Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Church Wedding or Humanist Wedding?

• 16-05-2016 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Guys I just wanted to resurrect this thread as I am in this situation now. I have actually booked a church but the wedding isn't for a long time so I can still change my decision. I was raised Catholic and my parents still go to mass every weekend. I go on people's anniversaries and at Christmas etc but not weekly and have long felt a disconnect from the church although I still have faith.
    My OH is not religious at all and neither are his family. He will get married in a church for me but doesn't particularly want to.
    I feel like a humanist ceremony which we can personalise to be a true reflection of us may be more suited to a ceremony where he is saying words he doesn't mean and making promises to a church that won't be kept. But I know my parents will be upset and I would rather not hurt them....part of me feels like I'm just going with the church to please them but part of me feels a connection to the church wedding too. im totally torn....!
    Ps I don't like conflict and would not want to cause a rift with my family. I know it's our day but it's also a big and important day for our families too

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Why are you prioritising your parents over your future husband?

Getting married is about making decisions together as a new family. If he's not religious, and you're only vaguely spiritual, it seems ridiculous to me that you'd get married in a church.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

My Oh has faith but doesn't attend mass etc and like your parents his parents go to mass weekly and are firm believers.

I on the other hand consider myself atheist although baptised Catholic, my own family are the same.

My Oh would have liked a church wedding, especially for his parents sake. I explained my reasonings and he understood and we had to come to an agreement. So we decided to go with an interfaith minister. The woman who is doing our ceremony was raised a Catholic. The ceremony can be as religious or secular as you like and that way everyone should be pleased!

Could this be an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Plankton1

Faith wrote: »
    Why are you prioritising your parents over your future husband?

Getting married is about making decisions together as a new family. If he's not religious, and you're only vaguely spiritual, it seems ridiculous to me that you'd get married in a church.

I think it's important to respect your parents beliefs and how they raised you too, I'm close to them and while I haven't gone to mass regularly in a couple of years, I did go with them when I lived at home. I suppose I'm torn because I half feel like marriage is really a sacrament that I should do in a church and half feel like it won't truly reflect us as a couple, it would just more reflect me and my family

My Oh has faith but doesn't attend mass etc and like your parents his parents go to mass weekly and are firm believers.

I on the other hand consider myself atheist although baptised Catholic, my own family are the same.

My Oh would have liked a church wedding, especially for his parents sake. I explained my reasonings and he understood and we had to come to an agreement. So we decided to go with an interfaith minister. The woman who is doing our ceremony was raised a Catholic. The ceremony can be as religious or secular as you like and that way everyone should be pleased!

Could this be an option?

Thanks so much, does an interfaith minister do a humanist ceremony or is it another type of ceremony altogether? I've never been to a non church wedding!

Plankton1 wrote: »
    Thanks so much, does an interfaith minister do a humanist ceremony or is it another type of ceremony altogether? I've never been to a non church wedding!

It can be as religious and include God as much as you like or not at all! They create the ceremony with you so you can choose all of your readings and poems etc.

Humanist is strictly non-religious where as an interfaith minister welcomes all religions or none if you prefer.

My celebrant is Geraldine Brown based in Galway. She seems lovely so far, our wedding is June next year :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I think it's important to respect your parents beliefs and how they raised you too, I'm close to them and while I haven't gone to mass regularly in a couple of years, I did go with them when I lived at home. I suppose I'm torn because I half feel like marriage is really a sacrament that I should do in a church and half feel like it won't truly reflect us as a couple, it would just more reflect me and my family

Respect doesn't mean you do something you're uncomfortable with. There were hints from some of our parents about having a church wedding but we're not hypocrites and didn't ever want religious elements in our day so their hints were gently rebuffed. You're marrying your partner, not honouring your parents' beliefs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

A humanist wedding comes across as a bit of a cop out; a church wedding without the religious bit. Given you were raised Catholic and your parents are practicing Catholics, it would be churlish not to have a church wedding.

A humanist wedding comes across as a bit of a cop out; a church wedding without the religious bit. Given you were raised Catholic and your parents are practicing Catholics, it would be churlish not to have a church wedding.

Eh...what?????

Eh...what?????

