Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

W10 upgrade without consent

• 17-05-2016 9:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

I'm a little pissed off right now. Windows have been aggressively pushing Windows 10 on me for the past 9 months+. At first, it was every other week, a notification. Then weekly, then every other day, then every time I turned the PC on, it would have a recommended install date. But this morning they have done what I can only describe as CRIMINAL!!! I turned on my PC and it said it would update to W10 in 15 minutes. As usual, I clicked X to close their annoying notifications. I had to run an errand and when I returned, W10 was already installed on my PC WITHOUT MY CONSENT. Sure, I have the option to reinstall W7, but that will take up half of my day and I have seen that Microsoft are purposely making this difficult. Now I am stuck with their crappy NEW upgrade. Thanks Microsoft for ****ing up my day!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

goz83 wrote: »
    I'm a little pissed off right now. Windows have been aggressively pushing Windows 10 on me for the past 9 months+. At first, it was every other week, a notification. Then weekly, then every other day, then every time I turned the PC on, it would have a recommended install date. But this morning they have done what I can only describe as CRIMINAL!!! I turned on my PC and it said it would update to W10 in 15 minutes. As usual, I clicked X to close their annoying notifications. I had to run an errand and when I returned, W10 was already installed on my PC WITHOUT MY CONSENT. Sure, I have the option to reinstall W7, but that will take up half of my day and I have seen that Microsoft are purposely making this difficult. Now I am stuck with their crappy NEW upgrade. Thanks Microsoft for ****ing up my day!!

Is this widespread? I'm afraid to turn on my desktop now! Are you sure you didn't accidently click on install?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

Linux mint. You will never look back.

That's all I have to say. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I know if you have it set to install recommended updates it will install it as they have pushed it to being at that level now. So you may well have been tricked into clicking something that didn't explicitly state it was going to install W10 but was in fact giving consent to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭MooShop

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Is this widespread? I'm afraid to turn on my desktop now! Are you sure you didn't accidently click on install?

I'm afraid it sounds like it, same thing happened on my gf's laptop. Kept getting notifications about it, kept clicking not to install.

But eventually it just automatically installed itself, about 15 minutes into watching a G.O.T episode! I was reading up a bit about it and it looks like that on Win 7/8 by default it automatically installs "recommended" updates, and microsoft has now marked Win10 as a recommended update. Didn't really look into this, but this could be the reason.

Also another thing I considered was that when it did actually install itself, that time I just pressed the "X" (close) button in the top right corner of the dialog box. Every other time I explicitly clicked, "no" option. Doubt that caused it to download but just an observation.

I'd definitely be checking update options on any Win 7/8 machines if you don't want Win 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

MooShop wrote: »
    I'm afraid it sounds like it, same thing happened on my gf's laptop. Kept getting notifications about it, kept clicking not to install.

But eventually it just automatically installed itself, about 15 minutes into watching a G.O.T episode! I was reading up a bit about it and it looks like that on Win 7/8 by default it automatically installs "recommended" updates, and microsoft has now marked Win10 as a recommended update. Didn't really look into this, but this could be the reason.

Also another thing I considered was that when it did actually install itself, that time I just pressed the "X" (close) button in the top right corner of the dialog box. Every other time I explicitly clicked, "no" option. Doubt that caused it to download but just an observation.

I'd definitely be checking update options on any Win 7/8 machines if you don't want Win 10.

The "NO" option was not there. You had to click into "MORE INFO" to find the "NO" option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

You can uninstall fairly easily: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ie/windows-10/going-back-to-windows-7-or-windows-81

It actually keeps your old windows folder so it shouldn't take half a day to fix.

FWIW I'd give it a while before you roll back. Win 10 is very good and you have the hybrid start menu/tile thing and it works quite well. I'd see how you like it before going back to 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

stimpson wrote: »
    You can uninstall fairly easily: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ie/windows-10/going-back-to-windows-7-or-windows-81

It actually keeps your old windows folder so it shouldn't take half a day to fix.

