Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle question

Options
  • 16-05-2016 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi all! Was thinking of getting a kindle but not sure how it works! If I buy one will it work in Ireland? How does buying books off it work? Are the prices in euros or pounds? Will I be able to buy books off it in euros? Do the books take long to download? Any info would help as I do t know a lot about it thanks. Was also thinking of getting a kobo e reader but can't decide which! Anyone know which one is best?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

I can't say anything about the Kobo. I have had a Kindle for many years and love it.
    You can buy Kindles at Argos, IMO the Paperwhite is the best option as the screen is illuminated, but not like a mobile phone. Its a very gentle, non-blinding light which is also adjustable.
    When you first start the Kindle, it will ask you to register it to your Amazon account (either co.uk or .com, whichever one you use, so prices will be either in Pound Sterling or US Dollars, but you pay using the method you usually use when buying off Amazon). That's where you will buy your ebooks - look for Kindle editions. This is the easiest way to get ebooks.
    There are always some free ebooks hanging around, if you want to try some out (there is a daily newletter at bookbub.com with very cheap or free ebooks).
    You can buy ebooks directly from your KIndle (using the shop) or as usual using your browser off Amazon. Either way, they will be delivered to your Kindle automatically. Once you disable Airplane (battery saving / standard mode) on your KIndle it will connect to your WiFi and automatically download any books you have bought. The download, depending on your WiFi speed is very quick, usually less than a minute.

In general, there are several ebook file formats. Amazon has its own proprietary one, but the Kindle will also use .mobi without any problems. Your are not limited to getting ebooks via Amazon, the KIndle will handle any ebook in .mobi format. It's just a bit more involved getting them from your PC to the Kindle. To do that, the easiest way is via Calibre (a library program), which can also handle file conversions to mobi and send books up to your Kindle from the PC via USB cable.

Hope this has cleared up some of your questions. Go for it, it has made life so much easier.

Pictures say more than a thousand words, so a Youtube Video how to use a Kindle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 J_J

Thank you

Advertisement