Ah don't mind that. Frosty has his/her own unique take on everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I don't understand the thinking that your wedding day has to be acceptable to your parents, why??? I wouldn't ever dream of telling my children what they should or shouldn't do on their special day. It's their day!!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,929 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Plankton1 I've given you your own thread for this. Often what happens if you post in an older thread is posters will only read the first few posts and then jump in with a reply, so this way you'll (hopefully) be getting advice more relevant to you.

I suppose it's partly not wanting to upset my parents but it's also partly my own internal dilemma because as I said I am a catholic! Maybe it's the guilt! Am I a hypocrite if I don't get married in a church but then I do baptise my kids and go to mass??

I suppose it's partly not wanting to upset my parents but it's also partly my own internal dilemma because as I said I am a catholic! Maybe it's the guilt! Am I a hypocrite if I don't get married in a church but then I do baptise my kids and go to mass??

No you're not a hypocrite. You don't have to go to mass to be Catholic or have faith.

What's to feel guilty about?
    Once I stopped going through the motions I realized not only did I not believe in God I disagreed with all the Catholic teachings on gay people and abortion and women. No guilt at all about leaving all that behind!

No you're not a hypocrite. You don't have to go to mass to be Catholic or have faith.

Pretty sure attending mass is required for Catholics!

lazygal wrote: »

No, it's not really.

You can have faith and follow the religion without attending the church to bow and kneel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Your wedding is not about your parents, it is about your relationship. I genuinely don't understand why someone would choose to celebrate their relationship by doing something that suits other people.
    Sit down with your partner and discuss something that would make you both happy (and only consider you both). I would recommend avoiding discussing this with people who may have an agenda.

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I think I'll sit down with my OH and look into an interfaith ceremony and what's involved, and then speak to my mother who is a reasonable lady and only wants us to be happy at the end of the day! I think I'm realising over the course of this thread that it's myself who is conflicted, it's not necessarily our views versus my parents. It's me versus me!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,318 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

lazygal wrote: »

Required? No. One is still a Catholic even though they may never attend mass.

OP as you identify as Catholic, there's a kicker you may (or may not ?) be aware of - your marriage is recognised by the RCC only if you get married in a Church. My marriage to my non-religious wife isn't recognised by the RCC because we got married in a civil ceremony in the local registry office. It was an intimate event and everyone enjoyed it.

I did particularly because not only was I marrying the girl I love, but I didn't have to be babysitting my family who can't behave themselves no matter what the occasion, they'll still try to make it all about themselves.

Obviously your family are important to you, and quite frankly I'd have been delighted to have my family's support, but supporting you should mean that your family will support your decision, rather than you having to base your decisions on what suits them. Marriage is of course about family, and the bigger the better, and you should remind your family of this when it comes to you making decisions for yourself.

I don't mean to be crude but your family won't be sharing the marital bed either, and by that I mean that there are some decisions are so fundamental in your relationship that the only people can make them are you and your future husband. Start as you mean to go on and if your family really and truly want to be understanding and supportive as Catholics themselves, then they will roll in behind you both and recognise that this is yours and your future husband's day, not theirs.

Apologies for the sermon, hadn't meant to be so long winded! That was another thing btw about a registry office wedding - short and sweet, €20 to the registrar for keeping it that way :D My brother and his wife spent €42k on their White Wedding day occasion, and my mother fell asleep mid-ceremony, snores like a bear... the in-laws were not amused :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭ChampagnePop

I think the problem with parents paying for the wedding is they start to think they have a say in everything, including the service. Hope you find a solution that fits you OP, my OH would not have had a church wedding, my family don't know yet, it won't go down well :(

• Advertisement

I think the problem with parents paying for the wedding is they start to think they have a say in everything, including the service. Hope you find a solution that fits you OP, my OH would not have had a church wedding, my family don't know yet, it won't go down well :(

Mine aren't even paying ha! It's a toughie champagnepop...good luck too!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Purple410

