error until they began stating it would be referred to a debt collection agency. Upon investigation it seems that they claim they had not received his letter of cancellation and only stopped service once the direct debit was cancelled. As a new service had been connected my FIL was none the wiser. Unfortunately, being an elderly person and not a computer user he had used pen and paper to correspond with them so has no back up of his letter. They do not accept that the account was cancelled and are continuing to pursue him. He's most upset, as a pensioner every penny counts, and cant understand why they wont accept his word that he did write. Is there anything he can do? It seems so unfair. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,033 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Their phone support is useless and the debt collectors won't care. The Talk To forum here is the only way left to get anything done; that or tweet Beardy (Richard Branson) about the damage they're doing to his reputation - you get a response pretty quick then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Explain what happened to comreg and see if they can help consumerline@comreg.ie .

Advertisement