Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noise pollution issue, can I withhold rent?

Options
  • 17-05-2016 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Is noise pollution a viable reason to withhold rent? I've told the landlord twice about it.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Pixxer wrote: »
    Is noise pollution a viable reason to withhold rent? I've told the landlord twice about it.

No, it's not. There are pretty much no scenarios where withholding rent is the appropriate response.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Pixxer

Really?Why not, it's in breach of the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Really?Why not, it's in breach of the lease.

You have no right to withhold rent. if you have an issue with your landlord and it is not being remedied as per the lease or the landlord's responsibilities then you can go through the PRTB for resolution.

//edit Holy thread resurection.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'm genuinely curious- what measures do you imagine a landlord would take to abate noise pollution? Noise pollution is a feature of particular locations- in most cases the primary manner of dealing with this issue is either by getting used to it (as most people do)- or by moving (where you fail to get accustomed to it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Split to new thread. OP please do not resurrect ancient unrelated threads to start a discussion. Thanks

Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Two wrongs do not make a right. Withholding rent is illegal in every situation.

Out of interest can you give details of noise pollution. Maybe it is a breach of peaceful enjoyment which every tenant is entitled to. However the landlord needs to have specifically created it, not where it's part of the environment in which you live eg busy street or noisy neighbours.

Advertisement