We're going interfaith for somewhat similar reasons. I'm not a humanist so marrying under them didn't quite right either. I wasn't gonna do church for other people either though. We got a really fab interfaith minister, who has helped us craft a ceremony that is for us. Part of us being happy is that we include other people's beliefs. We did this by incorporating some pauses where people of some faiths might say a prayer and they are free to do so in their head. For others who wouldn't do this they can think about whatever they like! I'm aiming to be respectful of the range of beliefs and traditions, but the ceremony has to reflect us as a couple first and foremost. I know some probably will moan either way, and I'm cool with that. Respecting their viewpoint does not mean that our ceremony will be what they would prefer. I'm being respectful, not a pushover! Hopefully I only get to do this once, so I feel I've got to be true to me and true to us. It's good you are discussing it and thinking through options. We had to take a lot of time looking at options and reading books about ceremonies and vows to decide what was right. I hope you find what will work for you both

Mine aren't even paying ha! It's a toughie champagnepop...good luck too!

Oh sorry - don't know where that came from!

I'm just sad I'll be letting down my granparents, I won't change my mind, but it's the first non-church wedding in the family.

I've been reading examples of humanist ceremonies and they're really beautiful, they feel so right for me and my OH, not for everyone I know, it has to be what suits you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Go with what feels right for you at the end of the day. I know for myself a church wedding would be important but it's what I would want and not because my parents would want it.
    One thing I often notice is people often go flapping around trying to make there parents happy when in fact there not overly bothered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I don't know how would it work in Ireland but I have been to weddings where civil bit has to be separate and only one partner got married at church wedding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

If, as you say you see marriage as a sacrament and that is important to you, then it seems like Church wedding is only real option for you as my understanding would be that is how the catholic sacrament works etc. (open to correction)

We had a humanist ceremony, and I've been to a few catholic and humanist ceremonies since and one interfaith (i think).
    Personally, what I dislike about Church ceremonies is that the focus is to a large extent on God and your commitments to him.
    In some cases it has really felt like the marriage has just been squeezed into a mass, almost as an inconvenience.

In all other ceremonies I have seen, the focus is the marriage and your commitments to each other, which to me is far more important.

Although I don't believe in doing things a certain way just to keep parents happy, I understand that it can be a consideration, and for some people it actually is important.
    In some cases one person (or both)will not be happy on the day unless their parents are also happy; which is not unreasonable either.
    Only you and your OH can decide what is best for you guys.

thanks for that! I am thinking that a compromise may be the church ceremony without the mass bit, and asking our priest about including more personal elements to it for example some priests will allow handfasting, having a poem written by a family member recited, including some music that is meaningful to my OH...this may be the way to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,143 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I suppose I'm torn because I half feel like marriage is really a sacrament that I should do in a church and half feel like it won't truly reflect us as a couple, it would just more reflect me and my family

Don't want to sound mean,, but if you really think that marriage is a sacrament, then you need to be asking yourself if marrying someone who does not believe the same thing is a good idea. Can you have a sacramental marriage with someone who doesn't believe in God?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I think I'll sit down with my OH and look into an interfaith ceremony and what's involved, and then speak to my mother who is a reasonable lady and only wants us to be happy at the end of the day! I think I'm realising over the course of this thread that it's myself who is conflicted, it's not necessarily our views versus my parents. It's me versus me!!

Pankton I'm an Interfatih Minister, feel free to PM me if I can help with any questions :-) <3

• Advertisement

Don't want to sound mean,, but if you really think that marriage is a sacrament, then you need to be asking yourself if marrying someone who does not believe the same thing is a good idea. Can you have a sacramental marriage with someone who doesn't believe in God?

Well he does believe in God he just doesn't identify as Catholic or have anything to do with organised religion. I suppose I feel that marriage is like communion, confirmation etc as in it's one of the rituals within the church that I was raised as a part of. I don't feel it will affect our life together. And yes I 100% should be marrying him:)

This is really not helpful to the OP's predicament.

I didn't see her asking if she should marry this man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

You can. I have two friends who did just that. In bot cases brides were not religious and had no sacraments. The ceremony can be the same, except signatures and maybe some minor details that I didn't notice. Only one partner is married in the eyes of the church. Because civil part has to be done separately where I come from anyway it was much of a muchness.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Ruailebuile

We are getting married next year and are having a Humanist. I did not want to get married in a church so it was not an option of the OH who didn't care either way. Both our parents are relatively religious so we were a bit worried about how it would go down particularly on his side but we announced it right away and all were fine. We met our Humanist recently and he was open to having the local parish priest at the ceremony if we wanted (we certainly don't) but I though that was nice if you did want to appease parents in some way.
    Honestly, it's your wedding so you need to put you first and whatever decision you make ensure that you won't have any regrets.

