Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling in Bus Lane

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

do i recall beasty mentioning he'd been stopped at least once on the airport road and berated by cops for not using the cycle lane?
    I bet they won't be doing that again. Can you imagine?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

josip wrote: »
    I didn't think it was illegal to cycle on footpaths?
    I thought cycling on footpaths without due care and attention was illegal?

http://irishcycle.com/2015/07/19/cycling-fines-what-you-need-to-know-from-august-1/
    .. Oh, ok, I stand corrected, thanks for the link. However, I'm sure that'd be a whole other days lecture from my Starsky & Hutch genius pair :D
    To be clear, cycling on a footpath is still illegal, and was for God knows how long prior to the FPN regime. It is just not an explicit FPN offence, and what has been referenced just suggested that the "without reasonable consideration" clause could be used to fine those cycling on footpaths in the absence of the explicit FPN offence. Never mind that arguably a footpath is also a "pedestrianised area", though I'm sure there's some subtle distinction differentiating them.

Catch a Garda on a bad day and he/she could still bring you to court for cycling on a footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Could cycling in a bus lane when there is a bike track available be considered "cycling without reasonable consideration"?
    (Even if the bike lane is crap!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

'i have given the matter reasonable consideration, guard, and concluded that the bus lane is safer'.

no court in the land would convict you.*

*i am not a legal professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Could cycling in a bus lane when there is a bike track available be considered "cycling without reasonable consideration"?
    (Even if the bike lane is crap!)

Its such a catch all term that basically anything goes. Cycling two a breast would fall under this, cycling too far from the kerb, simply holding up traffic on a winding road could be.

Its a typical "if they give you any lip hit them with this" type charge as it really is totally down to the garda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

That stretch is a nightmare.

I cycled it everyday for a few years. Cycle on the 'cycle path' and you get thrown onto the road before junctions, left hooked by motorists turning into garages, hit tons of debris and dead leaves and have to slow right down on the downhill section.

Cycling on the road is generally safer but you get buzzed repeatedly by Dublin Bus drivers and occasionally abused by drivers.

I tended to stay on the cycle-lane/footpath past Glasnevin Cemetery, join the road at Claremount court for the downhill bit/garages then go off-road again at the Tolka.

I had three complaints upheld against Dublin Bus in less than three years. The Gardai were generally very sympathetic.

Now I just take a different route.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,999 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

you should have followed them down to the criminal courts where they were proibably heading to park their car up along with the other 15 garda cars in the cycle lane at the bottom of the phoenix park.

unless of course they are one of the considerate ones who actually just leave their whole car up on the footpath or in the wheelchair or taxi space

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Star hurl

The traffic corps is not amongst the most popular of units within the guards according to my Garda friends most regular beat gardai probably wouldn't give a ****e ha !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,850 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Seve OB wrote: »
    you should have followed them down to the criminal courts where they were proibably heading to park their car up along with the other 15 garda cars in the cycle lane at the bottom of the phoenix park.

True!

cyclestreets67345-size640.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Leroy42 wrote: »
    They has been so many instances of bad practice over the last few years that it is clearly a mindset within the force rather than a few rotten apples as we are supposed to believe

I have become quite fascinated how people say not to worry about the system, that it's just a few bad apples. How does the rest of that adage go again, with regard to the barrel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It also happened to someone around Lusk I think, there's been a few incidents of it.
    That was myself - Garda Sergeant pulled across my path with flashing lights and sirens Starsky and Hutch style. After a long winded debate (where he said several time that he would do the questioning, not me) he asked if I had a driving licence. When I responded that I did, but didn't require it for cycling, he advised me that I was fortunate, as otherwise he'd be putting points on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 demonreedler

That was myself - Garda Sergeant pulled across my path with flashing lights and sirens Starsky and Hutch style. After a long winded debate (where he said several time that he would do the questioning, not me) he asked if I had a driving licence. When I responded that I did, but didn't require it for cycling, he advised me that I was fortunate, as otherwise he'd be putting points on it.

Do these clowns just make it up as they go along ? "I am an Garda - I am the Law" - too many US cop movies I think. I got the very same attitude i.e. keep it shut sonny - I do the talking, you do the listening etc.. etc.. as he proceeds to talk utter garbage about how I can't use the bus lane if there's a cycle lane present.

It just wears me out and is much more frustrating than idiots cutting me up, because theses fools are tasked with upholding laws they haven't even bothered to familiarise themselves with.

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    True!

every bloody day. and that looks to me like it was a quiet day!!!

do these guys not realise their job is to uphold the law. it does not mean they are above the law.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what powers would the garda be able to call on if you insisted on recording such an exchange on your phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

what powers would the garda be able to call on if you insisted on recording such an exchange on your phone?

"Filming without due care and attention"

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Seve OB wrote: »
    Tenzor07 wrote: »
    True!

every bloody day. and that looks to me like it was a quiet day!!!

do these guys not realise their job is to uphold the law. it does not mean they are above the law.
    At least it's some use of the lane, I cycle this way every morning, most people stay in the main lane as the surface is so bad here. Hopefully this will be resurfaced with some of the money being given to OPW for Bike Paths in the park.

liamog wrote: »
    At least it's some use of the lane, I cycle this way every morning, most people stay in the main lane as the surface is so bad here. Hopefully this will be resurfaced with some of the money being given to OPW for Bike Paths in the park.

haha, to true

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I wouldn't hold my breath about the cycle lanes in the Park. A few weeks ago, the cycel lane on the old lamps road was closed to allow cars drive on it.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

I wouldn't hold my breath about the cycle lanes in the Park. A few weeks ago, the cycel lane on the old lamps road was closed to allow cars drive on it.... :rolleyes:

I had to look that one up - I'd never heard the name before, apparently it's "Odd Lamp Road".

The cycle lane on it was closed on Saturday as well, they use it as an alternate road when they close Chesterfield Avenue - http://www.phoenixpark.ie/newsevents/title,24084,en.html

For those who don't know it, during the week it's fenced off with bollards (at this point: https://goo.gl/maps/N1nqAnr65tT2), and so only open to cycle and foot traffic. A contra-flow bike lane exists, though I'm not sure it's needed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Cycling downhill into town on the Finglas Road (past apartments on the old Premier Dairies site) I get pulled over by two Garda in a traffic corps car.

"Why are you in the bus lane? why can't you use the cycle lane? ". .

I just remembered this thread this morning!.

I was riding my motobike down the N2 and immediately in front of me a cyclist was (unsuccesfully) trying to mount the cycle lane at the old Premier Dairies when his front wheel hit the higher edge of the pavement where there's a gap in the cycle lane at the apartments (old Premier Dairies).

The poor lad went straight over the bars and was left in a terrible state with head & facial injuries, a very broken left hand and other injuries.

Anyway, just watch dismounting and mounting those cycle paths!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Feed Up

A note of caution:

A few years ago, in a social setting, I was talking to a Garda Inspector. Unprompted, he stated that you should be very careful when dealing with a Guard, as you don't know what type of boll.x he/she is. He went on to state that they were in every station in the country and cause no end of trouble.

He has since been promoted to Super.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

Deedsie wrote: »
    Ouch, I saw something kind of similar about a month ago... a cyclist was coming down the Northbound N11 cycle lane just before Brewery road junction. I was walking on the footpath and the cyclist was coming towards me.

He was using his phone to read something and veered straight into the kerb. Got an awful hop.

I have pity on the first lad to went over the handle bars but this fella got what he deserved for not paying attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

Deedsie wrote: »
    Very true but I'd say he learned his lesson that day.

Hopefully ;)

Advertisement