FWIW I'd give it a while before you roll back. Win 10 is very good and you have the hybrid start menu/tile thing and it works quite well. I'd see how you like it before going back to 7.

Funny thing is it told me that I could reinstall the old version "but it might take a while" was the exact quote.

I had previously rolled back from W10 to 7 in July and it did not go so smoothly. It took a day to do it and I needed a new key issued because they couldn't find the key installed. They made it very awkward to go back. Same issue on my sons laptop. I would have stuck it out, but it was quite buggy and messed with my business. I will see if it has improved much, but I just prefer the W7, which worked perfectly fine for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭omerin

stimpson wrote: »

I am ****ing raging. This has installed today without my consent and now after trying to roll back to 7 during the downgrade process i got a blue screen and a dump of the memory. As a result when I boot up to 7 just as the 7 logo appears the keyboard caps light goes off and I get a blue screen with a memory dump. No new hardware is connected and the I have tried the startup repair and it cannot fix the error. I boot up with my 7 DVD and the repair option doesn't work because it is not the correct version of Windows. Any ideas?

Also one of the reasons to downgrade is that my outlook did not migrate correctly and I needed to enter server, password.... again :(

When I boot in safe mode it loads to the screen where you select the account you want to log in as but neither the mouse or keyboard work (usb) is there a way of deleting a 7 account outside of Windows?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Starting to hear a lot of stories now of Windows 10 installing itself without user consent.

The problem is that people can switch their computers on to do a job of work and then have to wait an hour or more before the upgrade is finished and they can start work. Worst case they panic and reboot and end up in a right mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

If you install gwx control panel it stops it from upgrading to windows 10 and stops notifications

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

If you install gwx control panel it stops it from upgrading to windows 10 and stops notifications

That looks like a great tool, going to set this up over the weekend. I don't want to update to W10 until most driver issues are resolved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭hopeso

I got the unwanted upgrade a couple of nights ago too..... I'm not a major user of a PC, and if I can log on and open Chrome, as well as save a few photos and files I'm happy. So far (touching wood as I type) Windows 10 is working fine.
    One thing I have noticed that's missing now is the option for a guest to log into the PC. When starting the PC with Windows 7, there was the option for me to log into my account, or for a guest to log in and use the PC. This was useful, as others use the PC occasionally. All I see when I'm starting Windows 10 is my name, and the password box. Is there some way of having the guest sign in option on Windows 10?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

omerin wrote: »
    Also one of the reasons to downgrade is that my outlook did not migrate correctly and I needed to enter server, password.... again :(

I've seen that happen a few times to people, it wouldn't send / receive mails and kept prompting them for password, the way around it was to open a command prompt with admin rights then run the command sfc /scannow

I've noticed more and more people are having their systems updated to W10 automatically without consent.

Also noticed that on a fair few machines that have updated to W10 the auto creation of system restore points for the C drive turn off, you need to manually turn it back on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

hopeso wrote: »
    I got the unwanted upgrade a couple of nights ago too..... I'm not a major user of a PC, and if I can log on and open Chrome, as well as save a few photos and files I'm happy. So far (touching wood as I type) Windows 10 is working fine.
    One thing I have noticed that's missing now is the option for a guest to log into the PC. When starting the PC with Windows 7, there was the option for me to log into my account, or for a guest to log in and use the PC. This was useful, as others use the PC occasionally. All I see when I'm starting Windows 10 is my name, and the password box. Is there some way of having the guest sign in option on Windows 10?

If you right click on my computer / this pc icon and select manage, on the left of the screen that appears there should be users and groups, click that and in the list you'll see a user called Guest with an arrow on it (means the account has been disabled), double click it and untick the option that says account is disabled.

I think that should now give you the option to log in as Guest.

If you right click on my computer / this pc icon and select manage, on the left of the screen that appears there should be users and groups, click that and in the list you'll see a user called Guest with an arrow on it (means the account has been disabled), double click it and untick the option that says account is disabled.

I think that should now give you the option to log in as Guest.