I know you didn't mean it to sound mean Mrs OB, and technically you're correct about how the Church views marriage between a Catholic and a non-Catholic, but there's really no way to put that which doesn't sound terrible (even though of course it was unintentional) -

Full Question

Are non-Catholic marriages valid in the eyes of the Catholic Church? What if a Catholic marries a non-Catholic?

Answer

In general, marriages between non-Catholics, of whatever religion, are considered valid, but the situation is not as simple as it sounds because there are two kinds of marriage: natural (ordinary) marriage and supernatural (sacramental) marriage. Supernatural marriages exist only between baptized people, so marriages between two Jews or two Muslims are only natural marriages. Assuming no impediments, marriages between Jews or Muslims would be valid natural marriages. Marriages between two Protestants or two Eastern Orthodox also would be valid, presuming no impediments, but these would be supernatural (sacramental) marriages and thus indissoluble.

When one spouse is a Catholic and the other is a non-Catholic--this is commonly termed a "mixed marriage"--the situation changes. Just as the state has the power to regulate marriages of its citizens by requiring them to get a blood test or to marry in front of a competent authority, so the Church has the right to regulate the marriages of its "citizens."

If one participant is a Catholic who has not left the Church by a formal act, such as by officially joining another church, he must obtain a dispensation for the marriage, which would otherwise be blocked by the mixed-marriage impediment or by the disparity of cult impediment. A Catholic who has not left the Church by a formal act also must obtain a dispensation to be married in front of a non-Catholic minister. If either of these dispensations is not obtained, the marriage will be invalid.

Source: catholic.com

Well he does believe in God he just doesn't identify as Catholic or have anything to do with organised religion. I suppose I feel that marriage is like communion, confirmation etc as in it's one of the rituals within the church that I was raised as a part of. I don't feel it will affect our life together. And yes I 100% should be marrying him:)

OP I don't think Mrs OB meant it in a bad way, but it's just another thing that should be considered is all given that you identify as Catholic and you view marriage as a sacrament. I wouldn't view my marriage as a sacramental marriage, but I'm ok with that, but it absolutely does affect many different areas of our life together.

It may not for you, and I do hope it doesn't, but it's absolutely something you both should be discussing or have discussed between yourselves already. These are the kinds of fundamental decisions within your relationship that I was referring to earlier. I mean, already you're having a dilemma about the wedding venue and the type of wedding ceremony you would like (have you contacted a Unitarian Church? They're usually alright about these things - you get the Church venue and none of the religion, I think that's sort of how it works anyway, don't quote me on that :o).

But one of the things that constantly comes up across numerous forums here on Boards is when children enter the picture - you won't have to deal with that of course if you and your partner have decided you're not having children, but if you're both planning on having children, now is the time to be discussing whether they would be baptised and decisions made with regard to their education and so on.

Already your partner doesn't want a church wedding and you do seem to be leaning more towards the idea of having a humanist ceremony, but that's just the wedding day, it's the marriage afterwards is where you both need to be thinking well ahead and discussing your plans, because all too often I read on Boards and I meet couples in my daily life who only got round to talking about these things after they were married.

I don't know if you've both decided you want children or not, but in our own case at least, my wife and I had discussed all these things long before we were married (I think the shortest discussion we ever had on the issue of children was when I told her I wanted six children, and she told me go fcuk myself... that clearly wasn't a runner :pac:).

Seriously though, the fact we didn't have a religious ceremony was no impediment to having our child baptised and sending him to a religious ethos school. We didn't choose to have our child baptised just to meet the enrollment criteria of the particular school we sent our child to, and the religious criteria for enrollment is now actually done away with in all national schools, so you won't need to baptise your children if you and your husband decide not to.

