Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many weeks pregant to get early scan.

Options
  • 16-05-2016 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all.

I 6weeks pregant, living in Kerry. I had a miscarriage 2years ago so I am very worried this time around. My go said she would get me an early scan, does anybody know how early Kerry General scan??

I am constantly worried for the past few weeks since I found out I was pregnant. I think I'm not getting as many symptoms as I was with my first pregnancy before miscarriage. I do feel a bit sick during the day and Boobs are sore on and off. I was getting cramps round when I missed my period, still getting pain but feel the same as earlier cramps. Got a tiny amount of blood in discharge when I wipe after peering. Sorry if there is a little tmi here but I would be grateful for any advise. Tia ðŸ˜႒

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

I would seek medical advice Huge.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Moved to Pregnancy forum.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

hugle85 wrote: »
    Hi all.

I 6weeks pregant, living in Kerry. I had a miscarriage 2years ago so I am very worried this time around. My go said she would get me an early scan, does anybody know how early Kerry General scan??

I am constantly worried for the past few weeks since I found out I was pregnant. I think I'm not getting as many symptoms as I was with my first pregnancy before miscarriage. I do feel a bit sick during the day and Boobs are sore on and off. I was getting cramps round when I missed my period, still getting pain but feel the same as earlier cramps. Got a tiny amount of blood in discharge when I wipe after peering. Sorry if there is a little tmi here but I would be grateful for any advise. Tia ðŸ˜႒

Get your GP to refer you to the hospital for an early scan. They should be able to do it now, but maybe not until 7 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 hugle85

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Get your GP to refer you to the hospital for an early scan. They should be able to do it now, but maybe not until 7 weeks.

Thanks Ciarrai, my gp said she would refer me for an early scan but you know tralee General! Just a nervous wreaked with worry

Thanks Ciarrai, my gp said she would refer me for an early scan but you know tralee General! Just a nervous wreaked with worry

You could get a private scan in Scotia clinic up in Manor, Tralee, but it would be about €100. I think your GP would have to refer you there too & I don't know how quickly you'd get it. See when the general would book you in, it might be fairly quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

I had early bleeding in this pregnancy at 5 weeks and I was told that there was no point in scanning me until after 6 weeks. They scanned me at 6w4d and they could pick up the heartbeats at that stage.

I was post m/c too so I understand how stressful it is.

*Hugs*

brokensoul wrote: »
    I had early bleeding in this pregnancy at 5 weeks and I was told that there was no point in scanning me until after 6 weeks. They scanned me at 6w4d and they could pick up the heartbeats at that stage.

I was post m/c too so I understand how stressful it is.

*Hugs*

Thanks broken soul. It is very nerve wreaking, I'm worrying over the littlest thing which can't be good for the baba. Hope everything is going ok for you.😊

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    You could get a private scan in Scotia clinic up in Manor, Tralee, but it would be about €100. I think your GP would have to refer you there too & I don't know how quickly you'd get it. See when the general would book you in, it might be fairly quick.

I'm going to my gp tomorrow so I will ask her to refer me to the Scotia clinic too and see which I get first. I wouldn't mind paying€100 for peace of mind. My blood results came back today and they are all clear so that's put my mind a bit at ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭lauratkd

In two pregnancies I had scans at 5 weeks. Both were because of previous complications and just to see that the implantation was in the correct place. Heartbeat wasn't visible until about 6 weeks though. Such a difficult and looooong time waiting to find out if it's all going to be ok. Good luck though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I'd suggest waiting til 7 weeks. It gives it a few extra days in case your dates are off by a day or two but is still early enough to be worth it vs waiting til 12 weeks.

Call the ultrasound place as they may not need a referral and if not you save the gp fees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

Be careful about booking in too early.
    I was scanned last week and they couldn't see much. Having already had a miscarriage in 2014 I am now feeling awful. So stressed and upset about it. Hopefully my scan was just too early. The person scanning me said that 7 weeks is the earliest she likes to see anyone as scanning any earlier can cause more stress than it's worth.
    She sent me off to wait TWO WEEKS for another scan. Ugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

We went through the Merrion fertility unit. The nurses there won't scan till you are 7 weeks ( we were 7 weeks and 2 days). They said sometimes you can pick up the heart beat from 6 weeks, but more often then not you can just see the yolk sack. This often stresses patients out and cause unnecessary anxiety

Bets of luck Hugle xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭sinead81

I went to Blackrock in Dublin when I was 7 weeks for my scan!

Isolt wrote: »
    Be careful about booking in too early.
    I was scanned last week and they couldn't see much. Having already had a miscarriage in 2014 I am now feeling awful. So stressed and upset about it. Hopefully my scan was just too early. The person scanning me said that 7 weeks is the earliest she likes to see anyone as scanning any earlier can cause more stress than it's worth.
    She sent me off to wait TWO WEEKS for another scan. Ugh!

The waiting is awful! Hopefully it was just to early to see a heart beat. I have my fingers crossed for you💖my go said I should get a scan in afew week's when I was at her last week. Feeling unreal morning sickness these days and sooo tired. I could sleep for Ireland!

I'd suggest waiting til 7 weeks. It gives it a few extra days in case your dates are off by a day or two but is still early enough to be worth it vs waiting til 12 weeks.

Call the ultrasound place as they may not need a referral and if not you save the gp fees.

I rang the ultrasound place and I need a referral from my gp or a doctor in the hospital like if I had to go to A&E, but that would not be on the same day as they are very busy

I rang the ultrasound place and I need a referral from my gp or a doctor in the hospital like if I had to go to A&E, but that would not be on the same day as they are very busy

Did you see your GP yet? Get them to send the referral letter to both the clinic and to the hospital. See where you get an appointment for the quickest and then you can cancel the other one.

I know that there's a place above Garvey's in Rock street that do scans, but only on certain days of the week. They are advertising some appointments for tomorrow (Tuesday 24th). I don't know if they'll do early scans, but maybe no harm calling them. I've copied the info from their FB page:

The doctor will be able to tell you the results of the scan at the time.
    There are still a few appointments left for PREGNANCY SCAN:
    * Tomorrow at 4pm & 5pm
    and
    * Wednesday the 25th May at 1pm, 3pm & 5pm.

Don't wait until the last minute as places are strictly limited.
    Bio Force Medical & Dental Clinic
    0667180787 / 0873212965

https://www.facebook.com/bioforceclinic/?fref=ts

Advertisement