Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shooter [USA] [** Spoilers **]

• 17-05-2016 7:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭

Starts this Summer. Stephen Hunter's books are excellent, so I have high hopes for this. Ryan Phillippe stars as Bob Lee Swagger, an ex-Army sniper called in to consult on an assassination threat. It's a pity that they went with Point of Impact (the same source book used for the Mark Wahlberg movie of the same name from 2007). There are 8 other Bob Lee Swagger books they could have used for source material...

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Is that not just turning the Wahlberg movie into a TV series?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Pretty much, yeah.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Mr E wrote: »
    Pretty much, yeah.

I enjoyed the movie, but that's all it was, a good movie, I don't know how you're going to turn a 2 hour movie into a full TV show, even for 1 series, lots and lots of padding I'm guessing.

It was a good long book (nearly 600 pages), so I expect that some of it was trimmed for the movie.

The TV show could become the definitive version. It's only 10 episodes, so it could be the perfect length.

It was a good long book (nearly 600 pages), so I expect that some of it was trimmed for the movie.

The TV show could become the definitive version. It's only 10 episodes, so it could be the perfect length.

I guess it could work, I don't think I'll watch it weekly, might binge at some stage, knowing the start and finish would annoy me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,007 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The great William Fichtner to guest star on the show hopefully it can become a recurring role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Not buying Ryan Philippe in the role for one second to be honest.

It actually looks pretty good but having seen the film (assuming of course it follows the book) it would seem kind of pointless to watch with any great interest.

I like Omar Eppps too so I'm kind of torn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭Heckler

Love the book and the character.

Nope. Wahlsberg's interpretation seems better from initial impressions. This looks pretty iffy.

The great William Fichtner to guest star on the show hopefully it can become a recurring role.

Elevates any mediocre show.

Huge Stephen Hunter fan.

How Hollywood hasn't gotton its paws on "Hot Springs" is beyond me. A book begging to be filmed.

He writes gun fights like no other. The firefight scene in Time to Hunt is cinematic in its words.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,566 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I don't mind the film. Underwhelmed by the trailer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,981 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

http://www.channelguidemag.com/tv-news/2016/07/01/shooter-ryan-phillippe-has-swagger-in-usa-thriller/

Marine sniper Bob Lee Swagger is lured into a mission to save the president that goes horribly awry.
    From there, Swagger’s story gets a 2016, TV-friendly update at the hands of The Shield’s John Hlavin, who wrote the pilot.
    Swagger’s now an Afghanistan war vet and instead of a mountain-man recluse, he’s a married dad who just wants some peace. FBI agent Memphis is now Nadine not Nick.
    Swagger comes out of retirement to aid Secret Service agent Isaac Johnson, his former commanding officer, the conspiracy story that results when Johnson’s plot leaves Swagger on the run and bent on justice is ripped from today’s headlines.

Short seasons like 10 episodes could work for this story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Well that's understandable really surprised it's only delayed for a week.

Pulled from the summer schedule completely.

I'd say it will now get a mid season premiere.

Shooter will be the latest show to air weekly on Netflix here starting on November 16th.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭OCEANIC FIZZY POP NINE

Nearly here!

Starts tonight in the States and hits Netflix here tomorrow morning.

Enjoyable pilot following pretty much the same story line of the film.

Just a pity it was a single episode and not a double.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

Not bad. Hoped it would be grittier. Not sure why he has a big fancy jeep and a family!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,566 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Yeah, not bad. Time to go pumpkin hunting.

Pretty decent, I enjoyed that. I agree with AC, it should have been a double.

Well, if you're ever being framed, don't forget to jump out the window and land on a car, just for handiness sake.

As a huge fan of the books and a 7/10 for the Whalberg film it was alright.

Has potential. For all it being about a sniper and all about elevation this and angles that etc. ( the USA flag graphic rolling down during one of the shots was fairly puke) the idea that you put the crosshairs plum on a target at 1500m and score a hit....:rolleyes:

The second the bullet is off its dropping, at 1500m the crosshairs would be well high of the target and gauging wind, would be way left or right. Thats whats makes good shooters. Doping wind. Thats why target shooters place flags at intervals along a distance. Anyone can place a crosshair on an object. Doesn't mean you are gonna hit it.

Very often you see 1000yd + shooters have a kind of remote to fire so they don't have to even touch the gun so as not to knock it off. At those distances they are masters at doping.

Normally no problem with hollywood liberties but when the show is specifically built around a sniper c'mon. Surely they had some expert on set.

The Stephen Hunter Swagger series (Bob Lee and his father Earl) is ripe for the screen. His written action sequences are often better than anything I've seen on the screen.

No problem updating Bob Lee from Vietnam to Iraq but please leave Earl Swaggers back story alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Heckler wrote: »
    As a huge fan of the books and a 7/10 for the Whalberg film it was alright.