I hope that doesn't confuse and frustrate you OP any more than I'm sure you already are, but these really are important things you and your future husband need to talk about and work out what the plan is, because it's what happens after the wedding ceremony is your marriage and everything else that's a part of that, no matter what type of ceremony you actually eventually decide upon together.

I wouldn't assume a Catholic who married in a church did so because of the sacrament. I think in a lot of cases it's chosen as the venue because it looks nice or it has an emotional connection to the family or because of tradition etc. I'm an atheist married to someone who identifies as Catholic ( although he hasn't been near a church in years ). He didn't have any qualms getting involved with a non believer and it was never really an issue when we got married. I'd imagine if the religious aspect was really important to one party it would have been indentifed much earlier than the wedding planning stage.

• Advertisement

...I wouldn't view my marriage as a sacramental marriage, but I'm ok with that, but it absolutely does affect many different areas of our life together.

It may not for you, and I do hope it doesn't, but it's absolutely something you both should be discussing or have discussed between yourselves already. These are the kinds of fundamental decisions within your relationship that I was referring to earlier. ....

I hope that doesn't confuse and frustrate you OP any more than I'm sure you already are, but these really are important things you and your future husband need to talk about and work out what the plan is, because it's what happens after the wedding ceremony is your marriage and everything else that's a part of that, no matter what type of ceremony you actually eventually decide upon together.

+10000 to all of that.

I know full well it sounds "terrible". But I'd far rather ask a highly-relevant "terrible" question than not about this sort of topic. Until the OP is married, it's still not a given that she will marry the person she is engaged to. Proper marriage preparation will involve deep thought and discussions about lots of topics - and in come cases the realisation that the person you are engaged to is not the person you should marry.

If someone thinks that marriage is a sacrament, and they're marrying someone who doesn't - then that's potentially setting them up for a marriage to fail unless they've worked things out very well between themselves beforehand.

(FWIW, my own situation is even more complicated. As far as I'm concerned, the only point of a wedding to to ritually invoke God's blessing on a sacramental life-long covenant between two people - and the legals are irrelevant. As far as he's concerned, God doesn't exist and the legals are all that matters. I can see us doing a 15-minute job in a registry office just to get the tax-benefits, even though what I really believe in is a church-wedding without the frippery.)

+10000 to all of that.

I know full well it sounds "terrible". But I'd far rather ask a highly-relevant "terrible" question than not about this sort of topic. Until the OP is married, it's still not a given that she will marry the person she is engaged to. Proper marriage preparation will involve deep thought and discussions about lots of topics - and in come cases the realisation that the person you are engaged to is not the person you should marry.

If someone thinks that marriage is a sacrament, and they're marrying someone who doesn't - then that's potentially setting them up for a marriage to fail unless they've worked things out very well between themselves beforehand

I'm sure given they are engaged to be married they have discussed at length what they hope and want for their future and lives together.

What the OP doesn't need however is her impending marriage questioned due to different belief systems.Wouldn't life be very VERY boring if we all ended up with people who had the same opinions, thoughts and feelings on everything?

Marriage is about compromise,understanding, respect, commitment to one another and accepting each other's flaws (perceived or otherwise) and differences, oh and let's not forget LOVE.

It sounds like the OP has a very mature relationship and they are working towards what is best for their future together. It sounds like a recipe for a great life and I wish them all the best.

I'm sure given they are engaged to be married they have discussed at length what they hope and want for their future and lives together.

I'm sure given they are engaged to be married, and yet the OP has ended up here on Boards with questions that she should be discussing with her future husband; they've glossed over every important issue that they should be discussing at length in order to have have any hope for their future and lives together.

The OP laid out a few considerations in her opening post, and right off the bat was advised that she shouldn't have any regard for her parents and what they may want. Not only does that advice ignore what the OP said, but it's also guaranteed to cause conflict, which the OP said she didn't want.

What the OP doesn't need however is her impending marriage questioned due to different belief systems. Wouldn't life be very VERY boring if we all ended up with people who had the same opinions, thoughts and feelings on everything?

But that is your outlook on life, which works for you (works for my wife and I too as it happens, we're practically chalk and cheese), but some people also value compatibility and it does help if people are at least somewhere on the same page as regards their outlook on life, because after they're married, their shared outlook on life is as important as their individual outlooks on life (sometimes I wonder if the only reason my wife and I are still together after 20 years is because we hardly ever see each other :pac:). It's not a strategy that works for everyone, but it works for us, both as a couple, and as individuals. What works for the OP and her future husband however may be something else entirely.