Works fine in Pro but not Home. For Home, use the following command (also works in Pro too):

net user guest /active:yes

More problems now...... The only browser that works on Windows 10 is microsoft's own browser... Chrome either won't open, or sometimes it opens and won't open a website. Maybe it's not the end of the world, but all my bookmarks are on chrome. I'm getting really pissed off with Windows 10 now, especially so as I never wanted it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36367221

Very bad form from Microsoft. I fail to understand their obsession with pushing this new OS onto people. I ran Windows 10 for a while and had all sorts of issues with drivers (I'm a PC technician so not a newbie) so nuked it and installed Arch Linux. Won't be going back to Windows again unless I really need to!

So anyone that gets that update box - do not just click on the X as it'll download anyway, apparently!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

PropJoe10 wrote: »

Very bad form from Microsoft. I fail to understand their obsession with pushing this new OS onto people. I ran Windows 10 for a while and had all sorts of issues with drivers (I'm a PC technician so not a newbie) so nuked it and installed Arch Linux. Won't be going back to Windows again unless I really need to!

So anyone that gets that update box - do not just click on the X as it'll download anyway, apparently!

You need to kill in in task manager the same way you kill other spam type crap to stop it executing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,410 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Basically train you that clicking the red x cancels the update and then a month or two later change the behaviour so that clicking the red x let's it update, the amount of time and in some cases money people need to waste repairing broken installs or rolling back an unwanted upgrades collectively must be huge. Would expect a fair bit of fallout for microsoft because of it
    Another program to disable update to 10, just modifies group policy, very small easy to run
    https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Happened in work this morning, alot of the equipment in the labs have specific drivers that are not operational in W10, and took alot of messing about to get working in W7 due to their age. Most I had taken off the network so it didn't happen but some have to be networked for license issues.

Thanksfully the role back was easy enough and took less than 30 minutes on most machines but christ it is a pain.
    More problems now...... The only browser that works on Windows 10 is microsoft's own browser... Chrome either won't open, or sometimes it opens and won't open a website. Maybe it's not the end of the world, but all my bookmarks are on chrome. I'm getting really pissed off with Windows 10 now, especially so as I never wanted it!

I have 10 on my home laptop, Chrome has never caused an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

This is how viruses behave not what is the world's largest desktop OS...

Uninstall google chrome, go onto ninite website and download it from there, all your bookmarks should still be on it

PropJoe10 wrote: »

Or as I said use gwx control panel and it stops all updating to windows 10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

If anything will drive people to Linux this would be. Except that Linux is a still substantial learning curve and I don't think the drivers are as good yet.

MS is so annoying these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Yep saw that, not everyone is going to do that, though. So best to warn people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

beauf wrote: »
    If anything will drive people to Linux this would be. Except that Linux is a still substantial learning curve and I don't think the drivers are as good yet.

MS is so annoying these days.
    I have to admit that it has finally driven me away from Windows. I've used the MS product since MS-DOS/ Windows 1 days. Windows vista was a wake up call for me, but Win 10 was the last nail in the coffin.

I have both of my PCs running Linux now and Windows is in my rear view mirror. I had no driver issues at all during the conversion to Linux, and the machines seem to be running faster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭claregal1

My laptop also updated to W10 without my consent. I'm not very pc lavy but now I can't seem to open chrome and also a lot of tax documents that I had saved in my desktop are now gone . Do I need to reinstall chrome or is it not compatible with W10 ? Any way of finding my documents or are they gone for good ?Any help would be greatly appreciated .

• Advertisement

I use GWX Control Panel myself for convenience but if you want to do it yourself, the following two registry changes are all you need. The first one disables the tray application and the second one prevents Windows Update from downloading Windows 10.

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\GWX" /v "DisableGWX" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate" /v "DisableOSUpgrade" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,482 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Chrome works perfectly well on Win 10..

If you're having issues with Chrome - it's got nothing to do with W10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭long_b

By far the easiest way to permanently stop PC trying to upgrade to Windows 10, using the official Microsoft approved method.

