Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Collection for CEO?

Options
  • 17-05-2016 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I was just wondering what people thought of the following.

Our CEO of ETB is leaving this year. Our principal has suggested an envelope to put 10 Euros as a going away gesture.

Something doesn't sit right about this with me. CEO, I would bet, doesn't know who I am - I have had zero dealings with him in the years I have worked with this ETB.

Furthermore, why is it that the teachers are expected to contribute here? Should it not be the Board of Management? Parents Council? Why the easy targets?

Final point - is every teacher in the ETB expected to contribute 10 Euro? You're talking about serious wedge here, in that regard.

Of course, maybe I am being ridiculous here, I should just not rock the boat, etc - I have no problem contributing to collections for school staff - but this one seems a bit odd to me colleagues that I actually work with.

I'd really appreciate what other people think....Thanks.

Comments

Filing this one under "don't if you don't want to"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'd rather save my money for when one of the G.O.s or porters is leaving than give it to a CEO. They are not exactly on the breadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

What's next, a collection for the minister?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

I suppose it depends on the situation. In some cases and in some schools, the CEO would be quite involved and quite well known. This was the case in the last school I worked in and I was quite happy to contribute (and indeed we, as a staff, had a meal for/with that outgoing CEO). In that case though, it was a small, new school and the CEO, like I said, had been quite involved.

By contrast, I don't even remember the name of the CEO of my current ETB, I don't think I've ever met him and I wouldn't recognise him if he walked into my classroom unannounced (which was something my previous example did from time to time, meant in an interested rather than intrusive way) so if I was asked to contribute to him on his retirement I'd have no inclination to do so.

I'd say that this is one where you should contribute if you feel like you should or that you had some kind of working relationship with the CEO and you shouldn't if this is not the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

No

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Frankly frank

Massive salary and massive pension.
    Some neck.

Put a note in envelope asking would they like to donate to lesser paid mortals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

We had similar happen for a retiring principal, it was a suggestion than anybody I spoke to chose to ignore, it's not as if you have to put your name on the envelope.

I'd have no problem giving toward a present for a retiring colleague, but doesn't make much sense to me when retiree is probably on a bigger pension each month than most at the school take home.

Anyway, it's a gift, so optional, don't give it another thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭xtralong

I wouldn't, but please let us know what you decided to do in the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ethical

Some CEOs are 'normal' but I wouldnt do or contribute to a collection for them.Others are 'abnormal' and contribute to slieveen gombeen banana republic practises so I would definitely give them a wide berth when it came to putting money in an envelope.Read between the lines!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Definitely wouldn't myself. Seems ridiculous. Maybe the principal wants to look good in front of the CEO handing over the big wad of cash??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Its embarrassing sounding

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭icebergiceberg

chases0102 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I was just wondering what people thought of the following.

Our CEO of ETB is leaving this year. Our principal has suggested an envelope to put 10 Euros as a going away gesture.

Something doesn't sit right about this with me. CEO, I would bet, doesn't know who I am - I have had zero dealings with him in the years I have worked with this ETB.

Furthermore, why is it that the teachers are expected to contribute here? Should it not be the Board of Management? Parents Council? Why the easy targets?

Final point - is every teacher in the ETB expected to contribute 10 Euro? You're talking about serious wedge here, in that regard.

Of course, maybe I am being ridiculous here, I should just not rock the boat, etc - I have no problem contributing to collections for school staff - but this one seems a bit odd to me colleagues that I actually work with.

I'd really appreciate what other people think....Thanks.

Ricky Gervais asked: 'Are you 'aving a laugh?. 'Are you 'aving a laugh?'.
    10 euro a head? How many heads? Giving him the proceeds in an envelope? Or buying something with what's collected? Would he be invited to the school to be Presented with this? Who would present it?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭markfinn

Can't help but immediately think of a few of these, particularly the refund one.

http://dilbert.com/search_results?terms=I%27m+Collecting+Money

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭icebergiceberg

markfinn wrote: »
    Can't help but immediately think of a few of these, particularly the refund one.

http://dilbert.com/search_results?terms=I%27m+Collecting+Money

I have difficulty in a collection for what's his name who has been subbing briefly. But for a CEO who I have never met or who means nothing to me is you can forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

That is mind blowing! The BOM should send a bouquet of flowers/equivalent on behalf if the school! That would be €800 from my school alone!!

Advertisement