Personally, I like a boring life with a routine where I know what I'm doing every day, and I have the space and support and understanding from my wife when I need to be flexible, and my wife likes that she has her independence and flexibility and my support to do whatever she does.

That may or may not work for the OP, but my wife often reminds me that there aren't too many women who would put up with my shyte, and that's something I'm very much all too aware of from my experiences before I met my wife, and from the experiences of other women I talk to about these things.

Marriage is about compromise,understanding, respect, commitment to one another and accepting each other's flaws (perceived or otherwise) and differences, oh and let's not forget LOVE.

Aye, and those things are all great, but as Mrs OB points out above, marriage is also about a legal contract between two people, and that privilege of having their marriage recognised by the State, carries with it certain responsibilities and obligations, and these are absolutely just as important as all of the things you mention above, they're all intertwined and they're all part of marriage.

Understanding all these things helps to avoid situations where I'm talking to a woman who has finalised her divorce a few weeks earlier, tells me she's not religious herself, but that she feels her daughter with dyspraxia isn't prepared Confirmation and she feels the school isn't doing enough, and her ex-husband isn't any help. And that's on a regular day! :pac:

It sounds like the OP has a very mature relationship and they are working towards what is best for their future together. It sounds like a recipe for a great life and I wish them all the best.

I wish them all the best too, absolutely, but when the OP mentions stuff like this -

And the fact that her future husband is only reluctantly agreeing to a Church wedding because the OP is Catholic and values her family and doesn't want conflict, I really wonder just how prepared are they for marriage, and when the OP talks about having her children baptised, I really do wonder have they had that conversation, because if the current dilemma about wedding ceremonies is any indication, there's definitely a lot more preparation needs to be done and groundwork needing to be laid before they get married.

You're reading a lot into the OPs relationship Jack!

I don't think posting here and asking for outside opinions is a bad thing, sometimes it helps to get the perspective of a third party. Not sharing the same belief systems doesn't mean your not compatible, if they have reached the point of planning a wedding I'd imagine they are compatible. I would be total different to my husband in a lot of ways too but we have enough in common to keep us connected. We don't share a faith but it's never caused a problem, it leads to some interesting debates though! But I think it's healthy particularly when you have kids not to be carbon copies of each other.

There are always things to be worked out and compromises to be made, that's the nature of a long term relationship. I'm sure they will work it out.

eviltwin wrote: »
    You're reading a lot into the OPs relationship Jack!

I don't think posting here and asking for outside opinions is a bad thing, sometimes it helps to get the perspective of a third party. Not sharing the same belief systems doesn't mean your not compatible, if they have reached the point of planning a wedding I'd imagine they are compatible. I would be total different to my husband in a lot of ways too but we have enough in common to keep us connected. We don't share a faith but it's never caused a problem, it leads to some interesting debates though! But I think it's healthy particularly when you have kids not to be carbon copies of each other.

There are always things to be worked out and compromises to be made, that's the nature of a long term relationship. I'm sure they will work it out.

This is exactly what I wanted to say but you said it much more eloquently. That and I'm too lazy for long posts :p

• Advertisement

Wow! I didn't expect this to turn into a debate about whether I should marry my fiancé or not haha!

We have discussed this at length and also discussed future children, baptism and the role religion would play in their lives. I posted the original question because, as someone who has never been to a wedding outside a church and actually not been to many weddings at all, I don't have anyone to chat to about it who may be or have been in the same position and able to give advice. I am new to all of this so do appreciate the helpful posts and opinions that have been shared here.

Having been with my fiancé for over a decade i know we are ready for marriage beyond the wedding day and he has been nothing but supportive about the ceremony issue....maybe this forum should be in place of the pre-marriage course eh! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I'll chime in here, op, my parents were in a "mixed marriage" in the 70's- both sets of parents were fine with that but weirdly it was my Dads brothers (Catholic) who had a major issue, especially as my parents then raised and baptised is as Church of Ireland. I believe my parents got married in one Church and had a blessing in the other for family members who wouldn't set foot in the other Church (it was the 70's and there were some old schoolers there on both sides!!)

