Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timeline

Options
  • 17-05-2016 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

How long from sale agreed to getting the keys does it typically take on a standard semi D property?

It's in my interests that it takes a few months as I've a 56 day notice period in my tenancy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

In my opinion, letters between solicitors take 2 weeks to be delivered, 2 weeks to be read, 2 weeks to be returned. Change that time frame to a month each time when the letters are going to and from the bank.

If there's a bank holiday coming up, you can write off that complete week.

St Patricks Day and Easter coming close to each other cost us a whole month this year!

56 days notice should be fine - you might end up begging for a bed for a few days!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

The longer the better. Have somewhere sorted to stay in the meantime bit anxious to save a few months rent so I can afford to buy a few chairs and a mattress for the new place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

No less than 3 months OP. There are so many variables and potential issues that may need to be resolved, it's impossible even for solicitor to give a rough guideline. You will have potentially plenty of rent/ mortgage free time to save up for those chairs depending on who is putting you up :)

No less than 3 months OP. There are so many variables and potential issues that may need to be resolved, it's impossible even for solicitor to give a rough guideline. You will have potentially plenty of rent/ mortgage free time to save up for those chairs depending on who is putting you up :)

Mammy is putting me up in exchange for DIY work :) great to hear it's so long!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

So you want to f*** about with the completion of a contract? With no thought about the consequences for the vendor?

The completion date should be agreed as part of the purchase transaction, and if you intentionally slow the business you might find yourself in difficulty.

• Advertisement

Relax.

I never said I would intentionally delay the completion of the sale, I said if the completion of the sale is agreed then it's in my interests. See the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

A well-prepared vendor could be in a position to complete in a few weeks rather than a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

A well-prepared vendor could be in a position to complete in a few weeks rather than a few months.

... if (s)he has a well-prepared solicitor and a well-prepared bank assistant and a well-prepared seller's solicitor and a well-prepared seller's bank assistant ...

Then so be it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

There's no time line I'm afraid, and things can go wrong right up until the moving date calling the whole thing off. Make sure you're keeping in contact with your solicitor who'll advise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

someone pulled out of buying our house, they had closed on another house 3 weeks later (granted we dont know what went on behind the scenes with that purchase).

We went sale agreed on christmas eve, closed last friday, 101 different reasons that can drag a sale on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Mine took from early July to end of October. Summer certainly didnt help as holidays caused delays. Even so, the original time completion date was 7th September, and we were still miles off at that point.

Advertisement