Has potential. For all it being about a sniper and all about elevation this and angles that etc. ( the USA flag graphic rolling down during one of the shots was fairly puke) the idea that you put the crosshairs plum on a target at 1500m and score a hit....:rolleyes:

The second the bullet is off its dropping, at 1500m the crosshairs would be well high of the target and gauging wind, would be way left or right. Thats whats makes good shooters. Doping wind. Thats why target shooters place flags at intervals along a distance. Anyone can place a crosshair on an object. Doesn't mean you are gonna hit it.

We DO see him adjusting the turrets on the scope, so I'd not be too concerned about the crosshairs-on-target thing. That's what zeroing is all about.

What really ground my gears was seeing what's supposed to be a 'gun guy', in a very well equipped gun workshop, using a hardware shop adjustable wrench to mount a scope! :eek:

Also, pumpkins are truly crappy zeroing targets :D

I really enjoyed episode 2 as well the story is moving along at a good pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,875 ✭✭✭budhabob

This looks promising.

Yeah, built nicely on the first episode. The conspiracy stuff is a handled a little better than that of Designated Survivor.

• Advertisement

Not a bad show but having seen the movie there isn't any real twists in it, I was hoping they'd change it up a lot from the movie.

I haven't seen the movie (or read the book) for years so I can't remember the twists.

Episode 2 was terrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Its a bit of a cheesefest at times but by god its an enjoyable cheesefest.

And his missus is worth tuning in for too.

It's a little daft, but I don't mind that.

The hand-to-hand fighting seemed a little Bourne.

A good episode they really are keeping the story moving.

• Advertisement

Great episode, but I the only disappointed there wasn't a RKO out of no where???

Those militia lads were a little too welcoming and very 'this is what we believe!!!' Omar Epps just manages to skulk around everywhere. :pac:

Good episode anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Well first it's delayed, now it seams to be a hit and it's already renewed for Season 2

USA's Shooter Renewed for Season 2
    http://tvline.com/2016/12/19/shooter-renewed-season-2-usa-network/

Delighted! 9 books of material (10 by next year).

Is Black Light next?

William Fichtner just improved a very good show.

• Advertisement

This is a great show, complete surprise that it would be this good, it's almost on the "Must Watch" list

Yeah the latest episode in the mountains was excellent.

It was a good episode, I really would prefer though if they wouldn't just show the cross hairs in the middle of the target and show some of the adjustments that have to take place for a long range shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Clareman wrote: »
    It was a good episode, I really would prefer though if they wouldn't just show the cross hairs in the middle of the target and show some of the adjustments that have to take place for a long range shot.

Yes I was thinking the same myself.

It is was as easy as putting the crosshairs on the target and pulling the trigger everyone would be able to do it!

It's disappointing when the show is built around long range shooting.

Saying that though, I am still enjoying it a lot.

Surely the dials on the rifle are to calibrate the scope so that the reticle on the scope actually allows you to hit the target?

For example, you take a shot and it's high and left. You turn the dials to re-calibrate it to the right and down and retry with the scope on the target.

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    Yes I was thinking the same myself.

It is was as easy as putting the crosshairs on the target and pulling the trigger everyone would be able to do it!

It's disappointing when the show is built around long range shooting.

Saying that though, I am still enjoying it a lot.

It wouldn't have taken much, especially when he was scouting the locations for the president shot but it's too late now I guess.

Surely the dials on the rifle are to calibrate the scope so that the reticle on the scope actually allows you to hit the target?

For example, you take a shot and it's high and left. You turn the dials to re-calibrate it to the right and down and retry with the scope on the target.

I'd have a feeling the folks in the shooting forum would have a field day with that :) In the recent shot there's a red box on the cross hairs, that might be some adjustment, but the distance he shooting from the wind, gravity and curve of the earth would impact the shot and I don't know if flicking a dial a notch would impact that. It was covered in 1 of the Jack Reacher books, might be in the movie I can't remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

A lot of cheese... but i'm sticking with it. Almost looking forward to it.

Agent Memphis is great. Always good to see Fichtner and they made good use of the landscape too.

Nope doesn't work like that. If it did every Tom, D and H would be a great shot.

I brought it up at the start of the thread about him putting the hairs on the target from a mile out and hitting the target. From a series based on books that deal so much about guns and ballistics it do get this wrong a bit.

Basically the second a bullet leaves a barrel its subject to gravity, wind, air moisture and all sorts of things. If you are shooting at a distance you have to take into account how much the bullet will drop over its flight time. So you may have to aim through the crosshairs a bit above the target to let the bullet "drop" into the target.

Even if you have a static target changing winds will throw a bullet around even if you have the elevation right.

Its called "Kentucky Windage" when a shooter adjusts his aim rather than his scope to hit a target. i.e. aim high/low left/right

Its an incredibly complicated and detailed thing. I do a bit of shooting and I find it very hard to figure out. Thats why snipers have spotters, to tell them range, wind, etc.

Don't get me wrong really enjoying the series. And William Fichtner is great in everything. No exception here.

Very good episode.

• Advertisement
Advertisement