Cut to now and both my brothers are also in "mixed marriages"- one of my brothers had a registers office wedding (just immediate family, on a weekday) and then had a church blessings in the hotel which was the wedding day wedding, if you know what I mean? It worked well, I think. Dad was kept happy because even though he doesn't have a strong faith he likes tradition.

Last year my other brother married a Seikh Indian in England and it was entirely non-religious (although they managed to sneak a Celtic hand-fasting in, not sure how!). Again it worked well and I don't think anyone noticed anything.

Myself and my partner don't have the option of a Church wedding (which saves a lot of aggro), but even then we'd be classed as a mixed marriage too! Neither of us see ourselves as Christian in our faith though, so that's ok. But our humanist minister seems super accomodating, so we will work some elements of spirituality in somewhat.

I guess what i'm saying is that a non religious ceremony doesn't have to be boring and strict. Ou can incorporate lots of the same elements as a religious wedding. I would say make sure that your partner is happy to receive the blessings and all that during your wedding if you go for a Church wedding. I would not, even though if my partner really wanted it I'd probably go along with it. But it'd piss me off a bit I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

A Humanist wedding is definitely not for you from reading the thread.

Here is the FAQ for a what a Humanist Wedding entails - http://humanism.ie/2015/05/faq-about-humanist-weddings/

While Humanism has a tolerance of others beliefs, a Humanist wedding ceremony itself is completely secular and non religious. Which from your posts its clear is not what you believe in.

I think the option of a interfaith minister and working with your partner as to what suits you both the best is what you should do, I would forget about your parents or anybody else's wants and concentrate on what will make the day special for both of you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭scream

When you strip it all back a wedding is just about 2 people. Perhaps the best thing is a Registry office. I know a lot of people like Humanist ceremonies, but frankly I find Humanist ceremonies a little ridiculous and pretentious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

scream wrote: »
    When you strip it all back a wedding is just about 2 people. Perhaps the best thing is a Registry office. I know a lot of people like Humanist ceremonies, but frankly I find Humanist ceremonies a little ridiculous and pretentious.

Ridiculous in what way? It's just another type of ceremony with your own little touch added to it. We are having a Humanist one as we didn't want a church one, but also felt a civil one in a registry office wasn't really enough for us and we wanted to add some music and readings and wanted to have in in the hotel too.
    So i really don't know why you would think they are ridiculous or pretentious as it's definitely not that.

You could argue a civil ceremony is pretentious and says 'we're so in love that we don't need all of the bells and whistles, wait there while I look down on you from my pedestal'.

It doesn't let's be clear, but you could say the same about ANY type of ceremony. Everyone has different tastes and there is no right or wrong.

I don't think there's anything wrong with not wanting a humanist ceremony, but there's really no need to be so nasty about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

I would hope that a wedding is about love and commitment, and that's what the ceremonial part is about- the couple overtly stating their intentions for marriage in front of their closest friends and family.

If someone thinks that's ridiculous & pretentious, well that's their own business ;-)

I don't think there's anything wrong with not wanting a humanist ceremony, but there's really no need to be so nasty about it.

There's nothing nasty there.

"Humanist ceremonies are a little ridiculous and pretentious" would be nasty (just).

"I find humanist ceremonies ceremonies a little ridiculous and pretentious" is just a statement of how someone find them. Not right or wrong, just a statement of one person's perspective.

Personally, unless I know that the couple really are motivated by humanist principles and doctrines, then I also find them a little ridiculous and pretentious. Why not just be honest about your values and separate the legal document signing (done at the registry office) from the speeches and whatever music, poems, vows etc you want to have in a non-regulated manner at the party.

This poster suggested the OP do a registry office wedding which is not really what they want given the content of the posts.

They also went on to suggest humanist weddings are ridiculous and pretentious which, may well be their opinion but this opinion could also be applied to any ceremony, including a registry office.

The OP didn't ask peoples opinions on what these ceremonies are like (pretentious or otherwise) so it's dragging it OT.

• Advertisement
Advertisement