Bad looking website but this guy is a security guru and hugely respected by everyone.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

My upgrade failed and ended up with a laptop that blue screened upon booting. Ended up having to pay to get it fixed =/ Absolutely livid with microsoft.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

My upgrade failed and ended up with a laptop that blue screened upon booting. Ended up having to pay to get it fixed =/ Absolutely livid with microsoft.
    I'm still not comfortable with the concept of upgrading Windows. It never worked properly in the past. And situations like yours only reinforce that belief. It should not have been pushed out en masse like this.

I really don't like the way it's going, especially that every new build of Windows 10 is treated as a new OS, therefore requiring an upgrade. I can see myself formatting and reinstalling Windows 10 every 6 months since I won't be comfortable upgrading it to whatever new build they release.

Microsoft are just hastening the move to Linux and possibly Android desktops.

Also Apple must be absolutely delighted too. I'm sure they're having Chai Lattes in a minimalist glass cube somewhere laughing their asses off.

I know 3 people who moved to Mac OS machines on the basis that Apple hasn't (as yet) thrown anyone under a bus with jarring GUI changes and actually looks more familiar to Windows 7 users than Windows 8 and 10...

Once a version of Linux becomes a "on trend" and starts to get wide uptake Microsoft is in deep trouble and they've just hit fast forward by behaving like malware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

long_b wrote: »
    By far the easiest way to permanently stop PC trying to upgrade to Windows 10, using the official Microsoft approved method.

Bad looking website but this guy is a security guru and hugely respected by everyone.

I was afraid of this happening, all those bullying ads drove me mad until I found a tip to rename the gwx folder. This quietened things down and I could work without constant interruptions but I didn't believe they had gone away. Thanks to your link I was able to run the check on my pc and found that it was enabled for automatic upgrade. It isn't now. :) Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

12Phase wrote: »
    Microsoft are just hastening the move to Linux and possibly Android desktops.

Also Apple must be absolutely delighted too. I'm sure they're having Chai Lattes in a minimalist glass cube somewhere laughing their asses off.

I know 3 people who moved to Mac OS machines on the basis that Apple hasn't (as yet) thrown anyone under a bus with jarring GUI changes and actually looks more familiar to Windows 7 users than Windows 8 and 10...

Once a version of Linux becomes a "on trend" and starts to get wide uptake Microsoft is in deep trouble and they've just hit fast forward by behaving like malware.

Windows 10 is almost the same as Win7 but works alot better imo. iOS looks nothing like any version of Windows either.

I have been using Win 10 since the beta and never had any issue with it, I jumped to it because of Windows 8 in fairness, that was a mess. Win 10 just feels like a faster, smarter version of 7.

iOS is a mobile operating system. It isn't remotely like anything desktop based.

OS X is fairly familiar looking though. I just know a few people who found the tiles thing was a bridge too far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,482 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

12Phase wrote: »
    iOS is a mobile operating system. It isn't remotely like anything desktop based.

OS X is fairly familiar looking though. I just know a few people who found the tiles thing was a bridge too far.

W10 has dumped the W8 metro interface

lawred2 wrote: »
    Chrome works perfectly well on Win 10..

If you're having issues with Chrome - it's got nothing to do with W10

Chrome worked fine on my PC with windows 7, and for the first 2 days after getting Windows 10 dumped on me...... A quick search brings up countless forums with people having the same problem

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I've not had problems with W10 and chrome. Thats not say there isn't an issue.

You can install an app to go back to the classic interface on W8 and W10. Takes no longer than installing an app on your phone.

But these updates. Grrrrrrr.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

This might explain some of it

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36376962
    Microsoft has u-turned over changes it made to a pop-up encouraging users to upgrade to Windows 10.

Users were angry that clicking the cross to dismiss the box meant that they had agreed to the upgrade.

Based on "customer feedback", Microsoft said it would add another notification that provided customers with "an additional opportunity for cancelling the upgrade".

of course people who were used to the pop up might now get caught the other way

Advertisement